The Liberty Sits In Galveston.

BallFour4

We were on the Liberty last fall when it had the engine fire. We received a full refund, plus 1/2 off the price of our next cruise. We booked a seven day. Not sure how many days the terms stated. We also were to be reimbursed for our airfare and transportation such as taxi fares. We also received I believe $200 in onboard credit per person. We were shocked at how generous they were.

As it turned out we were doing a b2b and they flew us to Galveston via Miami from San juan. They put us up the night in a really nice hotel in Miami and upgraded us to a grand suite on the Magic.

We came back from our cruise feeling like we still needed a vacation, partly because I caught a cold during the second week, but we have zero complaints about how we were treated by Carnival, and can't wait to board the Glory next spring.

Nope. This is from JH FB page. I was right.

"Guests scheduled to sail on this voyage will receive a full refund of their cruise, along with a 100 percent future cruise credit and $90 per person reimbursement representing a previously promised onboard credit and stipend for meals in Galveston yesterday."

Here is the whole post for those who might be wondering about other cruises:

Here is the official statement on Carnival Liberty

The cruise ship Carnival Liberty, which is homeported in Galveston, Texas, is experiencing a technical issue which is affecting the ship’s maximum cruising speed. The issue is only affecting the ship’s speed and all other systems are operating normally. The ship arrived in Galveston yesterday and we have been working with outside technical experts which we brought on to help us confirm our repair plan.

Guests had boarded the vessel yesterday in anticipation of sailing, however, outside technical experts, together with the ship’s technical team, conducted a deeper inspection of one of the diesel generators overnight and uncovered an additional problem not previously known. It has now been determined that one of the alternators cannot be readily fixed. This means the ship will not be able to maintain the sufficient speed needed to operate the itinerary as planned and unfortunately we must cancel today’s cruise.

Guests scheduled to sail on this voyage will receive a full refund of their cruise, along with a 100 percent future cruise credit and $90 per person reimbursement representing a previously promised onboard credit and stipend for meals in Galveston yesterday.

While repairs are ongoing, the itinerary for the ship’s next two voyages will be modified, as well. The Nov. 5 five-day cruise will include a full day call in Cozumel, however, the call in Progreso will be cancelled. The Nov. 10 four-day cruise will include a call in Progreso instead of Cozumel. Guests sailing on these voyages will receive a $50 per person credit to their shipboard accounts and a 25 percent discount on a future Carnival cruise. Guests also have the option of cancelling and receiving a full refund. Voyages departing Nov. 14 and beyond are scheduled to operate their normal itinerary.

We sincerely apologize to our guests for this disruption in their vacation plans.

This official statement from Carnival is quite different than John Heald's which is:

"We will provide you with a full refund of your cruise and any pre purchased excursions and Fun Shop items. We’d love nothing more than the opportunity to provide you with the cruise experience you were expecting and will gladly apply a 100% credit of the amount paid for this cruise toward your next 2-5 day cruise on Carnival. Additionally, a check for $90 per person will be mailed to your home representing the onboard credit we had promised and reimbursement for your meals yesterday.

A 100 percent refund and a full credit is quite extrodinary for a cruise which did not even leave.

This official statement from Carnival is quite different than John Heald's which is:

"We will provide you with a full refund of your cruise and any pre purchased excursions and Fun Shop items. We’d love nothing more than the opportunity to provide you with the cruise experience you were expecting and will gladly apply a 100% credit of the amount paid for this cruise toward your next 2-5 day cruise on Carnival. Additionally, a check for $90 per person will be mailed to your home representing the onboard credit we had promised and reimbursement for your meals yesterday.

A 100 percent refund and a full credit is quite extrodinary for a cruise which did not even leave.

It's really not that different for those of us that understood it to begin with. Anyway no use in continuing to discuss the interpretation to death, as it is what it is - full refund of cancelled cruise plus the same amount applied towards a future cruise.

I will agree with you that is is generous. I am happy they are taking care of the passengers.

There is talk on Heald's page that all of the November Liberty cruises are toast and that it is going to dry dock early. :( Don't take it as news, only hearsay, but it has me nervous. I wish Carnival was being more communicative for folks who are on the cruises coming up soon.

There is talk on Heald's page that all of the November Liberty cruises are toast and that it is going to dry dock early. :( Don't take it as news, only hearsay, but it has me nervous. I wish Carnival was being more communicative for folks who are on the cruises coming up soon.

If that were the case, would you get any compensation other than your money back? In a perfect world, they could put you on another cruise. I know that isn't possible but I know how much I look forward to my cruises. I can't imagine it being cancelled like that!

The last we heard today from a Carnival rep ( not official email) it's still on, but still have late embarkation and no stop in Progresso. I'm not too concerned about Progresso, but I'm confused as to why the late embarkation lol We don't have to wait for others to debark and the rooms to be cleaned lol

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Ok, stupid question but, the Liberty has 6 Wartsila diesels onboard. They said the problem was with only one of them. Ships don't normally have all six running at the same time, so what's the issue with only one being down?

Ok, stupid question but, the Liberty has 6 Wartsila diesels onboard. They said the problem was with only one of them. Ships don't normally have all six running at the same time, so what's the issue with only one being down?

the problem maybe the propeller, azipod or some other part that makes the ship move and not the engine. It is like the drive train/transmission for your car.

Generally, but I can't say for sure about Liberty, the ship is capable of making full speed on 5 of 6 engines, as this allows for one engine to be down for overhaul and not affect the itinerary. These total overhauls are scheduled every 12k running hours (about 2 years), and take 2-3 weeks to complete. If one engine is torn down for overhaul, and another engine (from Carnival statements it is the alternator attached to the engine) fails, then the ship cannot make full speed, and hence itineraries need to be changed. I think that with the late return from the previous cruise, and the need for time to complete repairs, it was simpler, though costly, to cancel the cruise. It will be interesting to see if the next cruise stays in place, and if the ship may be up to full speed, as if my scenario is correct they could have finished the overhaul and be back up to 5 engines.

the problem maybe the propeller, azipod or some other part that makes the ship move and not the engine. It is like the drive train/transmission for your car.

Carnival's statement in the CC news article states it is a problem with one of the alternators attached to the diesels.

Ah that would make sense. Didn't read CCL's statement, just John Healds.

Really one of the issues with sailing from the gulf is the lack of ports of call. If this were a Miami based ship and she's limited in top speed or down a propeller, then they just turn these into a Bahamas cruise.

Nothing foreign is close by in the gulf.

Confusing part is why are we still suppose to board late if the reason was to do the turnover. I am concerned about us being able to go on Saturday. I would hope if we are going and still leaving late Carnival would at least let us board at regular times......this is terrible waiting for yes, no, maybe or I don't know. So many rumors floating around it is not even funny.......Carnival should make an update at least to the ones who have already received emails about next 2 cruises.....