If you cruise and want cellular connectivity in every port, get a Google Fi Phone

reedl

I got a google Fi phone about 9 months ago since I go to Canada every few months. The good thing is that they have roaming agreements in over 140 countries which allows the use of the phone with $10 a gig for data in pretty much every port. On my recent Serenade Repo cruise from Boston to Port Everglades through St. Thomas, St. Martin, St. Lucia, Curacao, and Aruba, the phone (Nexus 5X) worked perfectly as an access point for my other phones. I never made a call on the phone.

Also when we were travelling back from Aruba by Cuba, the phone actually connected to Cuba's Cell towers which allowed me to surf the net for about an hour for $10 a gig.

When you are on the ship, you can leave the phone on since it will not connect to the ship's towers so you do not have to worry about vampire data costing you a lot of money.

The plan is $20 for unlimited voice in the US, and Voice is pretty much always 20 cents a minute outside the US, but we use our other phone as a WiFi phone to the Google Fi phone.

I know there are people who want to disconnect when travelling, but I like to be connected. This is a cool service.

I got a google Fi phone about 9 months ago since I go to Canada every few months. The good thing is that they have roaming agreements in over 140 countries which allows the use of the phone with $10 a gig for data in pretty much every port. On my recent Serenade Repo cruise from Boston to Port Everglades through St. Thomas, St. Martin, St. Lucia, Curacao, and Aruba, the phone (Nexus 5X) worked perfectly as an access point for my other phones. I never made a call on the phone.

Also when we were travelling back from Aruba by Cuba, the phone actually connected to Cuba's Cell towers which allowed me to surf the net for about an hour for $10 a gig.

When you are on the ship, you can leave the phone on since it will not connect to the ship's towers so you do not have to worry about vampire data costing you a lot of money.

The plan is $20 for unlimited voice in the US, and Voice is pretty much always 20 cents a minute outside the US, but we use our other phone as a WiFi phone to the Google Fi phone.

I know there are people who want to disconnect when travelling, but I like to be connected. This is a cool service.

Ty for the tip! Will check that out.

The other real cool feature is that you can get 'data SIMS' for free which use the same bucket of data from Fi ($10 a gig) that work on devices like iPad Air 2, etc. This allows you to use your Cellular devices outside the US for the same $10 a Gig.

Verizon has a $10 per day option which allows you to use your existing plan (our is unlimited voice & text, 20GB data). Not excessively cheap, but it works great and at $10 a day it's not too bad. They have other options as well.

Edited by lv2bcruzin