Can you lock your luggage?

unlimited

AS in airports, they can open to inspect and would cut the locks if they can not open and relock. Use TSA locks that they can open with a master. Some folks use cables like they use for handcuffs. Personally, I've never had a problem on the cruiselines.

TSA locks are certainly usuable but these are the only ones that could be recommended. They're well identified at travel stores, ect.

Plastic cable ties, available at home centers, are a cheap and effective way to keep your zippers zipped. If they are not there when you reach your destination, then you know that your bags were opened and can go from there.

Yes, you can and yes, you should.

Airline requirements are different from cruiseline requirements. Since you're not travelling by air, definitely lock your bags. We put locks on our bags before turning over to the porters at the dock. At the airport, we use cable ties, the luggage locks are kept in that funny little pocket on the outside of the bag that isn't good for anything else. We also keep a small scissor in that pocket for cutting off the cable ties.

Yes, you can and yes, you should.

Airline requirements are different from cruiseline requirements. Since you're not travelling by air, definitely lock your bags. We put locks on our bags before turning over to the porters at the dock. At the airport, we use cable ties, the luggage locks are kept in that funny little pocket on the outside of the bag that isn't good for anything else. We also keep a small scissor in that pocket for cutting off the cable ties.

Ok there is an old expression, " locks keep honest people honest". That is one reason for securing your luggage. The main other is to prevent the zippers from coming unzipped by accident. It is also a security issue to prevent someone from putting something in your luggage unknown to you.

As far as protecting from baggage handlers these days I think you are safe. Most of the time your luggage is handled by some strange device and if it is touched by human hands it is in a public area. At the ship they are so busy trying to load the luggage there is no time to stop and open one piece in the hope that someone was stupid enough to leave a valuable item in it.

I personaly use the zip ties to let me know if there has been any problem and if I am wrong about the rest, to protect someone from temptation.

Archived