terrible info from Princess

tanwooddr

Just returned from Oct.27 sailing on the Coral Princess. Had departed home before any E-mails arrived from the line. Kept calling the emergency number and was given wrong information each time I called. Upper management never updated info although some large groups had been told of the port change as early as Tues. AM. Spent 2 nights at airport hotel at the cost of $299. per night and I do not know if insurance will cover the expense as I was not 100 miles from home. Also cost several hundred dollars for last minute air tickets to Miami instead of FLL. Not a good way to begin a cruise!

Don't get me wrong, but, why would anyone in their right mind change airline tkts from FLL to MIA for a change in ports, the cities are so close together you could have taken a cab for less than the change in tkts cost you. Something is not right.

Sorry to hear about your ordeal.

But why would you not just fly down to FLL and then either get a rental car (about $30 max) or a private car / limo (about $60 to $100) to MIA ?

Also there was a Boat Show at FLL (delayed a week by Wilma) so the hotels were very tight - you would know that long ago as cruisers have discussed how difficult to get hotels at FLL for that period.

Since you said you were not 100 miles away from home, sounds you are from Florida ? or Georgia ? You would not be in the dark with Wilma ... I mean the news coverage started 4 or 5 days before Wilma even got to Cancun ...

Granted, the widespread power outage has brought down communication completely - only very old fashion landline phones work, that is, until the reserved power ran out. Cell phones not working, Cable TV / Internet service not working ... 98% of Ft. Lauderdale was without power. Cable TV/ Internet service did not return until 11/3, just to give you an idea.

Sorry to hear about your ordeal.

But why would you not just fly down to FLL and then either get a rental car (about $30 max) or a private car / limo (about $60 to $100) to MIA ?

Also there was a Boat Show at FLL (delayed a week by Wilma) so the hotels were very tight - you would know that long ago as cruisers have discussed how difficult to get hotels at FLL for that period.

Since you said you were not 100 miles away from home, sounds you are from Florida ? or Georgia ? You would not be in the dark with Wilma ... I mean the news coverage started 4 or 5 days before Wilma even got to Cancun ...

Granted, the widespread power outage has brought down communication completely - only very old fashion landline phones work, that is, until the reserved power ran out. Cell phones not working, Cable TV / Internet service not working ... 98% of Ft. Lauderdale was without power. Cable TV/ Internet service did not return until 11/3, just to give you an idea.

here is another post from the OP that may clear up some questions.

I live about 40 miles from LGA airport. Arrived at airport on Tues 25 Oct to find that the flight to Fort Lauderdale had been cancelled but airline told me that later flights might depart that day. Called Princess and was told the cruise would depart from FLL on Wed. 26th. Rebooked the first flight out on the 26th at 6am. Rather than have to arise again at 4AM opted to stay at airport hotel Limo transportation to return home was $125 and would have to book another round trip limo ride to get back to airport. On Wed was notified by airline that all flights to Fll for the day were again cancelled. Began a day of phone calls to Princess to be told that they still didn't know when the ship woould be sailing and had no information. Finally at about 4PM Princesss told me that the ship would definitely sail on Thursday. Was able to get tickets to Miami on American Air at an additional cost of $270. early Thursday AM and finally we were on our way. Didn't want to have such a lengthy post but you asked.

------------------

Bill

:confused: This post is confusing. What exactly has Princess done wrong? Changing the port of embarkation/disembarkation from Port Everglades to the Port of Miami surely had to be the result of Hurricane Wilma and her aftermath. Lucky your cruise was not cancelled!

I live and work in the areas that were hit hardest by the storm. Believe me, the first 4-5 days after Wilma blew through were a nightmare. There was no power, no gas, no ice and no communication. We went 10 days without power and some of my co-workers were still without power when we left work yesterday for the weekend.

Sorry if you were a little inconvenienced by having to travel that extra 30 miles south. :rolleyes: Why two extra nights in a hotel, and why was a $299/nt one necessary? Were you flying in from Naples or Fort Myers or West Palm? This story doesn't add up? Please explain.

Oink! :)

Thanks Bill. In the post that starts this thread, the OP states that he was given the wrong information, then your clarification states that there was no information to be had. You can't fault the OP for being disappointed, but I don't think Princess can be blamed either. They didn't know where the ship would be allowed to dock or when, nor did anyone predict how much destruction Wilma would cause. Thus, an extra day's delay occurred, which might be the "wrong information" mentioned. Just bad luck all around.

A very good friend of mine lives 15 minutes west of FLL and she just got her power back on three days ago. She had no power, no phones, no cable, no means of communicating with anyone other than cell phone; her metal storms were blown off, she has to replace all of the furniture in her living room, etc. They couldn't go anywhere because there was no electricity to pump gas. The schools have been closed in that area and I believe are just re-opening this week. This is just minutes from FLL.

After Katrina and Rita, I think the NY media pretty much ignored the devastation in FL from Wilma. My Mom in Naples is still living with commercial fans going in her condo to dry it out, two weeks later.

No one in that area knew when the power would come back or whether or where the ships could turn around.

Good thing you got insurance...

Archived