Electric Kettle?

lorimay

I will be on the Koningsdam in December and was wondering if I will be allowed to bring an electric hot water kettle for my stateroom. I drink a lot of iced tea and absolutely hate the kind that comes out of the fountain. I would like to be able to make my own. Since there's no open element I would think it would be allowed. Anyone know? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I will be on the Koningsdam in December and was wondering if I will be allowed to bring an electric hot water kettle for my stateroom. I drink a lot of iced tea and absolutely hate the kind that comes out of the fountain. I would like to be able to make my own. Since there's no open element I would think it would be allowed. Anyone know? Thanks!

No.

Many bring their own tea bags and get hot water at the Lido. Maybe bring a thermos jug instead, and brew your own. Then get some ice delivered to your cabin and voilà, you have your own brand of your favorite ice tea.

I took a kettle on the Zuiderdam last year. I didn't try to hide it. I didn't know they were not allowed. I presume the cabin crew saw it as the next day I received a call from guest relations saying it was disallowed and the cabin crew should collect it and I would get it returned on the last day of my cruise. I stowed it away in my luggage under the bed. I received another call the next day saying they would collect it and when I told them I had packed it away I didn't hear any more. Suffice to say, I bet the cabin crew kept checking to see if I was using it. I ended up going to the lido every morning for hot water for our morning cuppa. Hope this long winded answer helps. In short - the answer is no!

Have you tried Twinings Cold Brew Tea bags? I really like the green tea with mint. There are five different varieties.

Here's a link so you can check it out-

https://www.twiningsusa.com/templates/group_ProductGroup.aspx?GroupGuid=79

This sounds like a great solution. I will definitely try them out before we go. I usually like to make tea in bulk and put it in the refrigerator, but it's so hard to do on a cruise ship. I know it sounds silly, but some people are very particular about wine or liquor and I am just very particular about my tea.

What's interesting about not being able to bring about an electric kettle is that one cruise we were on a few years ago (it may have been on the Oosterdam to Mexico) actually had an electric kettle in every room. The ship had been on a European itinerary with a lot of British passengers.

Thanks everyone for the information.

I took a 42 oz plastic bottle, made my Crystal Light and kept it in the mini-fridge. Worked great. It fit without removing anything from the mini, but the steward offered to clear some space. By the way.brought it in my checked luggage stuffed with socks to save room.

This sounds like a great solution. I will definitely try them out before we go. I usually like to make tea in bulk and put it in the refrigerator, but it's so hard to do on a cruise ship. I know it sounds silly, but some people are very particular about wine or liquor and I am just very particular about my tea.

What's interesting about not being able to bring about an electric kettle is that one cruise we were on a few years ago (it may have been on the Oosterdam to Mexico) actually had an electric kettle in every room. The ship had been on a European itinerary with a lot of British passengers.

The difference is that the kettles provided by the ship are routinely inspected and tested onboard, while the ones brought by passengers are not.

Holland America have good reasons for banning certain electrical equipment being brought onboard.

May 23rd 2000 - Nieuw Amsterdam was in Glacier Bay when a cabin fire broke out - in a crew cabin. NTSB report highlights the cause as an unattended appliance left on.

So all passengers should follow the rules so as not to endanger the ship.

See plenty of info on the web - Prinsendam fire 1980, Statendam fire 2002, Star Princess fire 2006.

but those British passengers for sure didn't drink iced tea! Anyway, have a great cruise enjoy your iced tea!

I've always brought a small coffee maker. plastic bags to put the used filters in before throwing away and unplugged and put the coffee maker away after using. (guess I'll get flamed now) On our last cruise on the Oosterdam I was sure glad I did. I had the worst steward I've ever had and I had to get my own ice or call and ask for it everyday.

I've always brought a small coffee maker. plastic bags to put the used filters in before throwing away and unplugged and put the coffee maker away after using. (guess I'll get flamed now) On our last cruise on the Oosterdam I was sure glad I did. I had the worst steward I've ever had and I had to get my own ice or call and ask for it everyday.

Yes,you will get flamed. You put others at risk by using an appliance that the cruise line has asked you not to do.

If you weren't happy with your steward,then you should have addressed your concerns with the ship's senior staff. I'm sure they would have listened to you.

