Complete loss on what to do in Puerto Rico!!! HELP!!!

bahama_mama2015

Stopping in SAN Juan from 7:30-4:00.

Other stops on the cruise are Grand Turk, St. Thomas, and Amber Cove.

We are a couple in our 30's no kids with us and then is our second cruise.

For some reason I know what I want to do in every port except SAN Juan.

Are there places within walking distance from the port? What are the must sees?

We are up for pretty much anything. Enjoy drinking and trying local cuisine.

Can you rent golf carts and explore the island on your own???

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Can you rent golf carts and explore the island on your own???

Puerto Rico is a pretty big island. 3.5 million people, and 1 million of them live in San Juan. It's a mini-Miami with busy expressways. There's no "renting a golf cart and exploring the island".

With that said, there are PLENTY of things to do in the Old San Juan area where the ship docks and convenient for such a short stop. Just walking around the old city and exploring the historical buildings, museums, forts, and parks will keep you busy for hours. Beautiful and unique. There are also many local restaurants and bars tucked all over the city. Of course, you can always play "dumb tourist" and head straight for Señor Frogs across the street from the pier. [emoji57]

Puerto Rico is a pretty big island. 3.5 million people, and 1 million of them live in San Juan. It's a mini-Miami with busy expressways. There's no "renting a golf cart and exploring the island".

With that said, there are PLENTY of things to do in the Old San Juan area where the ship docks and convenient for such a short stop. Just walking around the old city and exploring the historical buildings, museums, forts, and parks will keep you busy for hours. Beautiful and unique. There are also many local restaurants and bars tucked all over the city. Of course, you can always play "dumb tourist" and head straight for Señor Frogs across the street from the pier. [emoji57]

So I could just walk to the forts, spend some time there and then walk to old SAN Juan and bar hop and have some local cuisine?

Everything is within walking distance?

So I could just walk to the forts, spend some time there and then walk to old SAN Juan and bar hop and have some local cuisine?

Everything is within walking distance?

Yes- the Fort walls extend around the old city on the west and north, and the cruise pier is on the south of the old city - which probably runs 1/2 mile north-south and 2 miles east-west; all pretty walkable .

Yes- the Fort walls extend around the old city on the west and north, and the cruise pier is on the south of the old city - which probably runs 1/2 mile north-south and 2 miles east-west; all pretty walkable .

If I'm looking at this right, it's about 1.25 miles to San Filipe del Morro:

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Muelle+4/501+Calle+Norzagaray,+San+Juan,+00901,+Puerto+Rico/@18.4645887,-66.1237042,16z/data=!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x0:0xc80d2243942499a7!2m2!1d-66.1100168!2d18.4626591!1m5!1m1!1s0x8c036ebdd9c262b9:0x6a00424a75265f23!2m2!1d-66.1235063!2d18.4709349!3e2

Getting off the ship, etc,. probably 1.5 in reality. San Cristobal is closer, but would probably make it closer to 2 miles to detour and walk to both. Perhaps 3.5 miles to make it a loop. Is that about right?

Thanks!

If I'm looking at this right, it's about 1.25 miles to San Filipe del Morro:

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Muelle+4/501+Calle+Norzagaray,+San+Juan,+00901,+Puerto+Rico/@18.4645887,-66.1237042,16z/data=!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x0:0xc80d2243942499a7!2m2!1d-66.1100168!2d18.4626591!1m5!1m1!1s0x8c036ebdd9c262b9:0x6a00424a75265f23!2m2!1d-66.1235063!2d18.4709349!3e2

Getting off the ship, etc,. probably 1.5 in reality. San Cristobal is closer, but would probably make it closer to 2 miles to detour and walk to both. Perhaps 3.5 miles to make it a loop. Is that about right?

Thanks!

Sound just about right on the money. But really, forget the distance and enjoy the city. I'd suggest you walk to San Cristobal first, cross over to El Morro and walk back to the ship across the city. You will find bars, places to eat and interesting stuff to experience along the way.

Sound just about right on the money. But really, forget the distance and enjoy the city. I'd suggest you walk to San Cristobal first, cross over to El Morro and walk back to the ship across the city. You will find bars, places to eat and interesting stuff to experience along the way.

Unfortunately, my kids will most likely wear themselves out at the forts and my wife probably can't handle the distance without having issues the next day. I will to go with your suggestion, but try to leverage the trolley a couple times through the day. Thank you!

Edited by mikesteg