Viking China

2tsquared

No, no computer with me and glad I didn't. Really, no time except on the ship and they have (very poor, very expensive) internet on the boat. Phone service was almost impossible for me. I'd text the family and let them know I was alive and kicking. Worked fine for me.

Everyone who needed it, had the 800# for Viking if they really needed to get ahold of me.

I own a business and must keep in contact somewhat, and have a 93 year old father in Nursing home and mother in law in assisted living. We probably couldn't get back early if emergency, but we could try.

Great to know another CC'er will be on our trip!

My mom and a friend are going also (in their 60s).

Looking forward to meeting you all. :)

I was talking to a Viking rep the other day and was told our ship is fully booked. I was wondering if the final trips of the year didn't get as many guests. I think one I read about from last November only had 18 passengers. The more the merrier probably holds true - a full ship vs. only a few people rattling around seems like it would be more fun.

Great to know another CC'er will be on our trip!

My mom and a friend are going also (in their 60s).

Looking forward to meeting you all. :)

I was talking to a Viking rep the other day and was told our ship is fully booked. I was wondering if the final trips of the year didn't get as many guests. I think one I read about from last November only had 18 passengers. The more the merrier probably holds true - a full ship vs. only a few people rattling around seems like it would be more fun.

We are on the Sept 29th trip. We leave Chicago on Sept 28th. I think ours is full (maybe not ship but tour) , because a friend tried to book same date and was told it was unavailable!

I understand a lot of people on riverboat are doing the 11 day and we just join them midway!

When you are the dining room make sure you get a table close to the door. Not as noisy as further in. I know this advice was given much earlier in this discussion, but you have to read a lot of pages to find it.

I can second that advice! We almost always sat at the first table on the left by the windows when you go in the door, but once had to go more toward the center of the dining room. Huge difference!

We have ATT cell service with a Razor (Quad Bank) phone.

Everywhere we traveled in China our cell phone worked. There is great cell service coverage in China. We signed up for the WORLD TRAVELER (Not International) serivce so that we could make and receive calls in China and Hong Kong.

International service allows you to MAKE calls from the USA to other countries, but does not allow you to receive and make call in another country.

MSEm

World Traveler only changes the rate you pay/minute for international calls made from the countries on the list provided on the AT&T website. The International service changes the rate you pay to make calls internationally from the US. Neigher has anything to do with the phone's ability to call from international countries. That's what the quad bands in the phone are for.

I traveled to Panama a couple of years ago with a SAMSUNG quad band phone and was assured by ATT that my phone would work in Panama. It did not. I still have ATT with a newer SAMSUNG quad band phone. They've assured my that my phone will work in China, but offered to unlock it before I go so that I can put in a Chinese SIM card. I think I'll just see if it works. The phone may not work with the ATT SIM card if it is unlocked.

You can get a phone from China before your trip. I think it costs about $100/week. Or you can buy a phone in China--pretty inexpensive, I understand and with good cell coverage. I'm not sure how you'd tell your family what the number is. Wonder if they use Arabic numerals on their phones? I'd guess not.

I'm just going to take my phone and pay the going rate for minutes. It's for emergencies only when I'm out the country.

Lani

We have a QUAD BAND cell phone and with ATT WORLDWDE it has worked everywhere we have traveled overseas. China, Russia, Europe, Mexico, the Caribbean Islands.

You MUST be signed up for the WORLDTRAVELER program to receive and make calls while you are out of the country. We have helped several ATT customers with a Quad Band phone and the International plan while overseas. We have called the ATT customer service and had the people talk to ATT and have their phone set up for WORLDTRAVELER. After getting the WORLDTRAVELER (not International) their phone also worked.

Your unlocked phone will work with the ATT Sims card. We have our phones unlocked. On an extended (5 weeks) stay in Germany we purchased a Sims card in Germany and put it in 1 phone. We gave our family the German sims card phone number. We could receive calls on the phone at no charge. The card cost of 20 - 25 Euros.

I have called family in the USA while on the Li River in China and also while between stations on the subway in Budapest.

Hope this helps.

MSEm

We have a QUAD BAND cell phone and with ATT WORLDWDE it has worked everywhere we have traveled overseas. China, Russia, Europe, Mexico, the Caribbean Islands.

You MUST be signed up for the WORLDTRAVELER program to receive and make calls while you are out of the country. We have helped several ATT customers with a Quad Band phone and the International plan while overseas. We have called the ATT customer service and had the people talk to ATT and have their phone set up for WORLDTRAVELER. After getting the WORLDTRAVELER (not International) their phone also worked.

Your unlocked phone will work with the ATT Sims card. We have our phones unlocked. On an extended (5 weeks) stay in Germany we purchased a Sims card in Germany and put it in 1 phone. We gave our family the German sims card phone number. We could receive calls on the phone at no charge. The card cost of 20 - 25 Euros.

I have called family in the USA while on the Li River in China and also while between stations on the subway in Budapest.

Hope this helps.

