Pre-paying gratuities in Canadian dollars.

lucywestie

So if I was to pre-pay mygratuities up here in Canada would it be at par in Canadian dollars or would they tack on the exchange rate. So for example, its its $13 US per day on board, would I pay $13 CDN if I pay now or will it be approx $16 CDN (because of the horrendous exchange rate).

Any Canucks out there that can chime in on this?

So if I was to pre-pay mygratuities up here in Canada would it be at par in Canadian dollars or would they tack on the exchange rate. So for example, its its $13 US per day on board, would I pay $13 CDN if I pay now or will it be approx $16 CDN (because of the horrendous exchange rate).

I've always had exchange added on. It was quite a bargain when our dollar was worth a little more!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

First off, you can only prepay your gratuities in CDN if your cruise was booked in CDN.

Royal typically sets the exchange rate for gratuities for several months at a time do I does not fluctuate. All you need to do is call Royal and ask them the cost to prepay your gratuities. You can then decide if it is better to prepay or wait and pay on board in US$. The last time I prepaid them I think they were charging $1.23

Exchange rates of all cruise lines are horrendous. It is better to rely on the exchange rate of the credit card company, especially if it does not charge forex fees.

It will not be at par. Sorry.

Exchange rates of all cruise lines are horrendous. It is better to rely on the exchange rate of the credit card company, especially if it does not charge forex fees.

While that is true for on board purchases and paying your Seapass card at the end of the cruise often the conversion rate that Royal uses makes it advantageous to purchase things ahead of time through the cruise planner in CDN$ Currently a lot of items (dining, Internet, drink packages etc) are at a 1.31 premium which is better than the bank rate.