Uh-oh.....

coolestwife

I found out this week that my DSD will not have college finals until the first week of June and she can't miss school for the week we have booked.:( Our options are either spring break or early/mid June. I'm pretty sure everyone in our group will prefer the June sailing, but I'm very nervous because hurricane season starts June 1st. Someone please reassure me, because I can't wait till after hurricane season's over...that's too long!!!:eek:

(:o how embarrassingly girlie of me...yes I'm terrified of spiders too...:o )

Although hurricane season is June 1 - November 30, June is a relatively safe time to cruise. There have been Tropical Depressions/Storms in June, but no major hurricane. The worst months are August and September, when the waters are warmest.

Bad school - making your DD take finals when she could be on a cruise!:D

Hurricaine season follows a bell shape curve of distribution. Simply put, there are very few hurricanes in June and November. They occur, but more unlikely!

If you gotta go during the season, June is the better choice as the water tends to be cooler and harder for hurricanes to form.

Although the official start of hurricane season is June 1, the historical number of tropical storms in June is very, very low. I would not hesitate to book a mid-June cruise to those hurricane-prone areas (Caribbean, Mexican Riveria). Spring Break, well, that's another story for different reasons!

It's the Eastern Pacific, Coolest!

Usually July is the "worst!"

And "worst" is relative here. The ride might be a little more choppy on a couple of the days. In fact, I believe the drill is that they might reverse the order of the ports (i.e. stop at Cabo first to give Mazatlan a day to two to calm down.)

Now somebody correct me if I'm wrong (and don't flame me too badly) but the most damage done recently by an Eastern Pacific storm (or least what made the headlines) was when part of a hurricane spun-off up the Gulf of Cortez with enough strength to flood the mall at Caesar's Palace in Las Vegas.

Too bad regarding the exam, Coolest. After your post regarding the incident with Carnival Spirit I was looking forward to seeing if you were going to leave Carnival Pride in cuffs.:D

see...I already feel better...Thank you!!!

(now can someone help me with this pesky arachnophobia?):eek:

Funny you should mention that. When I was mowing this afternoon, I found a gigantic (is there any other kind) garden spider crawling on my shoulder.

:eek: :eek:

As you can see from my signature, my family traditionally cruises in June, the weekend following the last day of school for my kids. There hasn't been a hurricane yet, but even if there were to be, I've heard that the ships are very good at avoiding them ;)

You should be fine!

Good luck!

A~:)

I read somewhere that no matter where you go (maybe not the Arctics) you are never more than 5 ft. from a spider. With that said, if you've never been bitten, what are the odds?

Odds depend on where you live, I've been bitten twice. I was bitten on the knee by a Black Widow in the locker room when I was in high school and on the wrist by a Brown Recluse waiting tables on a terrace (early 20's). The big spiders (at least here in NC) eat bugs not people. I like big spiders 'cause I SEE them.

Archived