temporary hold on credit card

mafig

Has this ever happened to you on MSC?

We returned from our cruise on 10/29 and we had a "pending" charge on our credit card since then (almost 2 weeks). I called MSC yesterday and they said I had to get a FAX number from our bank so they could send them a FAX on their letter head to our bank to release this amount. Our bank was like ?????. They gave me a number to give to MSC to call but MSC insisted on a FAX number.

Called back our bank again and they said they would just remove the charge (which showed up immediately), and they also removed the foreign transaction fee.:) They said just make sure MSC doesn't put it on again.

This is not for the charges we incurred on the ship. Those have been paid.

We once (only once) had a "mini bar" charge for like $4.00 from Celebrity, that was in error, but they corrected that right away.

Is this their normal procedure?

Edited by mafig

Has this ever happened to you on MSC?

We returned from our cruise on 10/29 and we had a "pending" charge on our credit card since then (almost 2 weeks). I called MSC yesterday and they said I had to get a FAX number from our bank so they could send them a FAX on their letter head to our bank to release this amount. Our bank was like ?????. They gave me a number to give to MSC to call but MSC insisted on a FAX number.

Called back our bank again and they said they would just remove the charge (which showed up immediately), and they also removed the foreign transaction fee.:) They said just make sure MSC doesn't put it on again.

This is not for the charges we incurred on the ship. Those have been paid.

We once (only once) had a "mini bar" charge for like $4.00 from Celebrity, that was in error, but they corrected that right away.

Is this their normal procedure?

A pending charge is a hold. When you buy gas they will show a pending charge that is then replaced by the actual charge transaction.

I would suspect that they hold was placed to make sure that you had the capacity on your credit card for any charges made on ship. All of the cruise lines do it. If a matching charge comes in the bank will match the transactions and the hold will go away. If a charge transaction does not come in then it is the credit card company's (the bank) Policy on how long the hold will remain before it goes away.

Not unusual.

I realize all that you've posted. However, I've never had a hold for two weeks, I believe it's usually 4-5 days. It would probably still be there if I didn't call.

Anyway, it's taken care of and my bank also removed the foreign transaction fee. :)

• 2 weeks later...

we had a nightmare with them. we did a back to back cruise a while ago - fantasia and preziosa. when we got on the 2nd ship there was a hold on our card from the other ship. they couldn't release it so we had to use a different card!!! different ship but same company!!!! we were not happy but they did give us some credit to spend on board for the inconvenience. it took 2 weeks after we got back to drop off the cards