Carnival Pride and Peanut allergy

ButterflyGirly

I will be on the Pride in March with my 22 year old DD who has a peanut allergy. We cruised last March on the Victory and I wasn't very impressed with the knowledge of some of the crew about safe food choices. She managed ok but I would feel better with more knowledgeable crew. We are looking forward to our cruise and wanted to know if anyone with a peanut allergy has been on the Pride and and can share their experience.

I will be on the Pride in March with my 22 year old DD who has a peanut allergy. We cruised last March on the Victory and I wasn't very impressed with the knowledge of some of the crew about safe food choices. She managed ok but I would feel better with more knowledgeable crew. We are looking forward to our cruise and wanted to know if anyone with a peanut allergy has been on the Pride and and can share their experience.

You need to talk to someone in charge, not just any crew member. My husband has a food allergy and it was handled very well. Every night at dinner he was presented with the next day's menu and could find what he needed to eat.

If the crew doesn't know the answer at the buffet, you need to ask for a supervisor that will know.

The Pride is a great ship with a wonderful crew. If you can get CoCo for a waitress. She will take great care of you. Just remember to tip her well for going the extra mile for you. Tell her Sue & Dave say hello!

I also have a life threatening peanut allergy. I was on the Carnival Pride and the chef had the waiter give me the menu for the following night. Chef wouldn't even allow me to request something with tree nuts, even though my allergy is legumes/peanuts only. They are amazing, BUT you must tell Carnival AND the Maitre'd upon arrival.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

This is my standard info for dietary allergic threads. It's easier to paste the whole thing rather than cut out what's not pertinent to the OP.

DD is allergic to peanuts and tree nuts.

We've never any issue on Carnival. We sail Carnival several times a year.

We travel with a group that combined has allergies to nuts, treenuts, shellfish, egg whites, chocolate, MSG and liquid dairy. Only had issues with 'user' error, no issues with Carnival. If you have a nut allergy, know that Carnival classifies seeds as nuts.

If you have an odd allergy contact Special Needs before your cruise. If you have a 'normal' allergy no need to do so.

https://www.carnival.com/about-carnival/special-needs/dietary-needs.aspx

See the Hostess at embarkation when the Maitre 'd has hours. Hours will be in the FunTmes, usually starting around 1pm. The hostess will take that night's order. Each night the hostess or your waiter will bring you the next day's MDR menu-breakfast, brunch/lunch and dinner. If deciding between two entrees, order both. For brunch don't hesitate to order a breakfast and lunch if you want to eat both meals in the MDR.

For room service, they cannot make special for you but they can tell you the ingredients. No special area so there is always the possibility of contamination

Buffet is a minefield. Ask the Hostess or the Head Lido Chef or the Food and Beverage managers in the officer whites. DO NOT ask the line cooks or servers. They mean well but do not know the full recipes. Cross contamination is always a possibility.

Onshore--- we bring allergy cards. I made our own but you can buy some at selectwisely.com.

You can only bring off commercially prepared food. We bring cereal bars, boxes of cereal, bottled water, hard candy etc.

Many ports will check. Some will do a physical search, others use dogs. You do not want the cute Labrador to sit next to you. I've had them alert on my Lemonheads.

Kids clubs have a form to fill out. There are some snacks served at times. The younger kids meet up at the dinner buffet certain nights. Ask the counselors what's on the menu.

At dinner your waiter will have your order and confirm it with you. The only issue we've ever had was DD food came out quicker than mine did.

If you have ATD, an order slip will be generated and given to your waiter as you are seated. For breakfast/lunch/brunch you'll have to remind the hostess staff that you have a special order until they recognize you.

Edited by SadieN

See the Hostess at embarkation when the Maitre 'd has hours. Hours will be in the FunTmes, usually starting around 1pm. The hostess will take that night's order. Each night the hostess or your waiter will bring you the next day's MDR menu-breakfast, brunch/lunch and dinner. If deciding between two entrees, order both. For brunch don't hesitate to order a breakfast and lunch if you want to eat both meals in the MDR.

Buffet is a minefield. Ask the Hostess or the Head Lido Chef or the Food and Beverage managers in the officer whites. DO NOT ask the line cooks or servers. They mean well but do not know the full recipes. Cross contamination is always a possibility.

Kids clubs have a form to fill out. There are some snacks served at times. The younger kids meet up at the dinner buffet certain nights. Ask the counselors what's on the menu.

Our grandson also has peanut allergy. Except for room service that they don't use, my DD also does the above for her son. She also leaves at the kids club a kit with EpiPen in it.

Thank you for the replies.

Before our Victory cruise I did notify Carnival Special Needs department and was told about DD getting the next night's menu and being able to select her meal. I did go to the MDR on the first day to make sure they were aware of her allergy. She was never asked to select her meal ahead of time so I asked our waiter. The waiter said there were not any items on the menu with peanuts so she didn't need to.

We always had breakfast and dinner in the MDR but lunch is the tricky meal. We did talk to the Lido head chef each time and he would walk us around and tell us what she should not eat.

She does carries her Epi-Pen and will have it on the Pride.

I just wanted to hear any insight from anyone who has had experience with this on the Pride.

You need to talk to someone in charge, not just any crew member. My husband has a food allergy and it was handled very well. Every night at dinner he was presented with the next day's menu and could find what he needed to eat.

If the crew doesn't know the answer at the buffet, you need to ask for a supervisor that will know.

The Pride is a great ship with a wonderful crew. If you can get CoCo for a waitress. She will take great care of you. Just remember to tip her well for going the extra mile for you. Tell her Sue & Dave say hello!

In addition the excellent advice provided for dealing with food allergies (Special Needs, Maitre D, kitchen supervisor, etc) who will handle your situation with the utmost care and concern, we also highly recommend requesting Miss Coko. She was in the MTD room when we were on the Pride in September. Tell her Kevin and Barry said hello!