DCL cruiser loved the Vista

sm3ds

We are platinum on DCL and took our first non-Disney cruise on the Vista this Fall. I have to say for all the accolades DCL gets and all the bashing Carnival gets I really couldn't tell the difference. In fact I much preferred the Vista over Disney's top rated Fantasy.

I love Disney there are intangibles that are hard to describe with the characters and the family atmosphere, but of course that comes at a hefty premium. I will say as far as the ship, service, entertainment and food goes Carnival was good as or better than DCL. The food on Carnival is so much better there's no comparison. Like I said I love Disney, but food is not their strong point. Not much different then the crap they serve in their parks.

My kids still prefer the teen clubs on Disney, but they were not disappointed in the Vista. Because I have kids I will continue to cruise Disney when it's affordable.

We have a cruise booked on DCL next month and then we'll be back on the Vista this Summer. I'm glad we found an alternative, since Disney's prices aren't always in the budget.

Edited by sm3ds

We feel the same! We've done 4 DCL cruises and did the Vista in June and loved her. I really didn't think I could ever like a ship more than the Disney Fantasy but I loved Vista! We actually have a B2B on the the Vista for the first 2 weeks in June 2017 and we're finally going to be on Disney Magic next October, will complete our Grand Slam.

We're anxiously awaiting the release of the Horizon itineraries for summer 2018, our oldest graduates and we're hoping for a British Isles or Northern Europe itinerary.

I'm so happy we tried Carnival, it really opened up A Whole New World, (you see what I did there), for us in cruising.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am so glad you posted this. We also did the Disney Fantasy. Fine cruise overall with some aspects being better but NOT WORTH the price premium.

And I agree about the food.

We are about to book the Vista for spring break 2017, Can't wait!!

Thanks.

I'm also looking forward to booking Horizon.

Any idea when 2018 itineraries will be out?

I read itineraries are supposed to be out the first week of December but I don't know if they'll be taking bookings right away or not.

Thanks for posting. We are gold DCL and going on the carnival magic for the first time in about 27 days! I agree dcl food wasn't the best' date=' but if you want AWFUL food that is on princess! Lol. I can't wait to try guys burgers![/quote']

Guy's are great and also be sure to grab a breakfast burrito at Blue Iguana!! I don't know if the Magic had it or not but at lunch time the Vista had homemade and hand scooped ice cream in the dessert area of the Lido Buffet, it was fantastic, very creamy and gelato like. They had 2 flavors everyday.

The seaday brunch is also worth attending, excellent steak and eggs. If you have kids do the Dr. Seuss breakfast, it's only $5/person and was fun, good food too!

If you're on a long enough cruise you may be able to get a dessert called Bitter n Blanc - order it, its excellent, bread pudding with white and dark chocolate with a vanilla cream sauce, best dessert I've ever had on a ship!

We went into our Vista cruise with the attitude of this will not be Disney, and walked away realizing, every cruise doesn't have to be Disney! We had a great time with great people, (crew), and now consider ourselves "Carnies."

I hope you enjoy your cruise!

We sailed Disney years ago when our kids were young, and have sailed several different cruise lines since. We have to agree, and people just don't typically believe it, but CCL truly DOES have the BEST food!!! It is great reading posts from platinum/gold cruisers from other lines who 'try' CCL and agree!!!:)

We are platinum on DCL and took our first non-Disney cruise on the Vista this Fall. I have to say for all the accolades DCL gets and all the bashing Carnival gets I really couldn't tell the difference. In fact I much preferred the Vista over Disney's top rated Fantasy.

I love Disney there are intangibles that are hard to describe with the characters and the family atmosphere, but of course that comes at a hefty premium. I will say as far as the ship, service, entertainment and food goes Carnival was good as or better than DCL. The food on Carnival is so much better there's no comparison. Like I said I love Disney, but food is not their strong point. Not much different then the crap they serve in their parks.

My kids still prefer the teen clubs on Disney, but they were not disappointed in the Vista. Because I have kids I will continue to cruise Disney when it's affordable.

We have a cruise booked on DCL next month and then we'll be back on the Vista this Summer. I'm glad we found an alternative, since Disney's prices aren't always in the budget.

Glad you enjoyed it.

So glad to here, i so sick of people bashing carnival over petty stuff. I honestly dont think i could ever do a disney cruise since im not a big fan of their parks or the experience. Even though i do like disney movies and characters. I did like the Vista but honestly its not my favorite carnival ship experience. Doing my first Royal cruise on the Harmony in a couple months. Im glad we all have choices when it comes to cruising. Theres honestly something for everyone out there.

Thank you for this post. We are 2 adults...gold on DCL...and Disney lovers....but the price increases have left me bitter. I finally sailed the Allure of the seas this past spring, and I am so glad I did. I've been anxiously reading and awaiting Vista reviews. Hearing these comments help to ease my fear of busting my DCL bubble....

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

What activities were on the Vista that your kids enjoyed? Have sailed 3 times on DCL and once on RC. Have been looking at Carnival Vista (and Breeze as well) but curious about kids activities. My kids will be 14 and 12 when we want to sail again in May so just wondering what your kids enjoyed about Vista. Thanks!

What activities were on the Vista that your kids enjoyed? Have sailed 3 times on DCL and once on RC. Have been looking at Carnival Vista (and Breeze as well) but curious about kids activities. My kids will be 14 and 12 when we want to sail again in May so just wondering what your kids enjoyed about Vista. Thanks!

They have lots of outdoor activities. Sky ride, ropes course, mini golf, bowling, water slides, basketball, ping pong, thrill theatre and Imax. The Circle C activities are similar to the Edge. The only negative is the limited hours of the teen club. Unlike DCL they do not keep the club open from morning to late night. They open late on port days and close during dinner hours. The counselors in the clubs were also nothing to write home about.

Even with all the activities on the Vista my kids still prefer DCL. That doesn't mean we won't sail on the Vista again they liked it well enough just not as much as DCL. On my survey I scored Carnival a 10 in every area except the teen club I gave them a 5. I think on a cruise with more sea days and more kids onboard it would be a different experience for my kids. We were on European cruise in the offseason so keep that in mind. The port days were long and the cruisers were a lot older then you see on DCL.

Our next cruise will be on DCL, but we will sail on the Vista again.

As far as what my kids enjoyed most about the ship I'd have to say Guys burgers and Cherry on top.

I could never understand the attraction of Disney to anyone over 5.

Disney does a very good job with kids and teens. It's a family cruise line and they market themselves as such. They offer a unique product, but it's not for everyone. I wouldn't say you have to be under 5 to enjoy a DCL cruise. Carnival and Disney to me are both very enjoyable. I wouldn't say ones better than the other just different.