wheelchair help

reider

Here in the UK you can contact your cruise line about pre-booking assistance to take you on board, plus you will be collected and taken ashore at the end of the cruise. Only by pre-booking can you be sure of wheelchair assistance at the end.

I have arranged this for my parents and it has worked very well for them, especially the pick up at the end.

Good luck and enjoy your cruise!

I need help getting on the ship. i9s their a separate line up to get some help as I do not use a wheelchair, but I have shortmess of breath and could use some help

Contact Celebrity at special_needs@celebrity.com and tell them you need a wheelchair for embarkation and disembarkation.

This was their response to our request:

We recommend once at the pier speaking with one of the porters and they will be able to provide embarkation assistance. Once onboard speak with the Guest Services Desk and they will assist in making the accommodation for the disembarkation.

I need help getting on the ship. i9s their a separate line up to get some help as I do not use a wheelchair, but I have shortmess of breath and could use some help

I am taking my mom on a cruise and she has the same problem. I am not worried about getting her on and off the ship. I see that as the easy part, as it only takes a few minutes to get on the ship. It is the cruise itself I was worried about. I therefore intend to rent a wheel chair that delivers to the ship. Getting from point A to point B for the duration of the cruise is problematic. What are you going to do getting back and forth to all the venues for your cruise.

Contact Celebrity at special_needs@celebrity.com and tell them you need a wheelchair for embarkation and disembarkation.

This was their response to our request:

We recommend once at the pier speaking with one of the porters and they will be able to provide embarkation assistance. Once onboard speak with the Guest Services Desk and they will assist in making the accommodation for the disembarkation.

Their response to you is actually the procedure followed by cruiselines:)

Here in the UK you can contact your cruise line about pre-booking assistance to take you on board, plus you will be collected and taken ashore at the end of the cruise. Only by pre-booking can you be sure of wheelchair assistance at the end.

I have arranged this for my parents and it has worked very well for them, especially the pick up at the end.

Good luck and enjoy your cruise!

My friend has pre booked pier side assistance for her husband next year from Southampton. Do you need a print out of anything to show , how do they know you have pre booked ?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My friend has pre booked pier side assistance for her husband next year from Southampton. Do you need a print out of anything to show , how do they know you have pre booked ?

Pre-booking can give them an estimate in advance of how many wheelchair passengers they will need to accommodate that day, but it is not essential.

Even if you have not pre-booked, they are not going to deny assistance to anyone who needs it.

We often travel with a family member who requires wheelchair assistance and I don't recall anyone ever asking him whether or not he pre-booked.

When you arrive at the pier, ask if you need to sign in for wheelchair assistance. They sometimes use a sign-in sheet when there is a wait to accommodate people in the order in which they arrive.

Other times they may have wheelchairs and attendants readily available to take you right away, and no sign up sheet is needed.

They may also use a sign up sheet for passengers needing wheelchair assistance for disembarkation at the end of the cruise. They usually ask all the wheelchair passengers to assemble in one area on that day.

Edited by varoo

Last cruise I needed a wheelchair at the airport although I managed at the port...Just purchased a dinky folding chair that collapses into a bag, I can use if I need for the airport, port and trips off the ship.

I am hoping my mobility issues will not be bad enough to need to use the chair all the time but it will mean on 'bad days' I can still enjoy my cruise be it for an excursion or to get about the ship.

Really inexpensive, may be worth considering....

Last cruise I needed a wheelchair at the airport although I managed at the port...Just purchased a dinky folding chair that collapses into a bag, I can use if I need for the airport, port and trips off the ship.

I am hoping my mobility issues will not be bad enough to need to use the chair all the time but it will mean on 'bad days' I can still enjoy my cruise be it for an excursion or to get about the ship.

Really inexpensive, may be worth considering....

An alternative is the type of walking stick that includes a folding seat. I hate travelling with it as it seems to have a will of its own at time but it has been invaluable.

My husband can take a rest if he needs or lean on the stick if he needs. But the main value comes with the reactions of others when they see it. Attitudes change and grumpy taxi drivers (for example) become helpful. We have never needed to ask for help when they see the stick.

My gripe about "the" stick (beyond it having a will of its own) is that it highlights my husband as the one need help. He is given great consideration by virtually everyone even airport security. Unfortunately, at times my needs are greater but coordination problems prohibit me using a stick. I would have myself and everyone close by in a heap on the floor. But, "no stick, no disability". This year, I have finally had to admit defeat and book airport assistance as well. I cannot any longer chase after ultra-fit wheelchair pushers.

Before anyone says I should speak up for myself, let me explain why I am reluctant to do so by giving a recent example. I may have had a disability for 44 years but I keep a fit as I can to lessen its impact. Consequently I look fit and healthy and (I am told) younger than my years. To add to my problems, I have had a frozen shoulder for over a year. When we arrived at airport security at Miami after our latest cruise, my husband (holding stick) was waved around the full-body scanner. It was the first time I have had to use one. I saw the instructions and said to the security person "I cannot do that". I simply could not, and cannot, raise my right arm above my head as required. She just shouted at me to raise my arms. I did, as far as I could but just could not hold that position for as long as required. I moved. She shouted at me again. Eventually she called me over for manual scanning. Told me to lift my arms. I said "that is the best I can do". She grabbed my arm and tried to force it up. She could not move it up. No apology. She just shouted at me "you should have said something". I did not argue. I just apologised and slunk off.

Disabilities are not always visible.

Apologies for the rant but, with our next cruise approaching, I am dreading the return through Miami airport.

Disabilities are not always visible.

Hi ProjectGal

I agree completely I have an ICD (A Diffib) and two hip replacements. Sometimes I am able to walk unaided others I need help, that's when my trusty fold up crutch comes in. I traced it on the internet and folds neatly into 3 and is able to be slotted into or on my roller for use on the difficult days.

For the diffib I always carry my 'diffibcard' which allows me to skip all the electronic devices at airports, so far without too much hassle, and if challenged I refuse point blank to allow them to be used on my body, :eek: as a last resort I usually show where my diffib is inserted.

Like others because I try my best to be as fit as possible I know I do look health and well which I am so long as I look after and protect myself if I don't it is another story. I do agree Miami can be difficult I really don't know why some of the personnel and security are so abrupt. We find Fort Lauderdale airport less so. I always or nearly always ask for assistance a God send going through busy airports. ;)

As the previous two posts indicate the difficulties one has are not always clearly visible....I had some surgery this year and unfortunately need more but I need a gap and a couple of cruises first!! I can walk short distances, some days better than others. I felt almost 'guilty' last year booking a wheelchair for the airport but knew I would pay in pain if I didn't....

Lesson learned, it made my journey so much easier although it has taken me until now to purchase my own chair.

I think many of us are in the same boat (or ship!). Not fully disabled but needing some help some of the time!

Pre-booking can give them an estimate in advance of how many wheelchair passengers they will need to accommodate that day, but it is not essential.

Even if you have not pre-booked, they are not going to deny assistance to anyone who needs it.

We often travel with a family member who requires wheelchair assistance and I don't recall anyone ever asking him whether or not he pre-booked.

When you arrive at the pier, ask if you need to sign in for wheelchair assistance. They sometimes use a sign-in sheet when there is a wait to accommodate people in the order in which they arrive.

Other times they may have wheelchairs and attendants readily available to take you right away, and no sign up sheet is needed.

They may also use a sign up sheet for passengers needing wheelchair assistance for disembarkation at the end of the cruise. They usually ask all the wheelchair passengers to assemble in one area on that day.

Thank you for the information

Sent from my iPad using Forums