Shopping on Board Question - Clothing

CruiseFuse

We've been trying to find extra swimsuits to purchase for our cruise. The problem is, we live in Illinois and it's way too darn cold here for anyone to be selling them right now (that we can find). Is it possible to buy them on the ship and, if so, does anyone have any idea about the cost. Unfortunately, our plane gets in to Ft. Lauderdale too late the night before we cruise and we leave on a Sunday, so shopping on Sunday morning is probably not an option either. (Unless someone is kind enough to set up a little shop at the port for us on Dec. 18)

Thanks for all the suggestions. Keep them coming. As a matter of fact, we went to a Sports Authority in Indiana yesterday. They had a lot of bikini tops, but no bottoms. Somehow, I think people would be a little offended if we only wore tops. Purchasing on-line isn't something I want to do. I prefer to try on before I buy. As a side note - the tops we saw were priced - on clearance sale - at $20 a piece. By chance - are there any shops close to the port? December is a huge tourist month in Florida, so I figure it wouldn't be impossible to find them there.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Keep them coming. As a matter of fact, we went to a Sports Authority in Indiana yesterday. They had a lot of bikini tops, but no bottoms. Somehow, I think people would be a little offended if we only wore tops. Purchasing on-line isn't something I want to do. I prefer to try on before I buy. As a side note - the tops we saw were priced - on clearance sale - at $20 a piece. By chance - are there any shops close to the port? December is a huge tourist month in Florida, so I figure it wouldn't be impossible to find them there.

If you dont want to go the online route and you wont have time to shop before boarding, I would suggest trying to find something at your first port of call. You could also try calling a few sporting goods stores in your area.

Good Luck.

I know you prefer not to buy online, but in a pinch ebay is GREAT to pick up some inexpensive suits. If you have a Dillards in your area, I know all the ones I have been to overbought tremendously and had tons of swimwear on clearance. But definitely do an ebay search - you might be surprised.

I also don't recall seeing swim suits in the shops on board the ship. At this point, as others have suggested, getting something online is going to be your best bet. Ebay is great because you can get something at a good price so if it isn't exactly what you wanted you aren't out a lot of $$. You should be able to pick something up at the ports you visit also.

I'm from Iowa so I'm in the same situation as you, but there is a little shop in my city that sells cruise/vacation/resort wear year round. Could you find something like that where you are??

I have seen some in the ship stores, just a handful, but they are usually expensive, and not something I would wear. If I were you, I would try a sporting good store like the other person suggested. Is there a Dick's sporting good around you? Or Sports Authority? They sometime have some cute ones. Good luck and have a great cruise.

I know you said you didn't want to buy from catalog or online--but this is as easy as it gets

Lands End usually has merchandise (out of season)--I bout long underwear from them in summer

Just for fun try online--then call--they have things that are not in current catalogs

If you purchase from them--then are not happy--you can return to Sears, for a refund

Good Luck

Nancy:)

I know you said you didn't want to buy from catalog or online--but this is as easy as it gets

Lands End usually has merchandise (out of season)--I bout long underwear from them in summer

I have purchased things from Lands End. Look on-line and then as Seal posted just call and order on the phone. They have great mix and match tops and bottoms.

Good Luck

We've been trying to find extra swimsuits to purchase for our cruise. The problem is, we live in Illinois and it's way too darn cold here for anyone to be selling them right now (that we can find). Is it possible to buy them on the ship and, if so, does anyone have any idea about the cost. Unfortunately, our plane gets in to Ft. Lauderdale too late the night before we cruise and we leave on a Sunday, so shopping on Sunday morning is probably not an option either. (Unless someone is kind enough to set up a little shop at the port for us on Dec. 18)

I would suggest you reconsider online..... JC Penney online has a ton os suits on clearance, and if they are shipped to the store, then you can return them to the store if they donot fit. I live in Florida, and our regular stores all are carrying winter coats right now (and it is 80's here today). No swimsuits to be found, except on a rare clearance rack.

Where in Illinois do you live? If you are anywhere near the NW suburbs of Chicago, it might be worth a trip to Woodfield Mall in Schaumburg. There is a store there called Everything But Water that sells nothing but swimwear and accessories year around. You can also shop their store on-line at http://www.everythingbutwater.com/. This is the only store in Illinois and there are none in Indiana.

Just for fun try online--then call--they have things that are not in current catalogs

If you purchase from them--then are not happy--you can return to Sears, for a refund

Lands End makes some of the best swimsuits I've ever bought, in terms of workmanship, cut and fabric. You may have to pay a little extra, but they will last forever. I don't know whether it's this way anymore, but it used to be they'd take anything back, no questions asked, if it had flaws or started falling apart.

I bought one suit from them that I wore for close to a decade before throwing it out. It was stained from lake water, but never tore or fell apart. I still could have used it, but decided it was time for a new one.

I bought a tank from them last summer for about $14 because it was on clearance. I highly recommend them, and no, I don't work for them! www.landsend.com

Your local consignment stores are likely to have some. The consignment stores in our area will only sell unused (original tags) swimsuits. If they don't have any left, they can probably tell you who had them in there and might be willing to contact the sellers who were returned merchandise for you.

QVC has some great suits and cover-ups. You can actually see them on models so you get a pretty good idea of how they fit as well.

When our luggage was lost on the last cruise, I spent most of the cruise trying to find a swimsuit - none on the ship. And at the ports, (Coz, Cayman, Jamaica) lots of suits, if you like either very skimpy (young teenage type) - the sizes also ran very small everywhere you went. I never did get one. I'm a size 10 normally and couldn't find anything where everything wasn't hanging out all over.

I'd take a chance with an on-line purchase before trying to buy one in a port. If you have Kohl's around there, they have fantastic prices right now on all summer stuff including suits (like 70% off). I also agree with the person who recommends Lands End

Good Luck

Thanks for all the suggestions. Keep them coming. As a matter of fact, we went to a Sports Authority in Indiana yesterday. They had a lot of bikini tops, but no bottoms.

Now I am trying to figure this one out. Are there a lot of women running around topless? Or are a lot of men buying just the bottoms? Why are they sold separately?

Well, you have a lot of suggestions below, so I am going to offer a different solution. Buy the tops you like an wear shorts.

Carnival does sell swimwear in the gift shop but the items are expensive, around $80 and up. Sometime near the end of the cruise they put certain items on sale. Your best bet is the Internet, many reputable retailers sell swimwear online. LandsEnd has great swimwear styles for all sizes and body types and they're on sale this time of year. Not being a fan of eBay, I can't make any recommendations there.

Archived