vancouver and victoria after DWI

jcpelly

Just wondering if someone in our group that had a DWI in the past will have problems or cannot take a cruise out of Vancouver or make a stop in Victoria. I know crossing the border from the US to Canada by car can be a major hassle and expensive. Thanks

I don't usually do this BUT I think this will save you a lot of time and then you still may not get what you want.

Have a read. It's complicated sometimes.

Notice the dates.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2025307

Edited by LeftcoastBC

Here's some light reading for http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/enforcement/index.asp it's best to contact Canadian immigration. In all the times we've been to Victoria we have never been asked for any kind of identification, they don't hardly look at you when you walk by. I would think that they've already looked at your travel documents before you get on the ship, I doubt if they could run 3500 passengers passports or travel documents in 90 minutes.

Just wondering if someone in our group that had a DWI in the past will have problems or cannot take a cruise out of Vancouver or make a stop in Victoria. I know crossing the border from the US to Canada by car can be a major hassle and expensive. Thanks

It is our experience with the passengers in the next stateroom that Canada will not allow you into Canadian waters with any conviction that has not been reconciled with them before you arrive.

Our cruise started in San Diego with a stop in Seattle before arriving in Victoria the following day. Upon arrival in Seattle, HAL Security removed the two passengers from the ship for a 35-year old marijuana minor possession charge. No excuses were accepted and no refunds were provided by the cruise line.

The Canadian government is indeed very aware of all who are intending to enter their ports via cruise ship.

It depends on how much RISK, someone wants to accept.

Sorry, but the "I've never had trouble", "they don't check", "you will be fine", etc. MEAN absolutely NOTHING. There are fixed written rules in place that can be enforced. IF it makes you "feel better, and more "confident" in your choices, simply up to you -if- you want to rely on a random message board instead of official information and sites.