Adventure of the seas - cruising with kids question

scottw3

My apologies if this has been answered already, but when I searched, all I could find were very old threads.

My wife and I will be cruising next March on the Adeventure of the Seas. Our kids (age 2 and 4) will be coming with us. From what I've read there is no organized program for kids under 3 and the only option is in-room babysitting @ $19/hr. Is that correct? I know the 4 year old will be able to go to the adventure ocean program, which looks good. Can anyone comment who has cruised on this ship before with kids? Did you find the lack of the Royal Tots program a major drawback? How was the Adventure Ocean program work out? Any info and feedback would be great as my wife is super nervous about, well, pretty much everything. Thanks.

My apologies if this has been answered already, but when I searched, all I could find were very old threads.

My wife and I will be cruising next March on the Adeventure of the Seas. Our kids (age 2 and 4) will be coming with us. From what I've read there is no organized program for kids under 3 and the only option is in-room babysitting @ $19/hr. Is that correct? I know the 4 year old will be able to go to the adventure ocean program, which looks good. Can anyone comment who has cruised on this ship before with kids? Did you find the lack of the Royal Tots program a major drawback? How was the Adventure Ocean program work out? Any info and feedback would be great as my wife is super nervous about, well, pretty much everything. Thanks.

My wife and I come from the school of thought that as a Family Vacation, we should travel "as a family" ... we took our daughter on her first cruise when she was 18 months old, and we all had a blast. There was no organized AO program at that time, but there were random events for toddlers that we did attend (for example, every day a room was set up with Fischer Price toys, and staffed with AO counselors who were trained in early childhood development. All the kids -- and there were a lot that attended -- had a blast, and we enjoyed watching our daughter explore and develop social skills with the other kids.

We let our daughter go to the splash / spray pool (where kids of that age and not potty trained were allowed to go) and she had a blast.

We had meals together, we bonded as a family, we relaxed ... exactly what a family vacation should be.

There are folks who might suggest not taking a young child on a cruise, but we respectfully disagree ... Your kids will have a blast, and the memories will last for a lifetime.

Michael

Thanks for the reply Michael. I think our 2 year old would definitely enjoy the cruise; its just a little disappointing that there is no day care program during the day if we needed a little break.

Also, on a different topic, I didnt think there was an area for kids to swim that were not potty trained. Is there a special area?

Thanks for the reply Michael. I think our 2 year old would definitely enjoy the cruise; its just a little disappointing that there is no day care program during the day if we needed a little break.

Also, on a different topic, I didnt think there was an area for kids to swim that were not potty trained. Is there a special area?

I should have been more specific in my earlier post -- on the Freedom Class of ships, and I believe on the Oasis Class of ships, there is a "splash pool" area, with a spray, where kids who are not potty trained can get wet and enjoy. It's not hooked up to the main pool plumbing or sanitation, so non-potty trained kids ARE allowed in THAT specific area. This worked for us while our daughter was young (for what it's worth our daughter is now 10 years old)

I cannot speak for Voyageur class or "lower" if they have equivalent facilities in their pool area, as it's been a while since we were on those classes of ships.

Michael

Just a note...if you are in any cabin lower than a JS, there is only a shower...so a blow-up tub is useful for bathing kids who aren't used to showering...and it can double on the pool deck as a "splashy" area for your diapered one! Just empty it into a floor drain or shower drain...NOT into the pool or deck floor!

The Adventure has recently (10/16-11/16) been upgraded.They recently added a pool area on the main pool deck for babies and small children. They also were supposed to add Royal tots, which is an organized program for younger children. There was a problem with the recent dry dock due to hurricane Matthew and not all upgrades were completed. I know that the pool area is to be done by 12/10/16. Check the website for more information on the ship.

I am a nervous mom too. I get your wife's concerns. My kids are 21, 19, and 9 and have all been in the Adventure Ocean program on our past cruises. I have always had good experiences. They do a fantastic job.

I am sailing on Adventure in January. I am traveling with a 9 year old daughter, so we won't need the same facilities as you do. However, my kids were toddlers once and I get the need for adult time. Also check with the family cruising forum. They may have more answers for you.

Edited by khm1

Thanks everyone for the info. (For some reason I wasn't getting email notifications of replies). Its good to hear that there actually is a tots program on board (or at least babysitting out of the room during the day). I had 2 RC phone reps tell me there wasn't one, but then I got a call from a "dedicated" rep who assured me there was. Also good to hear about the baby splash area.

We've decided on getting 2 adjoining rooms which will hopefully make the trip a little easier/smoother. Thanks again everyone!

So... not sure this is still something you need opinions on, but as it happens we sailed on Adventure when my daughter was 4. She loved the Adventure Ocean activities -- she wasn't sure about being dropped off there the first time, but then she didn't want to leave. We'd get through lunch or dinner and she'd ask to go back.

So... not sure this is still something you need opinions on, but as it happens we sailed on Adventure when my daughter was 4. She loved the Adventure Ocean activities -- she wasn't sure about being dropped off there the first time, but then she didn't want to leave. We'd get through lunch or dinner and she'd ask to go back.

Thanks for the info. The more positive reviews I can get the better. Did they give you a ship phone to stay in contact with them? Also, I see that they have late night activities for the 3-5 age group. Our son's normal bedtime is 8pm. I'm wondering how he will do staying up late frequently. Did your daughter participate in any of the nightime activities?

Thanks for the info. The more positive reviews I can get the better. Did they give you a ship phone to stay in contact with them? Also, I see that they have late night activities for the 3-5 age group. Our son's normal bedtime is 8pm. I'm wondering how he will do staying up late frequently. Did your daughter participate in any of the nightime activities?

My daughter was 4 on our last cruise on Navigator (sister ship) and she became an adventure ocean goddess...she would do anything to spend time there! In Fact - she opted to use her vacation allowance to enjoy the 10-11pm hour at Adventure Ocean!!

It didn't take long for my kids to adjust to different hours...we also had some afternoon naps some days too! The afternoon (2-5pm) spot was the time we used the kids club the least and could get them to swim and take a nap. They insisted on being there at 8:55 for opening and would get picked up at dinner at 6:40 to ensure they didn't miss out on any fun!!

I hope you are all able to enjoy some adventure ocean fun on vacation! It's such a nice break for parents to know that their kids are close by and having fun! My 4 yo daughter made so many friends onboard! Everytime we would walk around with her she would see someone (usually another kid) she had met!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think that some ships have buzzers to reach parents if necessary. I'm not sure about this though. The best thing to do is to tell them where you plan to be while the kids are at Adventure Ocean.

Keep in mind that they do not observe daylight savings time in the Caribbean. Therefore, if you live where it is eastern standard time, it will be an hour earlier in San Juan, the ports of call, and the ship. During the summer months, the time is the same as EST. This may help a little with your little one staying up a bit later.

I know it is hard to not worry, but they really do a great job with the kids. If they didn't, you would certainly read about it on Cruise Critic! They do not want bad press.