Viking China

2tsquared

Hi - I totally agree with the last two posters. It is not necessary to dress up for dinner or even for the evenings out. Many people just wore what they had on during the day. This even applied to Thanksgiving Day. Most of the ladies just wore slacks. My husband had one sportcoat (which he had made in Shanghai before we started the trip so he didn't have to pack it going over) and wore it without a tie for the Captain's reception and the final evening, where our group decided to dress in what we had bought in China for the Chinese dinner. One of the guys even had a silk pajama like outfit made and wore that to dinner. That was fun and everyone looked great.

It IS going to be very hot in July so I definitely would recommend capris or longer shorts. For the temples, etc. it is polite to not have short shorts, etc. If you have long pants on, roll up the cuffs before going to the bathroom.

You will have a great time! We do highly recommend that you take an extra day or two before the cruise/tour begins to help with the jetlag. Your first days are really full and you'll be glad to have gotten a bit of rest.

Viking has assigned the Grand Hyatt for us in Shanghai. I have read that this is across the river and one needs a taxi, go through a tunnel to reach the other side of the river. Can anyone tell me whether there is a ferry or bridge crossing near the hotel. In other words an easier way to get to the other side. THANKS ..........................................................

Viking has assigned the Grand Hyatt for us in Shanghai. I have read that this is across the river and one needs a taxi, go through a tunnel to reach the other side of the river. Can anyone tell me whether there is a ferry or bridge crossing near the hotel. In other words an easier way to get to the other side. THANKS ..........................................................

I did a quick google, and it isn't obvious whether there is a pedestrian crossing available. I'd suggest you email the hotel and ask them.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, any one going on the Viking Century sun for the roof of the world trip on Sept, 25, 2009?

Would love to hear about the group! Includes China & Tibet!. We're seniors fron NJ & are really excited about the trip.

For those of you who have traveled or are traveling to China, I would like to recommend a documentary (board moderators, I hope it's ok to this) called UP THE YANGTZEE, about life along the river, how the communities are displaced because of the three Gorges and the lives of the crew. It was fascinating.

Hi Jasl: The Grand Hyatt is in Pudong Shanghai in a landmark building and is stunning. You will enjoy it. You are across the river from the Bund and some of the sites. But it is a very modern area. Do not worry about getting across the river. Taxis are plentiful and a 20-30 minute trip costs about $2-$3 max. The bellmen and valets at the hotel all have hotel business cards that have major sites and directions on them. It is easy to give it to a taxi driver and arrive quickly and safely at your destination. You do not want to walk - it is much too far. We found that the maps look like distances are not far, but they end up being miles! Shanghai is a huge city. Take a taxi - the drivers are wonderful, friendly and honest, in our estimation. It was part of the magic of Shanghai. The trip was one we keep reliving. It was wonderful. Have a great time!

THANK YOU so much JCrandle and Gr8lakes. We will be leaving two weeks from today, received our documents earlier this week. My husband has been reading the literature supplied by Viking and is concerned about luggage restrictions. We will be returning to North America via the Diamond Princess and were planning to take three suitcases. It appears that Viking (or the airlines used by Viking in China) allow one carry-on not exceeding 11 lbs and while there is no restriction on the amount of checked pieces, the total weight allowed for each passenger is only 44.2 pounds. Considering souvenirs and formal wear for the next cruise, this is going to present a problem, unless we are willing to pay the excess baggage fee.

Just wondering what your experience has been about luggage. Many thanks ..............

I apologize if this has been addrssed already, but can anyone who has been on this cruise since the dam opened and the river level is significantly higher report on the gorges. I have heard that nothing is very dramatic anymore since the land does not rise that much higher than the river. Is htis true?

We leave in a 18 days for our China trip and we can hardly wait. Anyone else going on this trip. It would be nice to 'meet' fellow travelers before the trip. We are three "girls" having a BFF trip with out our husbands. All of us are really excited to be going to China. Two of us are from CA and I am from SD. Looks like the weather will be about perfect for the trip. Looking forward to meeting all of you going on this trip.

We were on the trip last year and the trip is rather worthwhile going on. I believe that was the day we saw the hanging coffins and went to lunch up in some mountain (that was interesting....). Boat ride was enjoyable.

We found the scenery to be quite interesting on the Lesser Gorge as well as along the river. Make sure you take a pair of binoculars with you so that you can spot the hanging coffins and also see the monkeys. It was a good trip and we enjoyed the day on the Lesser Gorge.

THANK YOU so much JCrandle and Gr8lakes. We will be leaving two weeks from today, received our documents earlier this week. My husband has been reading the literature supplied by Viking and is concerned about luggage restrictions. We will be returning to North America via the Diamond Princess and were planning to take three suitcases. It appears that Viking (or the airlines used by Viking in China) allow one carry-on not exceeding 11 lbs and while there is no restriction on the amount of checked pieces, the total weight allowed for each passenger is only 44.2 pounds. Considering souvenirs and formal wear for the next cruise, this is going to present a problem, unless we are willing to pay the excess baggage fee.

