Children on board

babs135

As we are both retired we have tended to cruise outside of school holidays so have never been on a ship with more than a handful of children - toddlers up to late teens. However, we will be on the Breakaway sailing out of New York on December 26th so I would imagine that there will be quite of lot of the little brutes (sorry, darling children) present :D

Are we going to be shocked or delighted at their general behaviour?

On one of our cruises there were two children, a boy of about 9 and a girl (presumably his sister) aged about 5 or 6 who would come to the buffet for a mid-afternoon snack on their own, in fact we never ever saw them with any adults. He would make sure his sister was seated and would then go to the buffet and bring her some food before sorting himself out. They were a treat to watch and behaved impeccably. The serving staff seemed to know them so we did wonder if they were family of one of the crew.

Awh! I can't comment on American children really but on med cruises there are generally tons of Spanish/English children in all the hot tubs and pools.

NCL are pretty good though in the sense that they have kids clubs and lounges which are pretty cool, the kids will be there a lot of the time playing on the Xbox :D

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

As we are both retired we have tended to cruise outside of school holidays so have never been on a ship with more than a handful of children - toddlers up to late teens. However, we will be on the Breakaway sailing out of New York on December 26th so I would imagine that there will be quite of lot of the little brutes (sorry, darling children) present :D

On one of our cruises there were two children, a boy of about 9 and a girl (presumably his sister) aged about 5 or 6 who would come to the buffet for a mid-afternoon snack on their own, in fact we never ever saw them with any adults. He would make sure his sister was seated and would then go to the buffet and bring her some food before sorting himself out. They were a treat to watch and behaved impeccably. The serving staff seemed to know them so we did wonder if they were family of one of the crew.

If this is what you're expecting, you will be shocked by what you actually get.

My first cruise was on the breakaway during mid-winter recess. There were 1600 kids on board-- I generally found most were ok, but certainly not necessarily like your previous experience. But yes, it's not really the kids-- it's the parents. Most of the issues I experienced were when the parents seem delighted that the kids were misbehaving.

I am currently on the breakaway now. While it is vacation week for some in new York and new jersey the ship is quite crowded with kids. Most of them are behaving alright but because of the handful that are not I am glad I am in a suite where I can go to a separate section to enjoy the hot tub and pool. As I walk by there was about 6 or 7 children and 1 adult alone in one hot tub. Kids screaming and running around no parent in site. Conversation on elevator is how could they just let there children run around with no supervision. Parents yelling at children and children not paying them any attention. But I guess parents and children are saying hey I'm on vacation anything goes. If I were you I would at least try to get a vibe pass and if not make use of spice h2o where it's a no kid zone from 8am-7pm

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Agreeing with others. I don't think NCL should have been your line of choice that week. I jumped lines last year to HAL for a Boston to Bermuda cruise just when summer vacation was starting and it was so NICE to actually be able to get in the pool. Not that the Haven is always a quieter place, but can you upgrade to a suite to have a bit of a refuge from the main pool area?

Now why would you pick Ncl out of NYC that very week? You want to avoid kids but purposely booked that week? Really?

Agreeing with others. I don't think NCL should have been your line of choice that week. I jumped lines last year to HAL for a Boston to Bermuda cruise just when summer vacation was starting and it was so NICE to actually be able to get in the pool. Not that the Haven is always a quieter place, but can you upgrade to a suite to have a bit of a refuge from the main pool area?

No choice. It's part of a larger package. Guess I'll cope. Plenty of others have. Call it an experience. Whether it will be one DH and I will care to repeat only time will tell. :eek: :D

The few that don't behave well will stand out.

We brought our kids on the BA, and they had some challenges with the 90 minute dinners in fancy places (nothing major and we kept it to the point where it wasn't a distraction). They behaved well I think, but if you happened to see us at some of those times that were challenging (arguments over who's turn it was to hit the stupid elevator button) you'd feel differently.

We sat next to a group of 10 kids one night in O'Sheehans who didn't have parents present, and it was a bit obnoxious. It all depends on what you are able to tolerate..

A holiday sailing out of NY? LOL Good luck!

Whoever thought that putting the cruise tour package together...and then market it to retired adults was a good idea....wasn't thinking clearly. Lol

The 14 day breakaway in January would have been a better choice

Even a better choice than the 10 January gem cruises

And definitely better than the december 26th to Nassau!!!

You did say...retired....right?

Edited by luvtheships

Not to pile on but seems like an interesting choice for a retired couple. I have two kids and would probably not sail over

Xmas from NY. It just to crowded and you pay twice as much for the same cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by DipBrat

Whoever thought that putting the cruise tour package together...and then market it to retired adults was a good idea....wasn't thinking clearly. Lol

The 14 day breakaway in January would have been a better choice

Even a better choice than the 10 January gem cruises

And definitely better than the december 26th to Nassau!!!

