Stuck in LAX for 5 hours

lizf

Sorry if this has been covered before. I tried to do a search and couldn't find anything. You all seem so thorough in your ideas on similar subjects and I would really appreciate it if you could help me.

We will be arriving at LAX at 7:30AM and our flight out won't be until 2:30PM. I figure we would have to be there just two hours early for an international flight, so that leaves 5 dead hours. This sounds like a horrible way to spend a day. Does anyone have any ideas or please tell me what you did at LAX (Los Angeles Airport) under similar circumstances. Thanks.

Liz, check in your baggage and take the airport shuttle to the GREEN LINE (subway) to ROSA PARK stop get off and take the BLUE LINE to the end of the line Metro/7th get off and take the RED LINE to Union Station get off and go out front right across the street is Olvera Street, the oldest street in Los Angeles, they have booths it is kinda fun and they have some good food. You can also take the B Dash to China Town which can be fun. Check on line things to do in LA you will find lots of things and at least you won't have to sit around the airport. Good Luck and have fun.

Kathy

Arggh! That is just plain ugly, LizF.

The truth is, there is not a whole lot to do in the 5 hour time period. There are plenty of places to eat and shop at the terminals but that's about it. Venturing outside LAX will only get you to cheaper places to eat and shop. This will require a taxi. If you're in on a Monday through Friday, morning traffic around the airport will not be pleasant. Sorry, better to grit your teeth and stay in the airport.

We will be arriving at LAX at 7:30AM and our flight out won't be until 2:30PM. I figure we would have to be there just two hours early for an international flight, so that leaves 5 dead hours. >>>>>>>>

This probably will not be as bad as you anticipate. The 7:30 a.m. is most likely the time the ship is scheduled to dock. It doesn't mean that is the time you will disembark!

You will be provided a form to fill out prior to disembarkation upon which you indicate your flight schedule and time. Ask for a late disembarkation number. Then enjoy a leisurely breakfast on the ship - miss some of the early crowd of people - and make your way to the airport.

Be sure to check how much time to allow for transportation to the port - especially for traffic. My guess is by the time you arrive at the airport - and check in - and go thru security - which can take quite awhile -- you will have time for a snack and board your plane.

We will be arriving at LAX at 7:30AM and our flight out won't be until 2:30PM. I figure we would have to be there just two hours early for an international flight, so that leaves 5 dead hours. >>>>>>>>

This probably will not be as bad as you anticipate. The 7:30 a.m. is most likely the time the ship is scheduled to dock. It doesn't mean that is the time you will disembark!

You will be provided a form to fill out prior to disembarkation upon which you indicate your flight schedule and time. Ask for a late disembarkation number. Then enjoy a leisurely breakfast on the ship - miss some of the early crowd of people - and make your way to the airport.

Be sure to check how much time to allow for transportation to the port - especially for traffic. My guess is by the time you arrive at the airport - and check in - and go thru security - which can take quite awhile -- you will have time for a snack and board your plane.

I agree........you are going to need all that time, the lines suggest no earlier then 1p. Believe me ....been there, done that.....2:30 is perfect:D

Take the last possible time slot for disembaring the ship. After that it's about 40 min. ride to LAX. While you will still have to wait around it may not be as bad as you think. We've sat in airports too - you shop a little, you read the newspaper/book, you eat, you talk to fellow travelers .. time moves along :-)

You might check your luggage in if the airline allows early checkin and then take a hotel shuttle bus - for instance to the LAX Hilton or Marriott, Sheraton, Radisson, etc. and have lunch. No matter where you eat it will probably be better then the food in the terminals.

I would not venture too far from the airport, LA traffic can be horrendous and if you do not know your way around the city you may get stuck someplace and miss your flight. You really probably won't have 5 hrs to kill anyway.

It sounds to me like the 7:30 arrival time in LA is pre cruise since the "International" flight requires a 2 hour pre departure check in. Is this the case Lizf?? Do you like crossword puzzles?? This is how I spend my wait time since I find it difficult to concentrate on reading with all the surrounding hubbub. Bon Voyage!

Thanks you all. This time is intransit just before a 10 hour flight, so the "War and Peace" was to be for the flight.:) But thanks.

