Triumph Wind Question

redwave

How many knots does wind need to be to create movement/rocking on a ship the size/age of the Carnival Triumph sailing at average cruising speed?

I understand there might be a difference if its a cross wind tail or head wind, please include those variables if they are a factor.

Thank you.

Age and size has little to do with it. In fact, larger ships can be affected more than smaller ones due to the massive amount of the ship's superstructure that sticks out of the water, and the relatively shallow draft of the ship in the water.

What you need to learn about is the Beaufort scale of wind / sea conditions, it goes from 0 to 12. With 0 being "dead calm", to 12 being around 74 mph, or the start of hurricane wind speeds.

Learn about it here.

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/faq/tornado/beaufort.html

Otherwise considering that Triumph is not an ocean liner, and top heavy I would expect that any thing over a 4-5 is going to affect the ship.

Thank you. Based on responses, swells caused by a sustained gentle breeze (7-10 kn) on the beam will cause movement. Is there a way to describe or calculate the extent of the sway/roll caused by the swell/wind conditions above?

Thank you.

What is your reason or concern for asking this?

Swells aside, I can assure you that more than swells can rock 'n roll a ship.

Having sailed in "12" conditions more than once I have a bit of experience with this. :cool:

it's the swells not the wind that rocks a boat. When the seas are on the beam it makes for a less than comfortable ride. You get more of a roll as opposed to a pitch.

That's true and if you look at the link Lou provided you'll see that at a Beaufort Scale of 5 winds will be between 17 and 21 knots and swells will be between 4-8 feet. Toward the latter end will certainly create movement for a ship standing still and if swells are a beam and the ship is moving at 15020 knots, there'll be movement too. Less so heading directly into the swells but standing on deck the wind will feel like it's blowing 40 miles an hour or so.

I'd hazard to guess that the 2002 picture shown was during near gale or gale force winds.

I am a Captain and a sailor and can assure you, you can have large swells without wind. Wind exacerbates the swells causing a chop. I have been in anchorages that are untenable without much wind at all. I don't what someone thinks shallow draft is, but these ships draw 25-30 of water. I don't know the exact ballast/displacement ratio, but these ships are very stable. It takes a good 10' seas to make the ride somewhat uncomfortable.

I'm not sure why you are asking specifically about Triumph but on our Halloween cruise we had some pretty rough seas and I still have my fair share of bruises from bumping into things to remind me of it lol I have some photos of the pool with impressive waves where it was pulling most of the water from one side and pushing it to the other side into a huge wave. Kids had a blast using it as a wave pool until it got too bad and they had to shut it down.

It was very windy out on deck and cloudy and drizzly but that's what you get with Oct cruising. I doubt if sailing would have been any smoother on another ship. It still wasn't crazy bad, I've been on much worse than that. A few times it got rough enough to slam drawers in my vanity open and closed at night and I had to take the glasses off the counter because they kept sliding and I was afraid they would break but I was as far forward on Lido as you go so that's to be expected in that position on the ship.

Dh and I sailed the Holiday through a fairly major storm and that was a pretty crazy ride, this was no biggie. We did take Bonine every day though and one day I did have to take it morning and night because it was a bit too much motion for me but not enough to stop me from enjoying the food :p