You did say...retired....right?

Hah? No idea what you are trying to say????

Edited by BirdTravels

Cruise Demographics

When we went to Alaska in August (Norwegian Jewel)

Passengers: 2662

Under 21 years old: 407 (15%)

Over 60 years old: 643 (24%)

Average Age: 48 Years old

When we went to New England/Canada in September (Norwegian Dawn)

Passengers: 1644

Under 21 years old: 16 (1%)

Average Age: 65 years old

Can't really say that the cruise with 15% kids and young adults was any "worse" than the cruise that were predominately retired passengers.

Cruise Demographics

When we went to Alaska in August (Norwegian Jewel)

Passengers: 2662

Under 21 years old: 407 (15%)

Over 60 years old: 643 (24%)

Average Age: 48 Years old

When we went to New England/Canada in September (Norwegian Dawn)

Passengers: 1644

Under 21 years old: 16 (1%)

Average Age: 65 years old

Can't really say that the cruise with 15% kids and young adults was any "worse" than the cruise that were predominately retired passengers.

I would love to see the demographics of the BA cruise for Christmas/new year week in 2015

That longer cruises tend to have fewer children???

And the the BA longer cruises are in January and much better priced and much more enjoyable with incredible ports

BA. 12 day...Jan 2015... Me and my 2 college kids...incredible time....very few little kids and lots of nice families cruising with their college seniors as they realize once they graduate...things change

GEM 10day....Jan 2016....same as above but add in the onset of Ncl giving away the UBP...plus it being only 10 days...that fell perfectly in line with college January break...plus great price....so in addition to the demographic from my 2015 BA cruise...my 2016 Gem cruise also included large groups of college kids with AND without families doing the spring break type cruise ....only in January. Which I find refreshing as they are planning to have interviews lined up for spring break!!

That's just my guess only because my college grad had set her interviews up for spring break

Btw I found the Gem cruise with the college partiers (and yes some were without their families) to be perfect and the college kids to be very respectful.

I just can't fathom what a cruise on the BA would be like between Xmas and new year when every single kid is off and the vast majority of parents take time off and Wall Street types shut down work for that week!!

Geez everyone who can afford that overpriced week is available to cruise!!!

I shutter to think how a retired couple will feel about this but nevertheless...I know they will make the best of it with their group

Of course they won't get into the hot tubs or pool so perhaps spa passes should be purchased online ahead of time....I'm serious about that.

Edited by luvtheships

Thanks to everyone who has commented. I'd just like to add a number of things myself.

Firstly, so long as the kids aren't too wild and 'in my face' I don't care. It's as much their holiday as it is mine and whilst DH and I are retired we are still very much young at heart. (It's just the rest of the body that lets me down :D)

Secondly, the time on the Breakaway is just one week of a four week holiday and I know we will cope because

Thirdly, we have the drinks package which I intend to make full use of and if the kids are a nuisance I simply won't care :eek:

Can't wait and I may just do a review when we get home.

Thanks to everyone who has commented. I'd just like to add a number of things myself.

Firstly, so long as the kids aren't too wild and 'in my face' I don't care. It's as much their holiday as it is mine and whilst DH and I are retired we are still very much young at heart. (It's just the rest of the body that lets me down :D)

Secondly, the time on the Breakaway is just one week of a four week holiday and I know we will cope because

Thirdly, we have the drinks package which I intend to make full use of and if the kids are a nuisance I simply won't care :eek:

With that attitude I'm sure you'll have a great time :)

and like you said, if you don't - you have the drinks package and 3 other weeks of vacation! Sounds like an awesome trip, I'd read that review if you wrote it.

Good to see that you have a great attitude about this. Too many times I see too many reviews with people complaining that the ship was filled with kids. This is NCL. NCL caters to families. There SHOULD be lots of kids.

I would suggest that you consider getting the spa pass, it could be a nice retreat if you find the ship too crowded.

You should be on HAL:

People complaining about wild children on a family cruise that is funny.

I hardly ever had any issues with children and I always cruise the high season.

Personally I have had more issues with the older folks there always clogging up the veins of the ship and hard to get around. They also clog all the elevators with there old folk gear making it hard to get in or out of a elevator so I always have to take the stairs.

The worse is when old folks are in the buffet or eating areas they cut lines and take forever I avoid the buffet a lot for this reason.

Also be careful what you ask for. I like to have fun and stay up late I have been on a so called old boat and the bars at night were dead after 10pm very boring cruise.