Smartphone shore excursions

waterlegs

Hi. Has anyone booked a smartphone shore excursion with RCI? I have been looking at private tours but they only work out cheaper with a group of at least six people. I like my independence when visiting a place but value the transport getting there and back so this option seems like a winner all round...financially and personally. Just would appreciate feedback on it for any ports.

They are down on RCI excursion list options. I think they give you a smart device to help you do a DIY tour of a place and they give the transport. You pay full excursion tour rate but it can be cheaper than with a real guide. That is my understanding of it anyway.

It's probably cheaper to hire a local tour guide.

I wonder though if you are on a "ship's tour" without a guide if they still guarantee they'll wait for you if you are late getting back?

That's not a problem as you use their transport to get to the city and back to port. You are just responsible for getting yourself to the pick up point on time.

Another option - In September, we booked tours in Roatan and Costa Maya through Shorefox which we accessed through ShipMate app. There were only four of us on Grand Cayman and on Costa Maya we had to get our transportation to the beach club. Both were cheaper and top notch