If you obtained permission to use this device, you will not get flamed.

The concern is your misuse while "flame" others. Please appreciate how awful fire can be on cruise ships with all their interconnecting ventilation systems. It really is not worth risking other passengers safety for your comfort.

I had this happen once too, using a portable iron. So you are not alone but I got sobered up fast about how reckless my own choice was in this particularly closed system setting.

"Flamed" is not a word I would use when talking about doing things that could cause real flames. SMH

Holland America have good reasons for banning certain electrical equipment being brought onboard.

May 23rd 2000 - Nieuw Amsterdam was in Glacier Bay when a cabin fire broke out - in a crew cabin. NTSB report highlights the cause as an unattended appliance left on.

So all passengers should follow the rules so as not to endanger the ship.

See plenty of info on the web - Prinsendam fire 1980, Statendam fire 2002, Star Princess fire 2006.

While I am in total agreement that bringing high wattage/amperage items onboard is potentially dangerous, I thought that details about the Statendam fire should be explained.

We were on the Statendam when it had the fire in 2002, but it had nothing to do with anything that a passenger brought on board.

A main circuit beaker for a diesel generator suffered a catastrophic failure. It set off a fire in the electrical switchboard below decks. The ship lost all propulsion and most electrical power. Smoke permeated the ship for a while. We had to be towed back to Vancouver by 3 tugs & the next day, the cruise was cancelled.

Here is a link to the Canadian Transportation Safety Board report: http://www.tsb.gc.ca/eng/rapports-reports/marine/2002/m02w0135/m02w0135.pdf.

With all respect ( ?) it is better you are flamed than the ship has flames. You endanger mANY lives when you ignore safety rules such as this. Your tea is not more im iporant than the safety of the ship and those in her.,,,, something to think about. Please leave your coffeee maker home next time. The rules apply to all of us .

Edited by sail7seas

While I am in total agreement that bringing high wattage/amperage items onboard is potentially dangerous, I thought that details about the Statendam fire should be explained.

We were on the Statendam when it had the fire in 2002, but it had nothing to do with anything that a passenger brought on board.

A main circuit beaker for a diesel generator suffered a catastrophic failure. It set off a fire in the electrical switchboard below decks. The ship lost all propulsion and most electrical power. Smoke permeated the ship for a while. We had to be towed back to Vancouver by 3 tugs & the next day, the cruise was cancelled.

Here is a link to the Canadian Transportation Safety Board report: http://www.tsb.gc.ca/eng/rapports-reports/marine/2002/m02w0135/m02w0135.pdf.

Tough way to end a cruise. JC, what, if any, was the HAL compensation if you remember please. Thanks.

For this, you risked everyone else's lives? (Oy) I was hoping at least you wanted to sterilize your contact lenses. :cool:

Uh, SKI WW DID say "if it was allowed". That presumes that the kettle would meet the same safety standards as those kettles provided by HAL on many cruises, or else it wouldn't be allowed.

Edited by Fouremco

Tough way to end a cruise. JC, what, if any, was the HAL compensation if you remember please. Thanks.

Kevin, yes we have vivid memories of the compensations offered: there were two offers.

1st offer: complete refund of cruise fare and 25% of that fare as a credit for future HAL cruise.

2nd offer: completed refund of cruise fare, but if you let HAL keep it, they would increase the future cruise credit to 50% of your cruise fare.

Because we had a Neptune Suite our credit was "sweet", and because we knew we would be cruising on HAL again, we took option #2. Our next cruise was to South America and Antarctica, and even booking a Neptune suite again, it only cost us only an additional fraction of the new cruise fare.

Additionally, for those who had used HAL-arranged air travel, they booked air travel back to the airport of origin and refunded the air fare. Luckily, we were in that group.

I do not recall if guests who had booked air travel on their own got a refund or not, but I do know that they had to rebook the flights home on their own. Also those who had used their airline travel points not only did the not get a refund, but the had to rebook on their own as well.

The experience was a bit tense (it was at night) with fire fighting teams pulling fire extinguishers out of the passageway cabinets and smoke in the passageways; at most, it makes for a great story. ;) The best news is that no one was injured.