England to Miami via Philladelphia

ruth1964

Hi! We are flying from Manchester to Miami, via Philly, arriving in Miami late on Fri 25 Nov 2005 precruise NOS. Royal Caribbean have arranged flights and hotel.

Could anyone please advise me on the transfer at Philly? We don't fly much and usually like direct flights - USA is a first for me and the family.

Unless they amend the flights times[!] we have about 3 hours before our connection to Miami.

Just wondering what the routine will be regarding luggage - will we need to collect it or is it 'held' and automatically loaded onto the connecting flight?

Also presume that by this being our first 'touchdown' will clear immigration in Philly. Anything we need to do at all in this regard?

All advice and help would be most appreciated.:)

THANKS Ruth1964:D

Ruth,

Yes, you will have to go through customs and immigration in Philadelphia. You will arrive at the International arrival hall at terminal A, collect your bags, go thorugh customs and immigration and then proceed to check in for your domestic (Miami) flight. Usually, after customs inspection, there will be a baggage check-in area for continuing flights. Look for that so that you don't have to haul your bags yourself down to the domestic counter.

Here is a link to the Philadelphia airport with lots of information, including an interactive map of the airport and the different terminals.

http://www.phl.org/terminal_map.html

I have not arrived back to the U.S. through Philadelphia, but in other U.S. airports you go through Immigration first, then to baggage claim, then Customs. So don't worry if they ask for your passports before you have a chance to get your bags. Just follow the crowds, there's pretty much only one way to go and everyone else is doing the same thing.

Do fill out the paperwork on the plane instead of trying to do it while waiting in line after you get there. The flight attendants should provide you with I-94 (or I-94W) forms and a Customs Declaration form. You'll need your passports to fill them out, so keep the passports where they'll be easy to reach while flying.

thanks for the replies and taking the time to write.

at least I now have some idea of what to expect.........

if I use the check in for onward travel [to avoid carrying luggage around for 3 hours!] what is my risk about losing it - does it increase, especially with it 'sitting' somewhere until my flight is available!!

i think the airline is USair, but have yet to get tickets to confirm....

will be packing a carryon for each of us, but would like any thoughts about chances of losing luggage.............

THANKS, Ruth1964.

Living in the Philadalphia area, I know the airport well. It has expanded tremendously over the past decade. It is now a very large airport. When you arrive, you will retrieve your luggage first, before you go through Customs (you can't get through customs without it). The Customs area is very large and you should be able to get through in less then 10 minutes. Once through customs, check in with the airline for your second leg of your trip. You can check in your luggage with the airline, and relax until you board your flight.

Have a fun trip.:D

Archived