Viking China

2tsquared

Anyone get a suit or use a tailor for a suit in Shanghai or Beijing, and if so, any suggestions are great. Leaving on Thursday for the Roof of the World--no word that Tibet has been canceled and I hope not since that is the place I most want to see as well.

For anyone staying at the Westin Bund, a woman who I work with was there a few months ago--said it was a great hotel and very well situated near the Bund and great shopping. she gave me a map. In any event, she said if there on a Sunday to "not miss" the buffet. She said it is a little pricey but well worth it for food (you can spend a lot of time there, there are acrobats, etc., and people watching is fabulous).

Has anyone used the on ship tailor to have a suit or dress made? Was it a good experience? Was it a good value?

Thanks

They made me a pair of shoes with that extra toe only on the left foot did a great job! Check out reply 3110 for info! Smiles:):)

We just got back last night from a great trip to China. All should be thrilled that you're going on Viking. It is the most respected tour in China and while everyone else had to walk quite a way back to their tour buses, Viking cruisers were picked up and dropped off right at the gates and entrances. No extra walking. It was amazing.

The hotels were 5 star and fabulous. The Westin is in a great location. It's on the "old" China side and it's great. We stayed on that side a few days before the tour and moved to the Shangri-La on the other side of the river for the tour. It was a gorgeous hotel but much more in a financial district. Viking hotels were all phenomenal and breakfast was included and fabulous.

It amazed us, the prices of this tour, given how much the hotels and food alone would have cost if not on the tour. It's very impressive.

Try and see the silk factory in Shanghai that sells the silk blankets. Viking took us to the silk embroidery factory and that wasn't as fun. If you have a day or two on your own, look at Tripadvisor and do the all day shopping tour with Sue and Emily. It was a perfect intro to haggling, finding good stuff and avoiding all the fake stuff. Shanghai is much more international and there aren't as many "hawkers" around.

We took the Maglev to the station, from the airport and that was fast and easy. Then a taxi to the hotel. Traffic in Shanghai is horrific, Beijing as well. Make sure to have the hotel name written in Chinese as the drivers do not speak English.

We did not need any money. We got a bit at the airport, for the cab then found a bank and you can withdraw almost limitless amounts of RMBs. We did not need the 1. bills that others recommended so I'm not sure what they were used for.

There were 145 of us divided into 5 buses and all the people were great. The tour guides were perfect. We had Shenshen and considered ourselves very lucky. She was wonderful. Each city had it's own guide as well and they were all top notch.

The ship was terrific and there was 1 staff to each person. The food, service, everything, was terrific. The top lounge was great for indoor and outdoor viewing. All food was wonderful and they were all very aware of making sure it was food that Americans would like. We had been told to bring food with us, but we never needed it. I do recommend a Pepto Bismol tab every day to keep away the stomache stuff. About 4 pp in our group got it but it was fast acting. 1 cold was all.

Going through the damn was a highlight as were the panda bears in Chongquing, the Terra Cotta Army, the Viking School was amazing. Bring plenty of toilet paper. That's a real issue. If you stay close to a handicapped stall, you can find a western style toilet. otherwise it's squat. People are incredibly pushy in the bathroom so hold your ground.

The crowds there are amazing and huge and non stop. Personal space is not something they can relate to. But if you smile at people, they will smile right back. That was great.

Buy tea in Yu Garden, the store with the huge teapot outside. Bargain though. Bargain with everyone everywhere. Get good at it. In Beijing you will be accosted by hawkers ALL the time. Just shake your head and your hand and keep moving. They are relentless. In all the other towns as well but not Shanghai.

This was a great trip and Viking did an amazing job. AS I said they are the most respected group and everything went off without a hitch, including all 4 intra-China flights.

You will love this tour! It was warm on the Yangtzee but we were glad we had our winter coats, hats and gloves in Beijing - and Shanghai but only at night.

If you have any questions, I'm happy to answer.

Leslie

Enjoy. And don't forget the special shoes.

Will do. Thanks Car:)

We just got back last night from a great trip to China. All should be thrilled that you're going on Viking. It is the most respected tour in China and while everyone else had to walk quite a way back to their tour buses, Viking cruisers were picked up and dropped off right at the gates and entrances. No extra walking. It was amazing.

The hotels were 5 star and fabulous. The Westin is in a great location. It's on the "old" China side and it's great. We stayed on that side a few days before the tour and moved to the Shangri-La on the other side of the river for the tour. It was a gorgeous hotel but much more in a financial district. Viking hotels were all phenomenal and breakfast was included and fabulous.

It amazed us, the prices of this tour, given how much the hotels and food alone would have cost if not on the tour. It's very impressive.

Try and see the silk factory in Shanghai that sells the silk blankets. Viking took us to the silk embroidery factory and that wasn't as fun. If you have a day or two on your own, look at Tripadvisor and do the all day shopping tour with Sue and Emily. It was a perfect intro to haggling, finding good stuff and avoiding all the fake stuff. Shanghai is much more international and there aren't as many "hawkers" around.

