Pride of America: do we sail past Kilauea?

jayfurr

My wife and I are registered for the PoA cruise the second week of February 2017. Does anyone know if the ship will go around the south side of the Big Island, or the north, as it travels between Kona and Hilo? Obviously, we'd like to see Kilauea at night, but we're having a hard time finding out if that's the current itinerary or not.

We just came off POA last week. Yes, POA sails around the south end from Hilo on the way to Kauai. They specifically scheduled 9:45pm for the prime time to view the lava flowing into the ocean. The ship slowed down to give ample viewing time. They even cut the lights for a few minutes to get the best effect. It was quite dramatic.

my understanding is that they decide that based on the current situation of the lava flow.

when i did the PoA last year, we didn't go south because the lava wasn't flowing, but we didn't know for sure if it was happening or not until very close to that day.

Kilauea has been erupting continuously since 1983 with lava flowing miles from the 4000 ft summit to the sea. There are times when there are spectacular flowing lava dropping into the sea. Sometimes it is underwater flows. If there is something to see, even the glow of hot lava, the ship will make a pass.

We were just on the ship last week :) Starboard/Right for viewing lava flow, Port/left for viewing Na Pali Coast

Enjoy!

Thank you. This may seem like a dumb question, but we are booked for March 2018, so we are still in the early stages of planning and research. But what is there to see of Na Pali Coast? I've heard mention of it, but what is it? Why would it be good to be Port side to see it?

TIA

Thank you. This may seem like a dumb question, but we are booked for March 2018, so we are still in the early stages of planning and research. But what is there to see of Na Pali Coast? I've heard mention of it, but what is it? Why would it be good to be Port side to see it?

TIA

The Na Pali coast is on the northern side of Kauai. The ship does a sail by on the way out of Kauai and the scenery is absolutely beautiful :)

TIA

Do a search for reviews with pictures. the Na Pali coast is just beautiful. The upper decks are crowded. It is nice to head back to your balcony with a drink in hand to view the sail by.