On Grandeur now

mra9955

We cruise about the same time each year. Last year, when we disembarked Grandeur, they were expecting more than 800 kids. :eek:

Grandeur is a smaller ship without all the bells and whistles to entertain. And if the weather is not great, they can't be outside at the pool deck, so where else can they be?

My pet peeve is Park Avenue taking over prime inside real estate for their auctions, when the weather isn't good.

Hi! I'm sailing out of Baltimore for the first time this December on a Christmas/ NYE cruise. This will be my 11th cruise but anytime I have sailed in the winter, it has been from Florida where the weather is superb. I was wondering if you can tell me how many of the sea days will be cold? My cruise is 12 nights and the first 4 days are sea days. I'm really hoping by the 2nd/3rd day that I will be able to sit in the sun. Thanks so much :)

The weather should be warm on that 12 night sailing by the afternoon of the second sea day. It was so for our two Anthem sailings out of Bayonne last January and March.

It's only 3 not 4 sea days down to St. Thomas on that 12 night Xmas sailing so by then you should be half way to that port or east of southern Florida and the Bahamas. ;)

Edited by robtulipe

We were on the Grandeur out of Baltimore December 14th three years ago. It was sleeting as we made our way out of the Chesapeake. The seas were rather rough all the way down to the Caribbean (I loved it, but not everybody fared as well). As for pool deck weather, that first full day at sea saw temperatures in the 70s by mid-afternoon.

Here's a novel thought....Maybe the parents should take responsibility for their kids and not permit them to run up and down the halls.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Forums mobile app

One would think.....

I've never seen anything quite like the pathetic display of parenting of the majority of children on Grandeur last week. I weep for the future.

Edited by VASOXFANN

Are you really surprised, being it's the US Thanksgiving week, that the ship is packed and there are lots of children onboard. At least you have a roomy suite both you and your family members can hang out in.

This would be the last week of the year we would cruise out of a US port, especially a northern one, both cost and crowd wise. ;)

Most schools, at least the ones around here, don't have the entire week off for Thanksgiving, and taking a cruise isn't an appropriate excuse for a school absence. Did I expect there to be some kids whose lame parents would take them out of school for a cruise? Sure. Did I expect the ship to be beseiged by mobs of unruly brats? Not so much.

When I was teaching and my own kids were in school, we only cruised during school vacations.

This is what cruises look like during school vacations.

It is what it is.

The little darlings don't get the entire week off around here...only 2 or 3 days

Edited by VASOXFANN

Most schools, at least the ones around here, don't have the entire week off for Thanksgiving, and taking a cruise isn't an appropriate excuse for a school absence. Did I expect there to be some kids whose lame parents would take them out of school for a cruise? Sure. Did I expect the ship to be beseiged by mobs of unruly brats? Not so much.

Maybe don't pass judgement on entire groups of people.

We take our elementary aged kids out of school for vacation. It's never been a problem. Schools are so dumbed down that missing a week is not going to screw them up.

Both of our kids are differently abled (autism, ADHD) so going on a cruise over a holiday or during the summer when there are going to be hundreds of kids isn't an option as my kids have developmental delays socially and emotionally. It's stressful for them to be around all those other "unruly" kids so we specifically try to go when there won't be tons of kids.

Anyway, I hardly think we are lame for taking our kids out of school for vacation. We both work and our kids are in school or special programs all year. We all need a vacation. As far as it being an appropriate excuse, the school has never so much as batted an eyelash.

A question for those recently on the Grandeur -- it has been quite a few years for us. There is a Giovanni's Table (as shown on the Deck Plans) aboard, correct?

We will be on board soon and were looking to make dining reservations for specialty dining restaurants, but nothing shows for Giovanni's Table. :confused:

I called number for Diamond Plus (and above #9). "Chuck" told me that specialty dining is not available to be scheduled for Holiday Cruises. When I told him that scheduling was showing as available for Chops Grill, Chef's Table, and Izumi, he told me that he would check. After 10-15 minutes he said his "contact" told him that specialty Dining inventory was being "adjusted" for specialty dining and to try again in a few days.

This was after "Chuck" told me that there probably was not a Giovanni's Table on Grandeur, before he checked with his "contact". Hence, my request.

Thank you for whatever assistance you may be able to offer.

NRayH

Maybe don't pass judgement on entire groups of people.

We take our elementary aged kids out of school for vacation. It's never been a problem. Schools are so dumbed down that missing a week is not going to screw them up.

Both of our kids are differently abled (autism, ADHD) so going on a cruise over a holiday or during the summer when there are going to be hundreds of kids isn't an option as my kids have developmental delays socially and emotionally. It's stressful for them to be around all those other "unruly" kids so we specifically try to go when there won't be tons of kids.

Anyway, I hardly think we are lame for taking our kids out of school for vacation. We both work and our kids are in school or special programs all year. We all need a vacation. As far as it being an appropriate excuse, the school has never so much as batted an eyelash.

Yay for you. I happen to have a different point of view, and I will think however I choose, thank you very much.

What I am asking of all parents is if you choose to have children and bring them on vacation, please keep proper watch and control over them. This is especially true of parents with kids with special issues for the safety of the children and other passengers. There was also a young man on our cruise who clearly had some mental issues, but his parents allowed him to wander around the pool deck unsupervised. Over the cruise, we saw him banging his head on a chair, screaming at and intimidating a group of very young children, yelling at other passengers, and getting mad that some kind of electronic device didn't work and smashing that in the vicinity of other people. The need for a vacation doesn't preempt the safety and security of other cruisers.

Edited by VASOXFANN

A question for those recently on the Grandeur -- it has been quite a few years for us. There is a Giovanni's Table (as shown on the Deck Plans) aboard, correct?

We will be on board soon and were looking to make dining reservations for specialty dining restaurants, but nothing shows for Giovanni's Table. :confused:

I called number for Diamond Plus (and above #9). "Chuck" told me that specialty dining is not available to be scheduled for Holiday Cruises. When I told him that scheduling was showing as available for Chops Grill, Chef's Table, and Izumi, he told me that he would check. After 10-15 minutes he said his "contact" told him that specialty Dining inventory was being "adjusted" for specialty dining and to try again in a few days.

This was after "Chuck" told me that there probably was not a Giovanni's Table on Grandeur, before he checked with his "contact". Hence, my request.

Thank you for whatever assistance you may be able to offer.

NRayH

There is definitely a Giovanni's Table on Grandeur

Giovanni's is on deck 6, as the plans show, enter through Schooner Bar.

There is definitely a Giovanni's Table on Grandeur

Thank you both. I guess I will wait a couple of days and try again, since I know that it is indeed there.

NRayH

Someone mentioned a few weeks ago that there was no longer an aerial act. Can anyone advise me if they do still have one or not? Thanks!

We were on Oct - Nov 12 and there currently is no aerial act. We were told there were technical issues. They revamped the Season's show to a floor show in the Centrum.

Also, there is Giovanni's onboard and we ate there this last trip. It wasn't as good as it used to be and the serving sizes are smaller. Also, there is no filet on the menu anymore. We were in and out in about 2 hours.

Edited by BND