Recent cruisers - wifi pricing

AnalyzeThis

Hi! In August I was on the Epic in Europe but I can't find my itemized receipt to show the wifi pricing. I was curious if the pricing onboard is the same or more than when pre-purchasing online?

Online the pricing is 100 min for $75, 250 for $125 and unlimited for $210.

Thanks in advance!

It blows my mind people want to use WiFi and stay connected on a cruise.

I build wireless networks for a living, and I can't wait to go unplugged.

My MIL is 92 and we like to stay in touch with family to make sure everything is okay at home. Also like to reassure family that we are fine as well.

We like to be able to pay our bills online and read a little news from home.

Wendy:)

Hi! In August I was on the Epic in Europe but I can't find my itemized receipt to show the wifi pricing. I was curious if the pricing onboard is the same or more than when pre-purchasing online?

Online the pricing is 100 min for $75, 250 for $125 and unlimited for $210.

Thanks in advance!

The $ 3.95 activation fee is waived when pre-purchased online

It's $29.99 per day for cruises of 1-12 days and $25.99 per day for cruises of more than 12 days. The other rates quoted are correct. Some Latitudes levels get extra minutes with some purchases. You may have a day (or several for a long cruise) or so grace period for unlimited purchase thereby reducing the cost by the amount of however many days. This info will be posted at the internet desk. Myncl. com showed the $3.95 access free for pre-purchase, but I haven't had to pay it for unlimited packages purchased on the ship which I've done twice. I did have to pay it for a timed package purchased onboard.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

Edited by Rhea98

It blows my mind people want to use WiFi and stay connected on a cruise.

I build wireless networks for a living, and I can't wait to go unplugged.

Wow, such snap judgement when you don't know how I intend to use the wifi.

I'm a single traveler and it's a convenient, quick way to let my family know that I'm okay.

It blows my mind people want to use WiFi and stay connected on a cruise. I build wireless networks for a living, and I can't wait to go unplugged.

It blow my mind that you would attack people for doing what they want to do. For someone who builds networks for a living, you should be ashamed of yourself for taking to anonymous bullying on this forum.

Edited by BirdTravels

It COMPLETELY blows my mind when one person judges another !

....I'm not judging anyone. I just don't understand why people want to pay bills and use WiFi when they are on a cruise.

How did people get by on flights or cruises before WiFi!! We live in a always connected world now and elementary schoolers have cell phones beacuse their parents want to make sure they can get ahold of them. I'm not saying its a bad idea, but literally every generation that has ever existed up to this point got by without WiFi on planes and cruise ships - and now people die at the thought of going unplugged lol.

Different strokes, for different folks.

Edited by jetter2

Trust me...I would love nothing more than to unplug during vacation time; however, my boss has instructed that I have internet access while on vacation!!!!

Than you are a slave to your boss and not really on vacation. Time to look for a new job that offers a "real" vacation. So sad to see someone controlled by their job/boss. :(

My MIL is 92 and we like to stay in touch with family to make sure everything is okay at home. Also like to reassure family that we are fine as well.

Wendy:)

My MIL is elderly and has several health issues so in order for us to even consider going on vacation we have to have a way to keep in touch. In this respect, wi-fi has been a blessing for us. On the other hand, I remember the days of scrambling in port to find a payphone to check on our children and grabbing the daily news updates at guest services :eek:

I do have a couple of questions, tho, as this is first time on NCL. How is the connectivity on board? Also, are there any embarkation speciasl for wifi? We have done unlimited in the past but may just pick and choose days due to pricing.

....I'm not judging anyone. I just don't understand why people want to pay bills and use WiFi when they are on a cruise.

We live in a always connected world now and elementary schoolers have cell phones beacuse their parents want to make sure they can get ahold of them. I'm not saying its a bad idea, but literally every generation that has ever existed up to this point got by without WiFi on planes and cruise ships - and now people die at the thought of going unplugged lol.

Different strokes, for different folks.

My great grandparents didn't understand the need for automobiles (literally every generation that had ever existed up to that point got by without automobiles) much less the very ridiculous concept of flight with a very extended etc for all changes (progress?) over time. Perhaps more about a different world for a different generation than different strokes. One "pastime" that has probably bridged the most generations is alcohol consumption. On cruises, I've observed that many people enjoy drinking and gambling-possibly more than when at home. It makes no sense to me, but, hey, it's what they enjoy. I'm writing this from my cruise. I bought an unlimited web access for less than the gratuity on the UBP for DH and me. He doesn't care about 'keeping in touch', but he likes to keep up with sports and news. He also enjoys reading the local paper. I like being connected. Fortunately, I have the choice. For those who don't, I hope they have a great cruise anyway.

I do have a couple of questions, tho, as this is first time on NCL. How is the connectivity on board? Also, are there any embarkation speciasl for wifi? We have done unlimited in the past but may just pick and choose days due to pricing.

The internet speed is greatly improved on Epic-not like home, but way faster than previous (May, 2015) dial-up-like speeds. This morning; however, it was off for at least 8 hours. The problem with that is that one may be able to log in, but not get internet (like at home when internet service is down but you still have access to your router and intranet connections). However, the account is still charged for those minutes. Logging off sometimes doesn't happen even though the screen message says log off occurred. I buy the unlimited plan because of issues like this.

I don't recall embarkation specials. If one is latitude silver or above (first time so you aren't) , you do get some free time (data on breakaway I think) with a package purchase. You choose 125 or 250 minutes, iirc. Otherwise, $.95/minute. You just have to be careful.

You may want to consider contact at ports. Your phone company may off a reasonable plan. Also, the Norwegian iConcierge app does let you call home (voip so not the perfect situation) for a low per minute charge. It used to be $.79/minute. The full app usage fee is about $10. now. Unfortunately, calls TO the app are really the same as others calls to ships which incur the fee of $5. or more, possibly, per minute.