Is your tripod as pretty as your camera?

pierces

Despite owning three of them, I don't use a tripod much. I personally don't need another tripod but I can appreciate a well-done piece of equipment when I see it. I think one of the attractions of the "retro" look is that back when retro things weren't retro yet, more attention was paid to the appearance of a product and less to wringing the last penny of profit through choosing the least expensive materials and other corner-cutting.

Practical? Maybe no. Pretty? Yup! :)

Cokin isn't really known for tripods but since their parent company also owns Slik, I guess offering this and stepping into the branded luxury market made sense to them.

Anyway, more pretty pictures here: http://cokin-filters.com/riviera/

stacks-image-9d09bc1-1200x1200.jpg

Dave

Dave,

Thank you for posting the link to share with us all. I love your writing and your photographs. Grocery Run is gorgeous and your One Size Fits All Almost is adorable. You are so right about anyone that does kiddos photo sittings.

Sandie

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Dave,

Thank you for posting the link to share with us all. I love your writing and your photographs. Grocery Run is gorgeous and your One Size Fits All Almost is adorable. You are so right about anyone that does kiddos photo sittings.

Sandie

Thank you Sandie. The kind words are appreciated.

Dave

Let get real that is not a great tripod to carry and use. Pretty does not cut it with good tripods.

It is pretty if I want to display it as an object in my den. :D

framer

Agreed but in a slightly different way. My travel tripod looks very... "travelled" and my heavy Giottos looks like you could mount an M2 Browning on it. Pretty or not, the Riviera is probably as well made and durable as any good tripod in its weight class and would "cut it" from a usability standpoint. However, the desire to keep it looking as good as it does might cause its owner to limit its use to a tame environment, which I assume would include your den. :)

Dave

I had a Huskie Quick Set IV that I bought in the late 60's. It was pretty ugly by the time I finally retired it a few years ago and picked up mid price Giottos. It looks great on the closet floor. Yes, I have one, but I rarely use it. Maybe I am like The Most Interesting Man in the World.. I don't usuall use a tripod but when I do.... it is Giottos that comfortably holds a 5D Mark III and a 300 2.8 when it had too.

My favorite tripod is not only good looking but a real pleasure to use. It is one of those rare products that is just right. It is happy in sand and water. Hot or cold temperatures just don't matter. Their head takes a bit of getting used to but after you figure it out it is very easy and intuitive. All of that and if you break it they fix it. But then I use a tripod most of the time...

http://www.riestripod.com/

Been wanting a light compact travel tripod for Ireland/England trip next May.

b72b4f20e0e9533fcb5369102ac84edf.jpg

Picked up this carbon fiber one this weekend. Amazingly rigid, just under 3 pounds even with the giant ball head, and the leg with foam unscrews, the center post can screw to it, and I have a monopod.

2c62eba0d7fbbd7e3f80da66de308992.jpg

And packs up nice and tiny. I'm sure I have a more compact head in my box-o-junk camera stash.

My tripod of choice which I shocked myself when I poney'd up and bought it was an RRS "Really Right Stuff" model TVC-34L

•Leg Material: Carbon Fiber

•Number of Leg Sections: 4

•Load Capacity: 50 lb / 23kg

•Maximum Height: 68.8" / 174.6cm

•Minimum Height: 4.0" / 101mm

•Folded Length: 24.4" / 621mm

•Weight: 4.7 lb / 2146g

RSS website http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/TVC-34L-Versa-series-3-4-sections-leg-long

TVC-34L.jpg

I use it with several different heads.

It fits in my checked suitcase.

IMHO it's pretty.

framer