Why do you email the Maitre'D prior to your cruise?

Maggiebobo

We have booked our first cruise for January and I have been learning so much on these boards, thank you! I saw a post about when to email the Maitre'd prior to your cruise. What do we need to email the Maitre'd for?

Thanks

I emailed one time to ask for a table for 2.

you don't need to

As a matter of fact, they are not obligated to read or follow through with requests made by customer.

Sometimes an e-mail may pass through the corporate filters and a Maitre' D may respond or act upon a request,,, but they are not obligated to.

Those who have dining issues prefer to approach the Maitre D'upon boarding, rather than sending email.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Last cruise, there was DWand I, SIL and husband, and niece and husband. SIL and hubs were a late add, and were wait - listed for early dining with the rest of us. I e-mailed the Dream matre 'de 4 days prior to the cruise requesting a table for all of us at early seating, sent a request to John Heald the same day, and then checked in with the Maitre -De after we boarded. We got our table for 6, and John had champaign, chocolate covered strawberries, and a ship-on-a-stick delivered to our room on cruise elegant night. Doesn't hurt to ask...

Sent from my Galaxy 4

Thank you for the helpful responses. I saw another post about "when" to email the Maitre'd so I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing a step to prepare for our cruise. I can't think of anything we need to change regarding our dining so it looks like were good. Thanks again.

If you have major dietary issues: Allergies, Celiac, etc.. The first place to contact is the Special Needs department at corporate. Just use the main number and request to be transferred to that department.

I always follow up with a visit to the Maitre 'D upon boarding. I have Celiac disease.

An email won't hurt but it is really not needed.

Take care,

Mike

Don't forget once you've got your seat assignment if you really hate it you can ask the maitre d for a change. I've read how many people suffer through their dinner companions for the week or go to the buffet instead of the main dining room specifically so they don't have to sit with the same people. If you're uncomfortable with your fellow guests or unhappy with their attitudes or your spot right by the kitchen exit ask for a change. You are not married to that chair for a week.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Forums mobile app

Getting ready to cruise for our 22nd time in January. Never emailed, spoken to or needed the Maitre D for any reason. The only time I have seen them or the head waiter was when they came by on the last night with their hands out for a tip....:o:eek:

Maybe we have been lucky, or just not very picky....:D:D

I don't have dining issues as someone above posted, but I do email them every cruise. There are favorite tables on all classes, so I ask for that area.

I also give him/her my booking number and the numbers of friends traveling with us as a reassurance of sitting together. Prior to doing this we had a couple of times where they weren't even at the same time.

I tip them after the first night.

Edited by BallFour4

I just had to email regarding our group sailing on 1/8/17 , we have the TA from hell who does not answer the phone, return calls, messages or emails so was forced to email to ensure all of us were at the same table and the same dining time! Never had to do that before because I have NEVER used at TA before and I NEVER EVER will again!!!! I will stick to booking directly with Carnival and handeling everything myself through Carnival! Lesson learned for sure!

I just had to email regarding our group sailing on 1/8/17 , we have the TA from hell who does not answer the phone, return calls, messages or emails so was forced to email to ensure all of us were at the same table and the same dining time! Never had to do that before because I have NEVER used at TA before and I NEVER EVER will again!!!! I will stick to booking directly with Carnival and handeling everything myself through Carnival! Lesson learned for sure!

You're going to want to do it again the week before your cruise. They don't even look at seating assignments that far out. There is also a chance that the MaitreD won't be there at that time if their contract is up and your info will get lost in the shuffle. Always a week before. No sooner.

You should be able to see in your reservations if you all have the same dining time now. Good luck!

We have booked our first cruise for January and I have been learning so much on these boards, thank you! I saw a post about when to email the Maitre'd prior to your cruise. What do we need to email the Maitre'd for?

Thanks

It's not something you HAVE to do. You will automatically get an assignment and will know that assignment when you get your card.

These requests are basically Special requests, which you can make after you board the ship.

First time we did it was to try to switch from late seating to early.

If you are on a 7 day cruise, I would suggest contacting the maitre 'de 4-5 days prior to your cruise. He will be busy with the current cruise until then. Otherwise your request might get lost in the shuffle. ..

Sent from my Galaxy 4

I have never emailed the Maitre'D, before a cruise, but I think I will next time. We are going with 21 in our party, including two who will need high chairs and one with food allergies. Our reservations are linked, but I want to be sure our tables are next to each other. just one less thing to have to take care of upon boarding.

Those who have dining issues prefer to approach the Maitre D'upon boarding, rather than sending email.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Years ago (1980s and 1990s), The Maitre D' would be available on the day you board for re-seating. When greeting him, "Palming" (for lack of a better word) some money into his hand while shaking it almost always resulted in getting whatever table and time I wanted. Does this still occur?

Years ago (1980s and 1990s), The Maitre D' would be available on the day you board for re-seating. When greeting him, "Palming" (for lack of a better word) some money into his hand while shaking it almost always resulted in getting whatever table and time I wanted. Does this still occur?

Indeed. The palming part almost always works.

You are best off talking person to person on the ship, not via email. Imagine how many they must get!

Also, don't be so quick to "palm".;)

I have emailed the Maitre'D a couple of times.

My mother stays in her wheelchair at dinner so I like to remind them that we need a table that is easily accessible. And we prefer a large table so I included that.

We had been on the Pride in July and had a great server; when we returned in August with my brother and his family, I emailed to ask if we could have her as our server again.

Both times we received our request and it was so nice that it was taken care of ahead of time.

Contact Carnival directly - not just the maitre'd. They can link your reservations together so that you will automatically be seated together in the system. You will need their booking #'s and pin #'s to link the reservations. We've done it many times and have never had an issue being seated together automatically.