MSEm

At&T world traveler is NOT a great discount:

Roaming:

Calls Placed/Received

While in China AT&T Standard International Roaming $2.29 AT&T World Traveler $1.99 AT&T Canada $2.29 AT&T Mexico $2.29 Data Usage: All GPRS pay per use rates are $.0195/KB, except in Canada rate is $.015/KB Text, Picture and

Video Messages: Send Text Message $0.50 per message sent Send Picture and Video Messages $1.30 per message sent Receive Text, Picture and Video Messages Home pay-per-use or package rates apply to all text, picture or video messages received when roaming internationally. Please visit www.att.com for details.

I hope to be able to use Skype to make FREE calls using wifi and iPass.com

and be able to pick up emails also!

Hey, that's great. We'll have to figure out how to find each other on the ship! We're in cabin 447. We look forward to meeting you!! We did a Vikings cruise in Russia last year, and it was fabulous--really looking forward to this trip too.

dennyls--

Glad to hear from prior Viking customers that they are back for more. Always a good sign! I know not to compare this ship to Celebrity's - I'm curious to see just how different it is.

If Viking wows us on this trip I hope to do Russia with them soon. We'll have to get your take on the cruise there.

You MUST be signed up for the WORLDTRAVELER program to receive and make calls while you are out of the country.

According to the two International Department folks I talked with, you do not have to be signed up with the World Traveler Program to make and receive calls. The World Traveler program discounts the cost for your minutes by about 30 cents/minute. It's not a great discount. I won't be making calls--just receiving emergency calls.

I'll call AT&T again.

According to the two International Department folks I talked with, you do not have to be signed up with the World Traveler Program to make and receive calls. The World Traveler program discounts the cost for your minutes by about 30 cents/minute. It's not a great discount. I won't be making calls--just receiving emergency calls.

I'll call AT&T again.

If you have a unlocked 900 MHZ phone, you can use a company like Telestial

calculator.gifInternational Calls

All international outgoing calls using your China SIM card and cell phone with the exception of Taiwan are charged at a flat per minute rate with your China SIM card. All international incoming calls are charged at a flat of $0.19 USD per minute regardless of where a call originates.

Call Type Airtime Rate All incoming Calls YUAN 1.19 ($0.17 USD)

per minute Calls to Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan YUAN 2.8 ($0.35 USD)

per minute International with Direct Dial* YUAN 8.8 ($1.10 USD)

per minute International with IP 17951** YUAN 5.4 ($0.67 USD)

per minute

I have used a quad band phone I bought from them 7 years ago and add card for international travel.

It is cheaper than using my iphone, if I can't get free wifi and use Skype!

I agree, you do not need to sign up with ATT WorldTraveler to make to and receive calls from another country while in the USA. You do need WorldTravler if you want to make and receive calls with your phone when your phone is NOT in the USA.

I have found that many of the people I talked with at ATT do not even know their is a WORLDTRAVELER or that WORLDTRAVELER is not the same as international calling.

For me is it much cheaper to pay the WorldTaveler fee for 1 or 2 months for the few calls I make or receive. With the WorldTraveler fee and the fee calls I make and receive while overseas, my charge is usually less than $20 for 3 to 4 weeks.

If I know I will need to make a lot or receive a lot of callis, I purchase a SIMS and put in my phone. I call back and give the "new phone number" Calls received on your cell phone in Europe does not cost you as in the USA.

If you can make and receive calls whlie in Europe or Asia without the WorldTraveler, please let us know.

MSEm

You do need WorldTravler if you want to make and receive calls with your phone when your phone is NOT in the USA.

MSEm

According to AT&T--this is only a rate plan, not a requirement to call when out of the US. When I went to Panama, I was enabled to call from the US, but my phone was not enabled for international roaming. Therefore, I couldn't make phone calls.

Your phone has to be enabled for international roaming. Then, if you want to take advantage of lower rates, you can use the WorldTraveler plan. At least according to an international customer service rep. She might be wrong, as the woman was whith whom I spoke when I went to Panama. I'm leaving in two weeks. So this has to be sorted out pronto.

This is from ATT web site:

Note WORLDTRAVELER is While traveling in

Worldconnect is Dailto internationally

VOICE PACKAGES

International Traveling

AT&T World Traveler $5.99 per month

Take your service with you as you travel the world to over 200 countries. With AT&T World Traveler, get discounted roaming rates in over 85 of those countries. Call 1-800-331-0500 to sign up now.

Compare with standard rates.

International Calling

AT&T World Connect $3.99 per month

AT&T makes wireless a great way to dial internationally to over 220 countries at discounted rates. Call 1-800-331-0500 to sign up now.

AT&T World Connect Rates

Both my husband and I have ATT Quad Bands phones. On a trip to Budapest, my phone was correctly set up for WorldTraveler. My Husband's phone (which is unlocked) was not set up for WorldTraveler. My phone worked. We called the ATT international help number on my phone. His phone had not been set up for WOLRDTRAVELER and he could not call ATT while we were in Budapest. BELOW is from the ATT WEB SITE

[Contact International Customer Care

* Call 1-800-331-0500 to verify international roaming service is activated (or you may request it blocked)

* Troubleshooting: 1-800-335-4685 or, when calling from overseas, you may call free of charge from your mobile phone: +1-916-843-4685 ( +1 may also be 11).] We had to use my phone to call ATT and get his phone on the Worldtraveler plan.

