Viking China

2tsquared

I believe the silk place was called the Tian Kou Silk Company. If you're just there for the cruise time I'm not sure you'll have time to get there. Viking brings you to a silk embroidery place but your time is really spoken for. They are 19 layers of silk and the price was ridiculously low.

In Shanghai it was in the upper 50s low 60s during the day but we needed winter coats at night. The rest of the country was warmer and a fleece was fine. The AC on the ship was not working so it was very warm on the ship and we wore short sleeves. I'd say outside it was mostly low 60s. In Beijing it was cold. We all needed winter coats, hats, scarves and gloves. It is much colder and windier there. We had a sunny day or two but then the last 2 days were very foggy - or was it smoggy? Definitely travel light. It's great touring weather because it's not hot now. Sorry, but July will be sooo hot. Go naked! Between the sun, heat and the crowds, you'll be warm in July. So this is a good time to go.

Doing Shanghai first is a great thing because it's much less strenuous and you can work through your jet lag easier. Beijing we walked about 4-6 miles a day and the Great Wall was freezing winter cold. There was ice and some snow there. It's pretty treacherous and very few in the group made it up a good distance. But just being there and on it was amazing.

You'll have a great time. We had Shanshan as a guide and she was terrific. Anything else you want to know? happy to respond!

We leave on Imperial Jewels (Shanghai to Beijing direction) in 5 days, so was very excited to read your post.

Do you know the name of the silk factory? I'd love to get a silk duvet. We are only there for the tour, so don't know if we'll have time to venture out to the factory on our own.

Also, how warm was it on the cruise? We've been watching the weather, but it's always great to hear first hand. Also, there's been a fair amount of rain in the forecasts we've been watching ... does it tend to be a hard rain? (I'm still trying to nail down what clothes to bring).

Thank you and so glad to hear that you had a wonderful time!:D

Oh I forgot - the rain. I think it's often rainy there. The ship will provide ponchos but if you just even bring your own poncho you'll be fine. It wasn't a hard rain and we didn't use our umbrellas but we did need rain gear.

Viking is incredibly well respected in china and we were all treated as VIPs everywhere we went. It was impressive.

We leave on Imperial Jewels (Shanghai to Beijing direction) in 5 days, so was very excited to read your post.

Do you know the name of the silk factory? I'd love to get a silk duvet. We are only there for the tour, so don't know if we'll have time to venture out to the factory on our own.

Also, how warm was it on the cruise? We've been watching the weather, but it's always great to hear first hand. Also, there's been a fair amount of rain in the forecasts we've been watching ... does it tend to be a hard rain? (I'm still trying to nail down what clothes to bring).

Thank you and so glad to hear that you had a wonderful time!:D

Many many women on the ship had jackets made. Most were thrilled, some were not. I had a silk poncho made and they copied one I already had and did a nice job. They worked day and night.

Any idea on the pricing for this?

:) OK six days to go for China’s Cultural Delights and Hong Kong what are the must sees, must do’s. No opera’s for us. Food for thought please and I do love noddels.:)

I have seen many different opinions on the Peking Duck dinner and the Tang dynasty show--any general consensus whether it is worth it or not? Shanghai is my shopping mecca and don't want to lose out on that--have many tips from here and from people who have gone. We first go to Shanghai. In any event, thumbs up or down on two dinners/shows? I do love Peking Duck but if it is nothing like what we get here in the US I am not sure it is worth it. Most have said the acrobat show in Shanghai was worth it. Thanks.

I do love Peking Duck but if it is nothing like what we get here in the US I am not sure it is worth it.

Yes, but different isn't always a bad thing. If you like duck, then maybe it is worth trying in the country that is know for the dish--and eating it the way that it is meant to be served and not in the Americanized version.

What type of cost is associated with these two dinners?

The Xian dinner is 490RMB and the Duck/Opera is 390RMB.

It will be billed to us as RMB and the equivalent in dollars will depend on the exchange rate in effect the day it is converted to $$, which is not necessarily the day it is posted to our accounts.

It will be billed to us as RMB and the equivalent in dollars will depend on the exchange rate in effect the day it is converted to $$, which is not necessarily the day it is posted to our accounts.

So the dinner & opera are on our itinerary but it is optional and there is an additional cost to do them? If you choose not to participate you just have free time to do what you wish and dinner would be on your own those nights or would there be dinner provided as part of our tour package at the hotel? Just needing clarification. Thanks.

Cathy

Don't miss the Xi'an dinner. That is an incredible show. If you see that before you go to Beijing, you will be disappointed as the Beijing show is not as good as the Xi'an show. The Beijing duck was not worth the night, I think if I had to do it again, I would have gone shopping instead. The other sites were well worth the visit.

What type of cost is associated with these two dinners?

This may help with currency conversion.

Universal Currency Converter

You can take a roll from the hotel. I just chose to get some small roles from Magellan or Travelsmith or somewhere like that and they were wasy to carry. But however you do it, just bring it with you at all times.

Not available from the hotels and on the ship? Why bring from home?

So the dinner & opera are on our itinerary but it is optional and there is an additional cost to do them? If you choose not to participate you just have free time to do what you wish and dinner would be on your own those nights or would there be dinner provided as part of our tour package at the hotel? Just needing clarification. Thanks.

Cathy

Right' date=' those two items are optional and cost extra.

Since the itinerary says that dinner is provided on both of those nights, I am going to presume that there is a plan in place for those who don't go to the optional shows.[/color']

I agree with this. The Xian show is wonderful. And yes, if you don't do these shows, dinner at the hotel is included in your tour. If you want to go out on your own, it's on you. Viking thinks of everything!

Don't miss the Xi'an dinner. That is an incredible show. If you see that before you go to Beijing, you will be disappointed as the Beijing show is not as good as the Xi'an show. The Beijing duck was not worth the night, I think if I had to do it again, I would have gone shopping instead. The other sites were well worth the visit.

Will our big pieces of luggage travel with us from Beijing to Xian and then onto the boat? Will we have to pack a small bag for internal China travel?

leaving on Sunday and very excited.

Archived