Electric Kettle?

lorimay

Kevin, yes we have vivid memories of the compensations offered: there were two offers.

1st offer: complete refund of cruise fare and 25% of that fare as a credit for future HAL cruise.

2nd offer: completed refund of cruise fare, but if you let HAL keep it, they would increase the future cruise credit to 50% of your cruise fare.

Because we had a Neptune Suite our credit was "sweet", and because we knew we would be cruising on HAL again, we took option #2. Our next cruise was to South America and Antarctica, and even booking a Neptune suite again, it only cost us only an additional fraction of the new cruise fare.

Additionally, for those who had used HAL-arranged air travel, they booked air travel back to the airport of origin and refunded the air fare. Luckily, we were in that group.

I do not recall if guests who had booked air travel on their own got a refund or not, but I do know that they had to rebook the flights home on their own. Also those who had used their airline travel points not only did the not get a refund, but the had to rebook on their own as well.

The experience was a bit tense (it was at night) with fire fighting teams pulling fire extinguishers out of the passageway cabinets and smoke in the passageways; at most, it makes for a great story. ;) The best news is that no one was injured.

Thank you. Glad it all worked out in the end. :)

Just as an FYI, when we were on the Westerdam to Hawaii and back last month, the 'info blurb' playing on the TV in the cabin as we embarked said curling irons were not allowed aboard either.

I don't use one, but I was surprised by this.

Edited by Lynda S

• 2 weeks later...
Just as an FYI, when we were on the Westerdam to Hawaii and back last month, the 'info blurb' playing on the TV in the cabin as we embarked said curling irons were not allowed aboard either.

I don't use one, but I was surprised by this.

I would be astonished if they were confiscating those. I use one that I can do without, but there are a lot of women out there who wouldn't go on the cruise if they couldn't bring their hairstyling tools.