Conquest Review 11-06-2016

ScottsSweetie

I noticed that there is a shortage of recent Conquest reviews, so here is mine for November 6, 2016.

DH & I booked this cruise about 2 months ago. He has been traveling like crazy this year and I just wrapped up my Dad's estate as the Executor, so we deserved a vacation.

We left our home on November 1 and worked our way down through DH's sales territory in Florida, ending up at the Embassy Suites in Deerfield Beach for our pre-cruise night. The price was around $270 all in, which is normally more than we would pay, but thanks to a timeshare visit earlier in the year we had a $200 voucher. If it's in your budget for you pre-cruise stay, it's a nice place. We booked a partial ocean view and were upgraded to ocean front. The room was very nice. Pool area is very nice, and beach is right across their parking lot.

Our chosen check-in time was 12:30, so we left the hotel around 11:30 to visit Total Wine before boarding. On the way, our son calls from home and has locked his keys in the car - DH has the only other key (original) on his key ring with us. There just happened to be an Ace Hardware next door to the wine store - we get 2 copies made, drive less than a mile to the post office and drop it in the mailbox. Proceed to Park N Go, where we had pre-paid parking for the week, which happened to be less than 2 miles from where we were. I guess I did not see the part where they keep the keys to your car, but it was okay. Not sure if I would do it again, but the $59 they charged us was a lot less than parking at the port, and easy peasy.

TIP: If you have a Container Store near you, you can purchase the cardboard containers that will carry your 2 bottles of wine with a handle on it (similar to the ones Carnival has when you purchase). I bought one for $2 and change, and it certainly helped to keep all of that weight out of our carry on. We folded it up and brought it home to reuse.

We arrived at the port around 1:30 - walked right in. No one was in front of us in the priority line. There have been discussions here lately about the medical form - when we turned ours in, the check-in agent circled our "no" answers, initialed the bottom & laid it next to her. There was an agent sitting at a table behind her unfolding and looking at ALL of the med forms. They did take our picture instead of using our passport pics (maybe because those are almost 10 years old). Walked right on the ship and straight to the room.

We booked inside guarantee - we were assigned 9204, handicap accessible room on Lido deck. We've never had a cabin this high before. The room was a little awkward, but the bathroom and shower were terrific!

Towards the end of our muster drill, the Princess ship next to us played the "Love Boat" them on their horns - we liked it!

Some general thoughts about a couple of things:

FOOD

American Table - this was our first experience with it. We enjoyed having some new options. I don't think we had anything that we didn't like.

'Ol Fashioned BBQ - this is in the old fish and chips location. The pork and the brisket were really good. The beans were not. The potato salad was just okay.

Seafood Corner - We had a snack here one day. Ordered the Buffalo Shrimp Bucket for $6.00. Not much "buffalo" to be found, but the shrimp was very lightly breaded and very good. Pieces of blue cheese in the bucket with the shrimp (an even dozen), and the bucket comes on a platter with a side of fries. Order at the counter and get a buzzer - they let you know when it's done.

We also visited Guy's Burgers, Blue Iguana Cantina, Pizza Pirate and the Deli - all were fine.

We had breakfast in the buffet every morning except for the first sea day, when we went to the brunch.

SHOWS

We went to the Welcome Aboard Show, 80s Pop to the Max, Epic Rock & Flick. Flick is apparently a new show - Conquest is only the third ship to have it. It was really good with some interesting special effects. Our opinion was that the male singers were a fair bit better than the female singers.

Comedians were Lance Montalto and Jeffrey Jana - both were funny.

CHAIR HOGS

Out in force! The second day we got up at 8:00am just so we could find a seat. DH commented, "Now I remember why I didn't like the Conquest the first time we sailed her".

Now, here's the interesting part.

PORTS

Monday - Half Moon Cay. We woke up in the middle of the night and said there is NO WAY we will be getting into HMC. We were rocking and rolling all night long. Sure enough - no dice. Too windy and swells too high for tenders. Ugh. Our 2nd cruise in a row to miss our favorite place. :(:mad:

Tuesday - sea day. This was the day we got up at 8:00am to get a seat, and we stayed there until 11:00 when we gave up our seats to go to brunch.

Wednesday - Grand Turk. This was our first visit to this port. We planned on using the free beach chairs and that's what we did. It was a great place to simply relax. We stayed out for several hours and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.

TIP: I always buy the small inflatable rings at the dollar store and take them with us to lean on in the ocean. It's just large enough to give you a little buoyancy while in the water holding your drink! We usually pass them off to kids when we're done with them.

Thursday - Amber Cove. This was to be our first visit to this port, but it was not meant to be. Apparently they have been having torrential rains and flooding, so we could not dock. I had actually seen John Heald post on facebook a couple of days earlier that the Vista hadn't docked for the same reason, so I was kind of prepared for it when it happened. Again, disappointment. :(

Friday - SCHEDULED as a sea day, but we docked in Nassau to "make up" for missing Amber Cove (a very poor substitution, in my opinion). We got off the ship and walked around a little. Nassau is not one of our favorite places. We found a little bar called "The Bearded Clam" and it gave us a little laugh. They had a sign up with an "American Election Shot Special". If you voted for Trump, buy a Golden ( ) Grabber. If you voted for Hillary, buy 3 rum shots and move to the Bahamas. Lol.