Mrskmirolla, thank you for taking the trouble and time to write such detailed instructions, but it scares me to think of trying to return for our flight. I was hoping for a kinda- stand here and a bus comes by and will return you to that spot- :D

DonLou- You say there are shops and restaurants in the airport? I guess we've never been in that part of it. We get to LAX on a small plane from Utah and then go to our big plane flight and never get to the main part of the terminal. We've actually been stuck much longer than 5 hours there, and the thought of another 5 hours doesn't sound fun. It wouldn't be so bad but it will be followed by another 10 hours of nothing to do but crossword puzzles and reading on the flight, Ich! Just have to grin and bear it I guess. But anyway, thank you all for taking the time. I knew you would. You folks are just always so helpful to people asking.

Hi Lizf,

Sorry that you are going to have such a long wait between flights (just another reason I loathe flying nowadays) but I have to agree with the majority opinion - I wouldn't venture too far from the airport. The traffic in L.A. is unbelievable and you wouldn't want to miss your flight because of traffic delays, which are an every day occurence in L.A.

It's too bad that you can't take Kathy's (mrskmirolla) advice because Olvera Street really is a fun place to visit and they have really good food there, but I just wouldn't chance it.

Just keep reminding yourself that there is a great cruise ahead of you. Have fun - once you get to you destination that is!

Valerie:D

We have even a longer wait! We are arriving into L.A. from Hong Kong at 1pm and not leaving L.A. until 9.20pm for Miami.

Should we just sit in the lounge and wait it out or do you think we can venture out. This will be our first trip to L.A. and we will be returning for a weekend at the end of our adventure of six weeks in South America.

Jennie

We have even a longer wait! We are arriving into L.A. from Hong Kong at 1pm and not leaving L.A. until 9.20pm for Miami.

Jennie

Jennie, this is not a solution but another question. Why such a long wait? LAX and MIA are not exactly backwater destinations. LAX to MIA should have plenty of flights. Just wondering.

Jennie, this is not a solution but another question. Why such a long wait? LAX and MIA are not exactly backwater destinations. LAX to MIA should have plenty of flights. Just wondering.

Don,

We are using F.F. points so we had no choice and it is also over New Year. We won't be without a bit of luxury as we are flying First class all the way, so we will be able to use the lounge at L.A. We then have an 11 hour wait at Miami. I have booked a hotel room for the day there so we will have a good sleep and rest before our flight to Rio.

Our flights back home at the end are a lot easier.

Jennie

Don, Our flights back home at the end are a lot easier. Jennie

Thanks for the explanation, Jennie. If I understood you correctly, it sounds like you will have two New Year days next year. Sorry about your connections but have a great trip. And Happy New Year! Twice!

Suggest you hire a car and driver...you could see a lot...Venice Beach and Santa Monica..Beverly Hills is 45 minutes...

Do be careful with the traffic.

For eating try the Daily grill in the international terminal..Good food. Some Duty free shops..too.

Thanks Don for your good wishes. Yes I have just realized we will have two January 1sts. You also have a good one.

harrodsfan,

We will look into the Daily Grill. I am not sure about risking going out into the traffic in L.A. I would hate to miss the flight and we will be staying at Santa Monica for a weekend on our return from South America which will be in the middle of Feb.

Jennie.

Take a taxi ride down to Redondo Beach Pier (about a 25 min. drive south of LAX) and spend about 2-2 1/2 hours at King Harbor Marina (the Pier, Boardwalk and Harbor Drive). There are several restaurants on the Pier itself (above the water with a nice view) and off Harbor Drive open for lunch. There are souvenier shops in the same area. Not sure what time of the year you're going but the area is nice for walking also (or they rent bikes). Another alternative is to take a cab to the Port of Long Beach (35 min drive) and see the Queen Mary. Somebody already mentioned Venice and Santa Monica. All these areas are safe (part of Venice is claimed by a street gang however you won't have any trouble in the day-time touristry part). I personally would not risk going to Downtown in the time you have available. Olivera Street/Union Station are both very nice but the 405/101/10 and 405 freeways are unpredictable and no day at the beach when you get caught in a jam! Have a good time!

Archived