Traveling with a minor

redhot77

Thanks. I certainly didn't mean to imply that she's no longer a minor at 17. I guess the question should've been more location specific. Is a closed loop cruise out of san juan considered "out of the country'? If an adult doesn't need a passport (proper ID of course) to travel on this particular cruise, would you need permission for a minor? I don't need paperwork to fly to Puerto Rico, so was just curious if the closed loop had the same parameters.

I am divorced from my boys mother and my wife and I are taking them on their first cruise next month. I have 50/50 joint/legal custody and I specifically called Carnival to go over what was required and the rep encouraged me to get a consent letter from their mother, which I did and included some language regarding authorization to consent to medical care etc.. Better safe than sorry and the last place I want to have an issue is when we are boarding. I probably won't need it, but I have just in case.

Exactly! I'm sure you guys will have a great time! What ship?:)

We are breaking them in on the Inspiration right when school ends here here in AZ. This will be a nice warm up for my wife and I, we are going w/out kids in October on the Miracle.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

As a blended family, we also have been asked for paperwork on about half the cruises we've taken our kids and now our grandkids. As an attorney our minimum is passport, custody docs, medical letter of authority. When we travelled with a niece or friend, added letter of permission to remove them from country. Side note: we were on a ship years ago when we hit the rocks and sank. We're on St. Maarten for a few days while transport. People in room beside us did not have any paperwork for their grandson. St. Maarten would not let them remove child from island, his mom had to fly down and get him and STILL had to go before magistrate to release him to her.$$$$$$$$ get the paperwork.

Thanks. I certainly didn't mean to imply that she's no longer a minor at 17. I guess the question should've been more location specific. Is a closed loop cruise out of san juan considered "out of the country'? If an adult doesn't need a passport (proper ID of course) to travel on this particular cruise, would you need permission for a minor? I don't need paperwork to fly to Puerto Rico, so was just curious if the closed loop had the same parameters.

Puerto Rico is a territory of the USA, so an US citizen does not need any special IDs to travel there, but some custody agreements do prevent the passing of state-lines without consent of the other parent. So that part is up to the individual airlines, some may want a consent to travel others may not ask for it, again a toss up you may not want to encounter at the airport check-in window.

Due to the passenger act your cruise must visit at least 1 foreign flagged port so that does qualify the cruise to being out of the country. Even when a child/teen is traveling with only one parent of an intact family the consent to travel/medical release letter is still strongly recommended.

Thanks for the info. I have flown within the US for years without even considering a letter and have never been asked at an airport for anything. I guess that's why it never occurred to me that the cruise would be different.

• 2 weeks later...

My GF is taking her two kiddos with us on our next cruise out of Long Beach. The dad has been out of the picture for the last decade. No contact with him in over 4 years. She has full custody of both. Their last names are different, but the father is on the birth certs which we are using as their ID for the trip. I wonder if we are going to be asked for documents. Starting to worry now

My GF is taking her two kiddos with us on our next cruise out of Long Beach. The dad has been out of the picture for the last decade. No contact with him in over 4 years. She has full custody of both. Their last names are different, but the father is on the birth certs which we are using as their ID for the trip. I wonder if we are going to be asked for documents. Starting to worry now

Does she gave papers that say she has Full Custody and better yet SOLE custody? She should bring those documents. She likely won't need them but have them with her. I'm one of those people who feel if I don't have the paperwork someone will want the darn things! So as long as you have them, no one will want them.

Do make sure what the rules are for the itinerary you are sailing!

We take our two granddaughters on almost every cruise we go on. We have been asked for it more times than not. In Canada they pulled them aside and questioned them. Better safe then not being able to board.

Same thing happened to us last summer

Im traveling with my 7 and 12 year old daughter on the Breeze in July. I just printed out a letter that im going to have my 2 ex's notorize just to play it safe.

I hear they never ask but better safe than sorry.

Absolutely the best course of action! Better safe than sorry.

I saw it is recommended to obtain an original sign authorization from the other parent when sailing with a minor child. I have full custody and he does already have a passport. His step dad and I are traveling with him. Is this going to be a problem?

I did not see a form to have signed by his dad on the web site.

We have to bring our custody papers with us every time we cruise. Granddaughters have cruised 3 different cruise lines and we also have birth certificates. Never a problem. Working on getting their passports.