HAL no longer takes bags to airport FLL

marluvs2go

Last night we made luggage direct reservations for FLL on American Airlines (Nuew Amsterdam mid Dec); we have a confirmation and a notice that we will be charged thru our shipboard account once the cruise commences. It's a bit hard to find on the HAL website but it seems straightforward after that. We accessed the correct site thru the search feature which then transferred to our booked guests portal. There's a mention that the service in a limited fashion initially will expand to Copenhagen soon with just a couple of airlines initially so this does not sound like an option that is going away.

https://www.maketraveleasier.com/holland

Thank you for the link! We are sailing on Saturday on the Eurodam and I was able to book Luggage Direct for our return home. It's nice to have it taken care of and not have to worry about it.

Best regards,

Priscilla

OP, could it be because your flight left so late in the day that they couldn't deliver it for you? Maybe flights have to be departing within a certain window of time to make the luggage direct an option (?)

OP stated her flight was at 5:30 pm. My flight in January will be at 6:30 pm and I had no problem signing up. I hope OP comes back and answers more questions for us, I'm curious. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I was just now able to book our Luggage Direct for January 22. Up until now it wasn't available that far out.

All is well. :D

Just singed up for our December Rotterdam cruise no problem...

Add us to the list of those for whom Luggage Direct service is STILL AVAILABLE - we just signed up online for Luggage Direct service for our January cruise on ms Nieuw Amsterdam. Lesson learned: Don't believe the CC doomsayers who sound the alarm bell before getting the facts straight. So when in doubt, go to the source for reliable info.

Smooth sailing ...

Edited by avian777

I have read all the posts and will try and tell you ONLY what happened to us.

1. Booked Cruise and Flight thru HAL. Baggage options were outlined as Optional on either Jet Blue or HAL (they are confusing as to which site you are on). I chose nothing because from experience I thought you could just sign up on board to have luggage taken to airport.

2. First day we received the Disembark Form to fill out IT DID NOT OFFER BAGGAGE TO AIRPORT. The remarks or comments stated something about "due to labor disputes".

3. We went to the front desk for clarification twice and finally understood that all HAL was offering is put your suitcases out nite before then find them in customs and go thru Customs. We chose to stay on board late and easily wheeled our luggage off and zipped thru Customs.

4. My flight left FLL at 5:30 which means I could not check in baggage until12:30. However the airport has storage I am told.

5. I booked Rodeway on my phone from ship forgetting plans to see some of the sites in FLL. since we knew we would have luggage to haul around. I hope this helps you all!

Add us to the list of those for whom Luggage Direct service is STILL AVAILABLE - we just signed up online for Luggage Direct service for our January cruise on ms Nieuw Amsterdam. Lesson learned: Don't believe the CC doomsayers who sound the alarm bell before getting the facts straight. So when in doubt, go to the source for reliable info.

Smooth sailing ...

Good Luck it was also available to us on line HOWEVER NOT ONBOARD THE SHIP. Maybe it was a one time thing but something to consider,

I thought you could just sign up on board to have luggage taken to airport.

When I called the luggage service people last week they told me we could sign up for Luggage Direct up to the day we embarked. So it looks like once you board you cannot sign up for this program, it must be done in advance.

After seeing that others had managed to sign up for Luggage Direct for cruises in 2018, I tried again today, and was successful. I tried yesterday and it didn't work, so today is the first day I was able to sign up for our January cruise.

i am very pleased.

I have read all the posts and will try and tell you ONLY what happened to us ...

2. First day we received the Disembark Form to fill out IT DID NOT OFFER BAGGAGE TO AIRPORT. The remarks or comments stated something about "due to labor disputes"...

I hope this helps you all!

This is the first Post (as far as I can see) in which OP clearly indicates that Luggage Direct service was not offered on her/his cruise "due to labor disputes". Interestingly, the Title of OP's initial Post is "HAL no longer takes bags to airport FLL" and not that LD service was not available on her/his cruise "due to labor disputes".

Smooth sailing ...

May I suggest that you call Ship Services on Monday and receive a definitive answer as to whether Luggage Direct is or is not available?

May be best to send an email to Contact Us on the HAL website as have gotten conflicting info from Ship's Services in the past and have never had a conflict in info sent via email.