Just wondering what your experience has been about luggage. Many thanks ..............

While this may have changed in the last couple of years since we were on the cruise, We were not aware of any restrictions that were imposed by the airlines on our cruise group. We had been informed of the same limitations, but our guide told us that the intra-China airlines were rather lenient as regards the weight, and unless a passegers suitcase was far above the weight limit, there would be no problem.

I was on the Viking Century Sky last July. Our group did not find the heat or humidity to be a problem - however, we live in South Louisiana.

I don't think there's any way you would want to walk across that river in Shanghai.

Dress everywhere was as posted earlier - you might change to clean up but not to be more formal.

Our bus had a group of 12-15 people who had been traveling for a month and, so, had a lot of luggage (shopping). Their luggage, apparently, was weighed separately and, our guide told us, they paid the additional fees for it. The rest of us had no problem. If anything was ever weighed, we did not know about it - wonderful Viking service with bags room to room. I will repeat here that one of us had to search out all the cigarette lighters in her checked bag - not allowed. And what you can carry on your person is dependent on who's working that day. I had to throw away individually wrapped hand wipes because the official read the small print and saw that they contained alcohol. Others on the same flight walked on with the same wipes in pocket or purse - it's all the luck of the draw and part of the adventure.

There are many pages of this board - most subjects have been addressed in the past. You can do a search to find more information than you might get now.

About the gorges: Last July, we were told that we were there at an opportune time. The dam had raised the level of the river enough that we were able to go places (on our Mini Gorge tour day) that there would not have been enough water for before. We were also told that, when the dam is fully functional, the water level will be so high that the gorges will not be as breathtaking as they once were. We saw the marks on the sides of the gorges that indicated where the water was expected to rise to, but I don't remember when that will be. I would not skip this trip because the water might be higher. The scenery will be beautiful - even if the Bye-Bye Bridges are gone (those are the bridges that will be under water and no longer needed when the dam is complete). There is so much to be learned about this country that has been separated from the rest of the world for so long, i.e., they are going to sterlize the land that will be flooded before it goes under water to avoid polluting the river. It was a wonderful trip - just enjoy what you see and don't worry about how it was or will be.

Hi on our November China Cultural Delights, peoples' luggage varied from people who had 4 full suitcases to us, who had only one 22" carryon each (we travel very light and pack really well - it's a long story). We had a fold-up small duffel bag each to bring home souvenirs, etc. Silk comforters, etc can be shipped home cheaply, and we did.

However, Viking collected all the luggage together and, since some people had less and some had more, no one was charged extra for baggage during the entire trip. You put your bags out, identify them at the airport, identify them when you arrive at the next airport, and they show up at your hotel or ship door. No problem. Now if you have an extremely full ship with lots of people with lots of bags, that might change. But, Keep all valuables and medicines with you at all times.

Definitely you cannot take liquids onboard the intra-China flights. They were very strict. Anything should be packed in the luggage you check. Going and coming on United into China was the same as traveling domestically.

As for the Gorges section of the cruise. The water level after the dam was to be 175 meters. There are signs intermittently along the way that show that number. On our cruise, the water was to that level. So, there are many cities such as old Fengdu that now are underwater, but you will see the new city. The Gorges therefore are not as spectacular as they were. However, they still are very beautiful and definitely not to be missed. The day we cruised in the 3 small gorges in a smaller boat was wonderful. Some of the hanging coffins and other sites are now underwater, but others remain and are still visible. We did wonder what it had looked liked in person without the water at the level it was. It must have been just breathtaking. They do sell a video at the dam and elsewhere that shows the Gorges before the dam, and after. I suggest you look into buying that.

Enjoy yourselves! We still are dreaming of the trip. It was great!

Hi, any one going on the Viking Century sun for the roof of the world trip on Sept, 25, 2009?

Would love to hear about the group! Includes China & Tibet!. We're seniors fron NJ & are really excited about the trip.

We are not--but, it might be helpful to know how you react to altitude. Evidently, samy people on this itinerary don't handle the altitude well. There are meds that you can use for altitude sickness. They're prescription, so you'll need to see your physician.

We live at about 7500 feet. It's kind of irritation for me when returning to altitude after being at sea level for any amount of time--headaches, mostly. However, there are worse symptoms. Preventing them is better than missing the trip because of sensitivity to the change in altitude, which I've heard can be an issue for some.

We were on the Roof tour in '07. Tibet was the hardest but most interesting part of the trip. They're really not prepared for western tourists, and you rarely saw any in Lhasa outside your group. The food and hotels were the worst of the trip.

