Emergency drill/Access?

EJanss

My last biggest fear--having gotten over Nassau plans--is the first day Muster lifeboat drill:

The safety video (watched it ahead of time on YouTube) says that "trained staff" can help with wheelchair-access guests, since the elevators will be off for the emergency drills.

Has any other mobility-access passenger gotten through the drill, and what should I expect to do, esp. if solo? (I'm getting from the Deck 7 stateroom and the stations will likely be on Deck 4.)

I don't expect a real emergency, but I like knowing ahead of time that I can move efficiently.

My last biggest fear--having gotten over Nassau plans--is the first day Muster lifeboat drill:

The safety video (watched it ahead of time on YouTube) says that "trained staff" can help with wheelchair-access guests, since the elevators will be off for the emergency drills.

Has any other mobility-access passenger gotten through the drill, and what should I expect to do, esp. if solo? (I'm getting from the Deck 7 stateroom and the stations will likely be on Deck 4.)

I don't expect a real emergency, but I like knowing ahead of time that I can move efficiently.

For the Guest drill they allocate an elevator to those with mobility challenges. In the case of a real emergency, crew will assist those in need of assistance to use the staircases. (they have sled like chairs to bring people up and down the staircases)

ex techie

THe elevators are available for wheelchair use. There are CMs at the elevators, and they will allow a guest using mobility assist devices and one person with them onto the elevator. I strongly suggest that you go to the station a few minutes early to avoid the crowds (like 10 minutes early). The CMs at the muster station will show you where to sit in the chair, family will be seated with you. You will be dismissed a few minutes before the "general population" and able to be back on the elevator before the rest of the guests are dismissed from the drill.

At least this is how it has always happened for us...YMMV.

Yes, they have special devices and trained CMs for a real emergency (in which case no one will use an elevator due to the risk of them going out of order). I've never seen them

On my first cruise with a wheelchair using friend, we were told that she was exempt from the drill (this from GS when I called and asked what was expected of her). Then, at the time of the drill they called the cabin and asked if she would need assistance--like get your act together, DCL.

Bottom line--the drill is totally easy and the staff is ready for you. It makes your life easier to go early.

Edited by moki'smommy

Thanks--Being a total landlubber chicken, I was worried about the REAL emergencies, but I don't mind drills if they're "to comply with International Maritime Law".

And just so long as they're not in the middle of the night, like always happened at the college dorms. :mad:

Edited by EJanss

Drill is normally at 4pm on embarkation day. I've only seen it vary once and that was when boarding was delayed by many hours.

NOTE--I am not saying that only one drill was ever delayed. I'm saying that I only saw one delayed. It occurred about 9am the following morning.

I am only aware of one instance where guests were aroused from sleep and sent to their muster stations. There was a serious issue on the ship and the captain decided to be sure that everyone was accounted for and ready to evacuate should it become necessary. Fortunately the "thermal anomaly" was brought under control and guests were able to return to their beds. DCL will not admit that there was a fire on board, preferring the term "Thermal anomaly." Most people who have seen the photos would use a more common term.

Thanks--Being a total landlubber chicken, I was worried about the REAL emergencies, but I don't mind drills if they're "to comply with International Maritime Law".

And just so long as they're not in the middle of the night, like always happened at the college dorms. :mad:

The only drill you will be required to participate in is the emergency drill on embark day at 4pm.

There is a chance you may be aboard when the crew are required to drill, but clear announcements will be made that they are for crew only. During that time services will be suspended. They may also run the emergency generator at some point on a port day (used to be CC day and shut off the elevators for around 20-30 minutes while this takes place)

At any other time during the cruise, if a situation occurs that requires the attention of crew members, they will make an announcement that is broadcast shipwide everywhere including Staterooms over the PA system.

FYI:

Bright Star - is a medical emergency call for the ships medical team, stretcher teams and security.

Red Party's - is a call for firefighters

Blue Party's - is a call for other emergencies such as a broken water pipe etc.

Mr MOB - is code for Man Over Board.

Bright Star calls are the most commonly heard, and from my experience usually later in the day and at night.

None of the above require you to take action or do anything. They are for crew only.

In your emergency drill they will instruct you as to what to do.

Seven short blasts, followed by one long blast is the signal to drop everything and go to your muster station immediately.

However it is unlikely that you would be required to ever do that.

In most emergencies the Captain/other Officer's would make a calm announcement telling Guests where to go and what to do, and possibly why.

Most likely to return to your Stateroom or stay where you are.

They would get the necessary crew in place to direct Guests to where they need to go to and where not to go.

HTH's!

ex techie

Edited by Ex techie

The only time (in a REAL) emergency that you can't use the elevators would be a fire, or if the electric stopped working. They would have someone (hopefully) carry you to a lifeboat....at least, that's how it's supposed to work. "Drills" aren't real emergencies and they try to make it painless.