Thoughts on Canada/New England Cruises

pirate4me2

Hey CC friends!

I am debating on booking a 7 night Canada/New England cruise, and I was wondering what those of you who have done one thought of them? Any tips/advice/insight that you can share? Any really awesome excursions that we should look into? Thanks in advance!

Sent from my XT1585 using Forums mobile app

I have done this 7 day Canada/New England twice on Carnival. I am not much of an excursion person but I do enjoy walking tours of the area. The 4 ports: Boston; Portland; St John & Halifax are all great walking tour ports. I especially like Halifax with the Citadel Fort and the beautiful Halifax Public Gardens Park.

I did both cruises the third week in September. The weather was good in the mid 60's thru mid 70's. Give it a try. I am sure you will have a great time.

Do searches on this site. There is a lot of information available for this itinerary.:cool:

I have done this 7 day Canada/New England twice on Carnival. I am not much of an excursion person but I do enjoy walking tours of the area. The 4 ports: Boston; Portland; St John & Halifax are all great walking tour ports. I especially like Halifax with the Citadel Fort and the beautiful Halifax Public Gardens Park.

I did both cruises the third week in September. The weather was good in the mid 60's thru mid 70's. Give it a try. I am sure you will have a great time.

Do searches on this site. There is a lot of information available for this itinerary.:cool:

Thanks for the reply! I'm up in the air on whether to do it or not...what was the weather like when you went?

Thanks for the reply! I'm up in the air on whether to do it or not...what was the weather like when you went?

Each time I went the weather was sunny in 3 of the 4 ports. It did rain a bit the other day. The temperature ranged from the 60's in the morning to the mid 70's in the afternoon. This is great weather for walking and excursions. I went the 3rd week of September and the leaves were mostly still green so you will not see much fall foliage if you go around this same week.

We did a New England/Canada cruise on HAL and it was fabulous. We went in mid-July and the weather was gorgeous. Every day was sunny and pleasantly warm, but not hot.

Our itinerary--Quebec City, Charlottetown (PEI), Sydney (NS), Halifax, Bar Harbor and Boston--was very easy to see on our own, so there was no need to book excursions. We rented cars in Charlottetown and Sydney, but the other ports had plenty of sights that could be visited without a car.

I highly recommend this itinerary for a cruise!

We went 2 years ago on a different cruise line and LOVED it. Our ports were Portland, Bar Harbor, St John and Halifax. We walked around in Portland and got on a DUCK Boat for a tour, which was fun. In Bar Harbor we did a bike ride in Acadia - stunning! We liked Bar Harbor so much that we are planning a land vacation there. In St John we did a taxi tour with some others from our CC Roll Call and in Halifax we did a whale watching tour - don't waste your money trying to see whales from Halifax. The weather was nice and the sea was as smooth as I've ever seen it. We had family that did the very same trip last year and some of them got off at the first port because it was so rough. I would highly recommend finding an itinerary with a stop in Bar Harbor. There were several people that we spoke with that did a whale watching tour from Bar Harbor and they saw whales and other marine life.

I did a 4 day cruise to New Brunswick 3 years ago in June. It was a departure from the caribbean and really fun. It was cold, so bring pants. But I would like to do one again, we just happened to be in Boston for a wedding that weekend and why not add a cruise to extend our vacay if we are by a departure port :)

We loved our New England / Canada cruise! :D We went labor day weekend so the weather was very comfortable. If you are more interested in the fall foliage. then you will want to go the beginning of October. The trade off will be the cooler temperatures. It is a unique cruise and one that we will be repeating for sure!

We did a 5 day St. John's and Halifax itinerary a few years ago in Mid-June. We had a great time -Beautiful walking ports - loved the pubs and the lobster. Dress in layers. I wore jeans with a long sleeved t shirt and a sweater or hoodie over that and shed the outer layer as the day wore on. We will probably do this itinerary again one day, hoping to add Boston as well.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The best time of year for fall foliage would be the first two or three weeks of October. It's still mild enough to wear tshirts, and shorts too. It's not hot, but mild. Evenings can be cool. Of course, rain and fog and cooler days can happen any time of year, just like anywhere else you go. So a light jacket would be a good idea.

We did this cruise last year on another cruise line. The weather was stormy in 2 of the 4 ports. We had the BEST time. Being from CA, we don't get to see rain often. The ports were beautiful and we did an excursion to Acadia Park and mostly walked the other ports as the other excursion booked was cancelled due to weather. We found another excursion by walking off the ship and toured to Peggy's cove by Taxi, better than the huge bus tours. This cruise was mostly an older group; very relaxed. I live on the West Coast so the beauty of the East Coast was amazing to me.

Hey CC friends!

I am debating on booking a 7 night Canada/New England cruise, and I was wondering what those of you who have done one thought of them? Any tips/advice/insight that you can share? Any really awesome excursions that we should look into? Thanks in advance!

Edited by gwsster

The best time of year for fall foliage would be the first two or three weeks of October. It's still mild enough to wear tshirts, and shorts too. It's not hot, but mild. Evenings can be cool. Of course, rain and fog and cooler days can happen any time of year, just like anywhere else you go. So a light jacket would be a good idea.

That sounds like perfect weather! Sometimes I get tired of the HOT weather in the Caribbean, so this will be a great change!

The added bonus is that it will also be a much cheaper cruise! :D

Yes! :)

We went this year the first week in October on a Princess cruise. It was wonderful. We saw lots of color (in spite of the dry weather). The temperatures were mostly in the 60's to low 70's some days. I left reviews on the Canada/New England page about the Princess tours and the private tours we took. Definitely do the Canada/New England cruise. I want to go again.

Have not done the 7 day but Saint John twice and Halifax once. Peggy's Cove (book private) is the obvious in Halifax to take a tour of the area. We have gone east and west from Saint John to Bay of Fundy (nature lovers) and Saint Andrew's (cute coastal town) respectively. Both can be done with your own rental car; at the current rates, the day rental cost us $30 in October....

Congrats on the booking!! I'm sure you will have a great time. :)

Thanks Jeff! I'm going to be going back re-reading your review now that I'm actually booked!! I'm so flipping excited to try a new, different, non Caribbean itinerary. I'm sure I will be more than ready for beaches again after that cruise though. I love my warm, beautiful blue water, beaches. :) But this will be a great change of pace.