As far as the altitude was concerned, you feel it the moment you walk off the plane. It felt like I had two glasses of wine too many. After that, it settled into a dull headache that stayed with me till the day we left. I'm in reasonably good shape, but I'd huff and puff going up stairs. One guy in our group had a real problem--he thought he was going to need to go to the hospital, but he did the oxygen pillow all night. The oldest in the group were in their 70s but I don't think they had any issues different from the rest. Only a couple of people did the meds and they were fine. I had thought about it, but was afraid of a reaction--i.e. more worried about the meds than the altitude.

I was on a Roof of the World tour in Oct. 2008 and did not have any problem with altitude sickness in Tibet aside from a slight dizzy feeling the first afternoon, although a few people in our group did (3 or 4 out of 25). Those people used the oxygen canisters available at our hotel and on the tour bus which helped. A couple of them had a reaction before we even arrived from the altitude sickness drugs they started taking a few days before, so if you are considering the medication ask your doctor about that. The best advice I have is to follow your guide's suggestions and move VERY slowly while in Tibet, and drink twice as much water as usual.

Honestly, when I read about the possible altitude sickness before my trip it scared me a little and I was nervous about going. But luckily I didn't have a problem, even though I am not in particularly great shape and have not spent any time at even moderately high altitudes before. So, please don't let this scare you away from this tour. Tibet was wonderful, and the highlight of the trip for me. It was a cultural experince of a lifetime. Unlike the other poster, I liked the food in Tibet a lot and it was a nice break from the constant Chinese food during the rest of the trip.

Regarding the luggage restrictions.... The flight out of Tibet was the only time where there was actually a real concern about over weight luggage. Apparently Viking does not have the "group luggage weigh in" arrangement in Tibet, so we were each asked to weigh our checked luggage on the hotel bathroom scale the day we left to ensure it was not overweight. People who were close to the limit just put what ever they could in their carry-one luggage, since we were able to carry on what ever we could lift basically (I carried on a 3.5 foot long rolled-up rug I bought in Tibet and a small suitcase with no problem).

You will have a great time on the Roof of the World tour. It met all my expectations, and much more. If you have more questions I would be happy to answer them (I love talking about my trip!)

One more thing about Roof of the World and Tibet. Viking now uses a brand new hotel in Lhasa that is very nice (Sheraton Four Points). I wouldn't call it a luxury hotel, but the room was large and interesting with everything you would need. The hotel restaurant and bar were good as well, with a lovely patio area. It was actually my favorite hotel of the tour, which is saying a lot since we stayed at a Ritz Carlton in Shanghai!

We are considering the Viking Cultural Delights cruise/tour. We've never taken a river cruise before and after reading prior posts, a $10 glass of wine seems excessive. Can anyone tell me the price of a bottle? I found the price of the Silver Beverage package was over $33/pp per day. Is there any restiction to taking a bottle of wine on board to enjoy in your room? After a long day we really like to unwind in the room with a glass of wine. Also, what time is dinner served?

We are considering the Viking Cultural Delights cruise/tour. We've never taken a river cruise before and after reading prior posts, a $10 glass of wine seems excessive. Can anyone tell me the price of a bottle? I found the price of the Silver Beverage package was over $33/pp per day. Is there any restiction to taking a bottle of wine on board to enjoy in your room? After a long day we really like to unwind in the room with a glass of wine. Also, what time is dinner served?

Hi - dinner was at 7.00 pm. We bought the drinks package but can't remember how much it cost :o but it gave us unlimited wine and beer (lager) plus 2 cocktails each per day and soft drinks. We also got a bottle of champagne each and a bum bag each (not sure what they are called in the US). We thought it was a good deal - we also like wine in the room before dinner. You will have a great trip.

Hi - dinner was at 7.00 pm. We bought the drinks package but can't remember how much it cost :o but it gave us unlimited wine and beer (lager) plus 2 cocktails each per day and soft drinks. We also got a bottle of champagne each and a bum bag each (not sure what they are called in the US). We thought it was a good deal - we also like wine in the room before dinner. You will have a great trip.

You might be offended by what we call a bum bag, as Shaw pointed out that we are separated by a common language. We call it a fanny pack. Hope that didn't shock you too much!

We did the "Cultural Delights" in Nov 2007. VR had just started the beverage package.

We decided that the package was not of us. We just bought a bottle of wine at dinner. We usually drink 1 bottle over 2 nights. The wine steward would store the bottle and place on our table the next night. There was a good selection of wines on the wine menu.

Avoid the Chinese wine. The Chinese beer was good. During the day when we were on tour, VR arranged for us to have lunch while away from the vessel. A bottle of beer was always one of the included beverage offerring at lunch. The Chinese beer was good.

It's a great trip.

MSem

You might be offended by what we call a bum bag, as Shaw pointed out that we are separated by a common language. We call it a fanny pack. Hope that didn't shock you too much!

Not shocked!;) I remember now I have heard it before.

Archived