Gluten free dining

cat2000

We'll be on the Harmony in a few weeks. Anyone have experience with gluten free dining? Are menus labeled? I have contacted Royal Caribbean directly already.

Is it easier to eat in specialty restaurants?

This is still very new for me

We'll be on the Harmony in a few weeks. Anyone have experience with gluten free dining? Are menus labeled? I have contacted Royal Caribbean directly already.

Is it easier to eat in specialty restaurants?

This is still very new for me

They don't have special menus for GF, they modify selections for you. They would give my MiL the menu for the next night at the end of every meal. She then could pick out her dinner(s) for the following night and the chef would have it ready for her.

For Windjammer, she would ask the chef and he would give her a tour or tell her what was available that day...

They were very helpful in the MDR. First, all menus are labeled to tell you what comes GF naturally. Then, they bring you the next night's menu so you can pick what you want and they can ensure it's prepared with the proper precautions. They will even bring out GF rolls each night.

They are very accommodating. Just make sure you have it noted in your reservation before you sail. This way the waiter knows how to help you the first evening. Then as mentioned above, they give you the following nights menu to reorder.

My adult daughter has to eat gluten free. All of the above is true, they are very accommodating. However I would recommend going to the dining room when you first board and confirm they have you listed as gluten free. It will make the first night's dinner go smoothly.

Just to add on a question about GF dining, how does that work with My time dining? I am GF but we don't want to have to make reservations for every night , will they still bring me the menu for the next night? Sorry I am new to cruising with being GF.

My sister has to go Gluten free and Dairy free also. She has no trouble at

all with the restricted diet when we cruise. Lots of offerings available, even

at the last Chef's table we did, they were very helpful with offering a Gluten

free alternative to the regular meal.

Ship also has Gluten free breads in the WJ and the restaurants. Quite good!

Edited by island lady

Great to hear the gf breads are also dairy free - my son (17 months) is dairy, egg and wheat free due to severe allergies. This has all been recorded with the special needs dept but I am still waiting to hear back if the gf bread is also egg free. Does anyone have any experience dining with the same dietary restrictions?

Also do they offer a dairy free 'butter' alternative? And I know this post is regarding gf options but is anyone aware if soy yoghurt is available on board?

Thanks.

They were very helpful in the MDR. First, all menus are labeled to tell you what comes GF naturally. Then, they bring you the next night's menu so you can pick what you want and they can ensure it's prepared with the proper precautions. They will even bring out GF rolls each night.

This is not quite how we experienced the menu last year. The GF indications were not was is already GF but what can easily be accommodated to be GF. For example, French onion soup with the bread is GF and gross! But was still marked with the GF symbol.

We had My Time dining and still managed to order the night before. We had better service on the Freedom than the Oasis because we were seated with the same wait staff every night on the Freedom. There was a little more confusion and lost orders on the Oasis, but they still brought GF meals every night. We are going on the Oasis again next month, so we are hoping it might be a little better this time around.

The GF rolls/bread were very good.

We had no issues in the specialty restaurants.

I always ask the Windjammer and someone will help. Its especially important when there is hidden gluten, i.e some of the sausages and some of the burgers were ok, some were not.

You can get Udi's bagels, you just have to ask. You might not see them. Same with packaged snickerdoodles.