We took the Maglev to the station, from the airport and that was fast and easy. Then a taxi to the hotel. Traffic in Shanghai is horrific, Beijing as well. Make sure to have the hotel name written in Chinese as the drivers do not speak English.

We did not need any money. We got a bit at the airport, for the cab then found a bank and you can withdraw almost limitless amounts of RMBs. We did not need the 1. bills that others recommended so I'm not sure what they were used for.

There were 145 of us divided into 5 buses and all the people were great. The tour guides were perfect. We had Shenshen and considered ourselves very lucky. She was wonderful. Each city had it's own guide as well and they were all top notch.

The ship was terrific and there was 1 staff to each person. The food, service, everything, was terrific. The top lounge was great for indoor and outdoor viewing. All food was wonderful and they were all very aware of making sure it was food that Americans would like. We had been told to bring food with us, but we never needed it. I do recommend a Pepto Bismol tab every day to keep away the stomache stuff. About 4 pp in our group got it but it was fast acting. 1 cold was all.

Going through the damn was a highlight as were the panda bears in Chongquing, the Terra Cotta Army, the Viking School was amazing. Bring plenty of toilet paper. That's a real issue. If you stay close to a handicapped stall, you can find a western style toilet. otherwise it's squat. People are incredibly pushy in the bathroom so hold your ground.

The crowds there are amazing and huge and non stop. Personal space is not something they can relate to. But if you smile at people, they will smile right back. That was great.

Buy tea in Yu Garden, the store with the huge teapot outside. Bargain though. Bargain with everyone everywhere. Get good at it. In Beijing you will be accosted by hawkers ALL the time. Just shake your head and your hand and keep moving. They are relentless. In all the other towns as well but not Shanghai.

This was a great trip and Viking did an amazing job. AS I said they are the most respected group and everything went off without a hitch, including all 4 intra-China flights.

You will love this tour! It was warm on the Yangtzee but we were glad we had our winter coats, hats and gloves in Beijing - and Shanghai but only at night.

Leslie

Thanks a very dumb question for now is this how was the view from your room

at the Westin we are staying there also an I love to see great views at night if possible and what floor were you on?

Thanks agaim:)

At the Westin the view is not so important. It's in the crowded area but obviously, anywhere, the higher the better. At the Shangri-La they gave us a free update so we had a river view. That's the view you want there.

As for tipping, we did about 20-30yuan for the city guide and about 10-20 for the driver. Remember, the yuan or RMB is nothing next to the dollar. 100 RMBs is 15. so it's much less. We did tip the Viking guide a bit more than the recommended just because they do sooo much and are so wonderful. You are their life to 2 weeks. Everything you need, including medical help, is available to you. We did find that most restaurants etc. already had the tips included, so tipping has caught on. On the ship you put one full tip in an envelope and they divide it amongst the staff. If there's someone you love who has gone over and above, you can tip them separately. These people all aimed to please and did a great job.

At the school, we gave the things to the teacher and he distributed it. This was a great take. Then on the way out there was a donation box. 64 kids to a classroom.

At the Westin the view is not so important. It's in the crowded area but obviously, anywhere, the higher the better. At the Shangri-La they gave us a free update so we had a river view. That's the view you want there.

I'll make a call

a highlight as were the panda bears in Chongquing,

Glad you had such a great time.

Did you visit the pandas after getting off the ship on the way to the airport?

How was pollution? In Shanghai, Beijing, elsewhere?

Thanks

Yes, we got off the ship in Chongquing and then headed right for the zoo with the pandas. Then we went to the airport and flew to Xian.

As for the pollution, it's hard to say. Shanghai was ok but we did have a few sunny days in Beijing, but the last few were terrible. It's hard to say if it was fog or pollution, but it seems pollution was it. There are a trillion cars and no emission controls and when you travel in Xian you'll see huge coal burning factories.

Glad you had such a great time.

Did you visit the pandas after getting off the ship on the way to the airport?

How was pollution? In Shanghai, Beijing, elsewhere?

Thanks

Try and see the silk factory in Shanghai that sells the silk blankets. Viking took us to the silk embroidery factory and that wasn't as fun.

Leslie

We leave on Imperial Jewels (Shanghai to Beijing direction) in 5 days, so was very excited to read your post.

Do you know the name of the silk factory? I'd love to get a silk duvet. We are only there for the tour, so don't know if we'll have time to venture out to the factory on our own.

Also, how warm was it on the cruise? We've been watching the weather, but it's always great to hear first hand. Also, there's been a fair amount of rain in the forecasts we've been watching ... does it tend to be a hard rain? (I'm still trying to nail down what clothes to bring).

Thank you and so glad to hear that you had a wonderful time!:D

Archived