Mailing Correspondence Onboard

tmee

Hello all,

I have a question regarding mailing letters and/or post cards from the QM2. I will be sailing westbound to NYC and I would like to have the special QM2 stamp on my correspondence. The question I have is this; how much is a first class postage to the USA from the ship? I assume the letter will be posted in the US upon arrival in NYC (but please correct me if I am wrong) Previously I purchased the postage onboard, (I don’t quite remember the cost) But I thought I would think ahead  and have the correct US stamps already.

Also do you know if you can drop the letter in the little red postage box? or does one need to take it to the pursers office?

Thank you in advance for your help.

tmee

You should be able to affix standard US postal stamps to the cards and drop them in the red post box since a WB TA would drop off the mail at the US Postal Service in New York. More details here. Since you specifically want the QM2 stamp, I'd ask at the Purser's Desk if they need to do that before you drop it in the box or whether everything going out is stamped.

Edited by BlueRiband

Hello all,

I have a question regarding mailing letters and/or post cards from the QM2. I will be sailing westbound to NYC and I would like to have the special QM2 stamp on my correspondence. The question I have is this; how much is a first class postage to the USA from the ship? I assume the letter will be posted in the US upon arrival in NYC (but please correct me if I am wrong) Previously I purchased the postage onboard, (I don’t quite remember the cost) But I thought I would think ahead  and have the correct US stamps already.

Also do you know if you can drop the letter in the little red postage box? or does one need to take it to the pursers office?

Thank you in advance for your help.

tmee

Trust this assists - Think the postage was about US$ 1.50 per postcard

https://ask.cunard.com/help/fleet/mail_ship

If you put the stamps on yourself, you pay only what the US post office charges, no handling fee by Cunard. For postcard mailed in the US to the US it's 34 cents. For a one-ounce first-class card or letter (or oversized postcard) it's 47 cents.

I do know that they collect the mail from the red post box, but I don't know if it gets the Cunard stamp.

Thank you guys very much for the information! I will be ready with, a book of stamps :) and my address book :D

(I will stop by the pursers to see if I can get the QM2 stamp)

I love writing letters and sending postcards... it seems as though I receive so few these days

tmee

Thank you guys very much for the information! I will be ready with, a book of stamps :) and my address book :D

(I will stop by the pursers to see if I can get the QM2 stamp)

I love writing letters and sending postcards... it seems as though I receive so few these days

tmee

I send postcards, too. And I love getting postcards.

When I had to clean out my parents' house, I found a box full of postcards. Mom must have saved EVERY postcard she ever got! I enjoyed looking through them, and saved several that I sent to her. I've added them to my travel journals.

These days it seems that people don't send postcards, they text/email selfies.

I send postcards, too. And I love getting postcards.

When I had to clean out my parents' house, I found a box full of postcards. Mom must have saved EVERY postcard she ever got! I enjoyed looking through them, and saved several that I sent to her. I've added them to my travel journals.

These days it seems that people don't send postcards, they text/email selfies.

What a nice memory of your mom!! :D

Another huge fan of postcards here [at the ripe age of 33! haha]. It's a pity there is so little appreciation of the written word nowadays. Texts and emails are just NOT the same...they are fleeting sentiments with no sense of occasion or lasting memory. They serve a purpose in today's world but cannot replace a hand-written note.

For those who have posted aboard QM2, is the special stamp the actual postmark or is it just something extra they stamp on the card? I will be back on board in Jan and will make a point to send a few cards out to friends and family.

Edited by Bostonjetset