Since we had planned to do no excursions at ports, we did the Behind the Scenes Tour (scheduled for Friday, moved to Thursday). Our last few cruises had been on smaller ships and I wanted to wait until we were on a large ship. We loved it. I have to mention this, though. When we purchased it at the Excursion Desk, they mentioned that we would need closed toed shoes and were not allowed cell phones or cameras. When our tickets were received in our room, the envelope stated "important details on back of envelope", and it had the same two rules on it. And, of course, two people showed up in sandals with their cameras around their necks. Our tour guide politely "invited them" to go back to their room and return sans cameras and wearing appropriate footwear. Two people didn't show up, so off we went, only for them to join the tour about 30 minutes later (and one of them with a cell phone in his pocket). I would highly recommend this tour. We each received a lanyard, a string bag with a ball cap, a Conquest wrist band, 2 cookies when visiting the galley, picture of the group in front of the ship's bell, pictures of the group + picture of just the two of us with the Captain on the Bridge. At the end of the tour we had a choice of water, orange juice, mimosa or champagne while we finished up and filled out a survey. Upon return to the room had a plate of chocolate covered strawberries.

We received our plate of chocolates (Platinum perk) on the first full sea day, which is normally elegant night. Our elegant nights on this cruise were Tuesday & Thursday, which was a little odd.

We used our free drink coupon in the Brunch on the first sea day.

We received nightlights as our gift.

We met in the dining room for disembarkation. We were asked to be there by 8:15 - we got there around 7:45. I thought that pastries and coffee were served there, but I guess I remembered wrong. DH went to lido to get us some pastries and coffee, and when he got back around 8:00am they were already calling Zones 1 and 2. We finished our breakfast, got in line, and headed out. The shuttle was waiting right outside - we hopped on and they took us right to our car. We were in the car and on the road by 9:00am.

There was a Veterans Day event scheduled for Friday when it was our sea day. It was moved to Thursday since we subbed in Nassau. We decided to go - it was very moving. Lots of veterans talked about different things and it was really a nice tribute. Then on Friday they had the giant flag in the lobby, and after saying the pledge and one of the singers performing the National Anthem they had a giant cake that they served in the lobby.

DO NOT miss Kudos Strings. They play some beautiful classical music - then they play Queen, Led Zeppelin, and Metallica. They were awesome. We also enjoyed Rick and the U-Turns.

I think I've covered everything. If you have questions, I'll be happy to try and answer.

Thanks for your review. What were the sea conditions like. Was the boat rocking and rolling the entire cruise or just at certain times.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We were really rocking and rolling the first night, and again later in the week (I think on Thursday night). But, we were really feeling it because our room was both up high (on Lido deck) and in the very front of the ship, so we were in the perfect location to feel all of the movement. People on lower decks or in the middle of the ship wouldn't have felt it like we did.

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about the ship!!

We are on the Conquest in Feb. and are staying in an inside on the Lido deck, how did you like the room and the location?

How did you book the behind the scenes tour and how much was it?

I'd say being on Lido was a mixed bag for us. Our room was in the very front (actually on the cross hall that goes between the two sides). It was very convenient to the buffet and sun decks. Our assigned dining room (for late seating) was in the front of the ship, so that was a hike. Also remember that you will feel the movement of the ship more than on lower decks. We are not particular at all, though, about room location, almost always booking guarantee rates.

We booked our Behind the Scenes Tour at the Excursion Desk on the first day. We went to the desk after muster drill - there were only 3 people signed up before us. It was $95 per person. Our tour met in the Library at 8:30, started the tour at 8:45 and we finished up right around 11:45 or so. Keep in mind that there is a lot of walking and a lot of stairs (and the stairs in the crew areas are much steeper than the stairs in the passenger area).

I'm leaving on Conquest on Sunday but completely different stops: Jamaica, Grand Cayman and Cozumel.

What was the name of the parking garage you went to and was it extremely easy and efficient? I cannot decide if I want to do that or use Port Parking, and I'm cutting it close.

We used Park 'N Go, which is actually one of the airport parking lots as well. It was extremely efficient and easy. Very quick trip to and from the port. Reserve on line for discounted parking.

https://www.bookparkngo.com/

We used Park 'N Go, which is actually one of the airport parking lots as well. It was extremely efficient and easy. Very quick trip to and from the port. Reserve on line for discounted parking.

https://www.bookparkngo.com/

I just went to their web site and plugged in my dates, and it's $15 a day. Exactly the same as parking right at the port.

I just went to their web site and plugged in my dates, and it's $15 a day. Exactly the same as parking right at the port.

Wow. I paid $59 and change total for my 6 day cruise, but I booked several weeks out. Perhaps it goes up closer to booking date. Or perhaps it's more due to it being Thanksgiving week.

I would certainly park at the port if the rates are the same.

Wow. I paid $59 and change total for my 6 day cruise, but I booked several weeks out. Perhaps it goes up closer to booking date. Or perhaps it's more due to it being Thanksgiving week.

I would certainly park at the port if the rates are the same.

Yes - that's what I'm going to end up doing. I had bad luck with one company out of Orlando. When we got off the ship we were waiting outside for a shuttle for nearly 45 minutes in 95 degree weather. I'm hesitant to try it again.

They raise their rates during the holidays (and they celebrate a very long holiday period), and there is a lower rate for paying in advance instead of paying on site.

Thank you for the review. Quick question for you, ScottsSweetie...

We ship out on the Conquest next week and have read about the Vista and Conquest missing the Amber Cove port. How long were you guys docked in Nassau? We're supposed to be in Amber Cove from 7-2 and are wondering if they change the port times if you go to a different port. :)

Thank you for the review. Quick question for you, ScottsSweetie...

We ship out on the Conquest next week and have read about the Vista and Conquest missing the Amber Cove port. How long were you guys docked in Nassau? We're supposed to be in Amber Cove from 7-2 and are wondering if they change the port times if you go to a different port. :)

I was on this Conquest cruise too. We docked in Nassau at 7AM and back on board time was 3:30PM.