1st or 2nd night " more formal"?

mcatmcat

For me, the first. By the second formal night I'm too far into vacation mode to want to spend an hour and a half of my day doing my hair and makeup, neither of which stay put anyway because of the humidity, so I put much less effort into the whole formal look by day 6.

Others may feel more dressy for the second one because they're no longer pale and pasty and have a nice healthy glow from the sunshine, and feel the opposite of how I feel (they are so relaxed that they feel they have time to primp).

There are also lots of new cruisers who didn't realize there was more than one formal night (as happened to us on our first cruise), and only brought one formal outfit. On average, people are dressed the same both nights.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

On our very first cruise FOTS we saw many people, mostly older, completely dressed to the 9s for the first formal night. Our family dressed up as well. It was fun and we really enjoyed it. I was amazed at some of the elegant outfits these men and women wore to formal night. It added an atmosphere and energy that made it memorable for all of us.

That being said - by the time you get to the 2nd formal night ... its exhaustion from ports, sunburns, no laundry or irons to press clothes. We dressed for the 2nd night as well but it was a sportcoat for me... no tie. Wifey wore a simple dress. Kids (girls) wore dresses but not as nice. More summery type dresses.

All in all I think formal night would be a hit if they only did it once, served lobster and other fantastic dishes on that night and it was mandatory/enforced to dress up. Then dump the 2nd formal night.

It would be fun, early in the cruise and would be part of the excitement to kick everything off.

1st night was more dressy.

-Sean

Edited by wilmingtech

There is hardly a "formal" night anymore. But, the 1st one is usually the most "dressed up"....whatever that means nowadays. Folks think a clean pair of black pants is "formal"...so sad!

I think it is where you are sailing from. On European cruises most still dress formal.

Plus at new year i was in the minority wearing a smart suit rather than a DJ. Cant recollect more than handful not being dressed smart.

I think it is where you are sailing from. On European cruises most still dress formal.

Plus at new year i was in the minority wearing a smart suit rather than a DJ. Cant recollect more than handful not being dressed smart.

This is correct about European cruises in our experience.

Out of Dubai was the real surprise though, almost 100% formal attire both nights including folks in the windjammer!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

you would need to understand the poster's history( not Oceanlover, but the person he quoted)

I do understand the poster's history, but not sure why other's feel the need to jump on her? Rude and unnecessary, better to just ignore.

Sherri:)

Speaking as a lady I must say that I wear my skinny dress on the first formal night and my more comfy dress on the second formal night. Both formal, but I find that I have grown a little over the course of the cruise. :mad: Also, take into account the sunburn factor and tan lines. Want to look nice for my free Diamond photo. :D

Speaking as a lady I must say that I wear my skinny dress on the first formal night and my more comfy dress on the second formal night. Both formal, but I find that I have grown a little over the course of the cruise. :mad: Also, take into account the sunburn factor and tan lines. Want to look nice for my free Diamond photo. :D

That's funny:D and probably true for many of us!

Sherri:)