Ask the person you talk to, "What is the differenct between WORLDTRAVELER and WORLDCONNECT?"

I want to use my cell phone be able to make and receive while I am in XXXXX country.

The above statement does imply that you only need to have the international roaming activated I have always have the WORLETRAVELER add for the time I am traveling. I remove the feature when I see all of the calls have been posted on my bill.

I also call 3 or 4 days before I leave to have the WORLDTRAVELER added to my cell. After about 24 hours I go on line to make sure the WORLDTRAVELER plan is shown as a feature of my phone.

Good Luck.

If you only have to have international roaming activated with on change in rate plan and your phone works, please let us know when you return.

Have a great trip.

MSEm

I guess since all excursions are all inclusive not much interest in board, unlike ocean cruisers needing to plan for each excursion and saving money.

We on Imperial Jewels tour starting September 29, 2009 from Beijing. We fly over North Pole from Chicago. We are waiting for Visas now!

I started a roll call for my date, but no takers. Ps my email is romeosc@gmail.com

By the time you get there, my wife will have bought everything!

My husband and I will be on the Imperial Jewels tour on September 29, 2009. We have never been on a cruise before and are looking forward to seeing some of China with Viking. I'm very concerned about the crowds in Beijing and elsewhere for the National Day celebrations Oct 1-3; especially since they'll be bigger than ever this year with the 60th anniversary celebration. I hope we get to see all the highlights we were promised. Does anyone have any insight on this?

My husband and I will be on the Imperial Jewels tour on September 29, 2009. We have never been on a cruise before and are looking forward to seeing some of China with Viking. I'm very concerned about the crowds in Beijing and elsewhere for the National Day celebrations Oct 1-3; especially since they'll be bigger than ever this year with the 60th anniversary celebration. I hope we get to see all the highlights we were promised. Does anyone have any insight on this?

Where exactly will you be--in Beijing itself? We were in China last year over the National Day celebrations, but hadn't yet gotten to Beijing because we started out in Shanghai. We didn't have any major problems. BUT, our guide said that Tiananmen Square was packed for the national holiday. I'm sure Viking will do its best to get you to all the highlights. It was a wonderful trip!

I've read past posts that it was really crowded. Bejing, China in itself is really crowded with all those people. Your guides will do the best they can, just take a good attitude! One thing you will appreciate after your China trip is your personal space. If you have any questions, you can email me (was there a year ago with Viking). dpump@aol.com

I've read past posts that it was really crowded. Bejing, China in itself is really crowded with all those people. Your guides will do the best they can, just take a good attitude! One thing you will appreciate after your China trip is your personal space. If you have any questions, you can email me (was there a year ago with Viking). dpump@aol.com

We are going now (Sept 29th) since I read next year is the China Expo and they are expecting an ADDITIONAL 60 million tourists! We tried to go 3 years ago with some friends, before Dam was completed, but were unable to arrange our schedules. We have been on many ocean cruises over the years, but this is our 1st river cruise. We are looking forward to not making plans about excursions, but we do like some freedom of choice. We were in Egypt last year with some people who wanted NO shopping. We love to experience the flavor of the countries, but also want to bring a piece back with us for friends and family!

This board has been very helpful. Wife is nervous since I am out of town on work and won't be home until a few days before we leave for China.

Ps I now know that at least 6 people are on our cruise. (Wife & I from Memphis)(1 couple from Cottonwood AZ) (& now 1 couple from Seattle)

Where exactly will you be--in Beijing itself? We were in China last year over the National Day celebrations, but hadn't yet gotten to Beijing because we started out in Shanghai. We didn't have any major problems. BUT, our guide said that Tiananmen Square was packed for the national holiday. I'm sure Viking will do its best to get you to all the highlights. It was a wonderful trip!

Yes, we'll be in Beijing and are looking forward to seeing the sites, but now I'm a little concerned that we'll be rushed through. I read a couple of posts from people who were in Beijing last yr during Nati'l Day and they had some terrible tales. I know it'll be crowded, but I'm concerned it will be so overwhelminly crowded that we won't see much. Kind of wish we'd known and picked a later date to travel.

I'm sure you're right about enjoying my personal space. I guess the lack of personal space is just one of the things that goes along with China. Oh well, isn't that why we all travel--to experience new things? I know it'll be a grea trip!

My wife and I just returned from China after completing the Viking Cultural tour on the Century Sun. It was wonderful. Sure the cities were packed with lots and lots of people, after all it was China where one in five people of the world live. But for most of this 17 day tour you will be on a very well appointed cruise ship with 300 or so guests or shuttled about in groups of 30 on comfortable buses to see the various sights. Not to be missed. Relax it will prove to be an adventure of a lifetime and one you will truly enjoy.

Archived