Sleeveless T Shirts allowed in MDR for Breakfast?

mikeysed

Agree with the comment about even if you could, maybe you shouldn't.

Sleeveless T shirts in my opinion are for yard work and the gym, not public. They aren't nearly as flattering as most people think. Last flight there was a guy with a tank top who HAD to stand in the isle of the plan next to me with his arm resting on the overhead bin. Yup - that means his gross hairy armpit 2 inches from my face. He was young and in shape but still..... armpit smell is armpit smell and NOT for public view in my opinion.

Edited by Lisah101

What about hats? Are men wearing baseball caps to breakfast or lunch?

Men should not need a dress code to tell them not to wear hats indoors (at least when sitting down for dinner), but the dress code does say no baseball caps in the main dining room or any specialty restaurant at any time. It's silent on the buffet, but it's still polite to remove your hat when you sit at a table to eat.

Men should not need a dress code to tell them not to wear hats indoors (at least when sitting down for dinner), but the dress code does say no baseball caps in the main dining room or any specialty restaurant at any time. It's silent on the buffet, but it's still polite to remove your hat when you sit at a table to eat.

I agree with you, and find my generation, boomers, generally adhere to that advise, however, the younger generation clearly does not as evidenced from restaurants in my area and elsewhere in the USA.

What about hats? Are men wearing baseball caps to breakfast or lunch?

If I am wearing a baseball cap and going to the main dining room for breakfast or lunch I take it off. Pretty easy to do, comes right off..... and I think that is still the custom. Good manners.

Edited by Charles4515

If I am wearing a baseball cap and going to the main dining room for breakfast or lunch I take it off. Pretty easy to do, comes right off..... and I think that is still the custom. Good manners.

I always wondered why unsightly hat head is considered good manners while a neat baseball cap is not.

I always wondered why unsightly hat head is considered good manners while a neat baseball cap is not.

A very casual or fast food restaurant it's okay. Like a McDonalds or Panera Bread. IHOP and Denny's. The buffet onboard it is okay. The hat should come off at a sit down restaurant like say a Maggianos or the main dining room on a cruise ship. It is not difficult. You simply take it off when you sit down to eat and put it back on when you leave. It is out of respect that you don't wear a hat when dining there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Charles4515

A very casual or fast food restaurant it's okay. Like a McDonalds or Panera Bread. IHOP and Denny's. The buffet onboard it is okay. The hat should come off at a sit down restaurant like say a Maggianos or the main dining room on a cruise ship. It is not difficult. You simply take it off when you sit down to eat and put it back on when you leave. It is out of respect that you don't wear a hat when dining there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I understand that, I just question the rationale. Why is a hat considered disrespectful in the first place?

No, hat head is not considered good manners (that's what a comb and brush are for) and neither is wearing a cap to a meal on Celebrity.

I understand that, I just question the rationale. Why is a hat considered disrespectful in the first place?

For the same reasons that wearing a sleeveless t-shirt to a meal is disrespectful.

For the same reasons that not wearing deodorant is disrespectful

For the same reason that burping or breaking wind at a meal is disrespectful.

Edited by El Crucero

How it came to be in the first place.......it was originally considered a sign of peace for a man to remove their hat. Also people wore hats outside to protect from the elements or stuff dropped from above landing on their heads. They took it off inside cause the crap would be on it and they put it back on when leaving. Not taking it off and wearing it inside indicated you had a better place to be. Not respectful.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Charles4515

How it came to be in the first place.......it was originally considered a sign of peace for a man to remove their hat. Also people wore hats outside to protect from the elements or stuff dropped from above landing on their heads. They took it off inside cause the crap would be on it and they put it back on when leaving. Not taking it off and wearing it inside indicated you had a better place to be. Not respectful.

They used to lay their coat over a puddle for ladies to walk over, but we don't do that anymore. Times change. I just don't get why in a casual setting (like breakfast on a cruise), wearing a hat is not respectful.

No, hat head is not considered good manners (that's what a comb and brush are for) and neither is wearing a cap to a meal on Celebrity.

For the same reasons that wearing a sleeveless t-shirt to a meal is disrespectful.

For the same reasons that not wearing deodorant is disrespectful

For the same reason that burping or breaking wind at a meal is disrespectful.

The last two are obvious, but if a sleeveless shirt is disrespectful because it shows unsightly hair, why is a hat covering same considered disrespectful?

The last two are obvious, but if a sleeveless shirt is disrespectful because it shows unsightly hair, why is a hat covering same considered disrespectful?

Showing unsightly hair is disrespectful whether on the top of your head, in your armpit, or out of the leg of your bathing suit. And this applies to both men and women. It is called "good grooming" and "self respect."

Charles, agree.

Manners were probably emphasized more in past generations because people were judged on their manners. Taking off your hat indoors, especially for a meal was one of those must do items. Sleeveless T shirts are commonly referred to as wife-beater shirts, so that should tell you something about what it reflects.

Young people are not instructed in manners like my generation (Boomers) and my parent's generation was positively obsessed with manners.

We live in a cruder world, so let's try to make it less so.

So a man with nice shorts and polo shirt, but hairy legs and sandals, is acceptable while a hat is not. I just don't get it. And I'm not part of that younger generation. I grew up with manners just like my parents. Please and thank you, hold the door, don't point, elbows off the table...

They used to lay their coat over a puddle for ladies to walk over, but we don't do that anymore. Times change. I just don't get why in a casual setting (like breakfast on a cruise), wearing a hat is not respectful.

The same reason you would your hat off during the national anthem or pledge of allegiance. It is considered respectful. Customs rarely retain their original reasons for prompting the custom to start, however continued observance is generally considered respectful. That's why they call it a custom. Consequently, failure to observe custom is generally considered disrespectful

Edited by Fish Lover

So a man with nice shorts and polo shirt, but hairy legs and sandals, is acceptable while a hat is not. I just don't get it. And I'm not part of that younger generation. I grew up with manners just like my parents. Please and thank you, hold the door, don't point, elbows off the table...

You are a hard case. You don't have to get it. You can even go ahead and be one of the dorky guys who wears his baseball cap, or socks with sandals, [emoji3] in the main dining room. Likely they won't stop you. It's up to you......

People wearing hats (Fedora, Homburg, Gambler, Trilby, Pork Pie, etc.) are

familiar with hat etiquette and acting accordingly by showing respect to others

and taking the hat off when inside a church, home or restaurant.

Not to make things more complicated but it is tolerable for women wearing

their hat inside.