Carnival Cruise Booking Lesson Learnt

Jamericannn

I have two future cruise booked and one was fully paid for but the other is not. Carnival offered upgrade for the one that is still not paid for but no upgrades for the one that's fully paid for. They were both booked under the same ES conditions. One rep say they could not offer discount for the one fully paid for. Next time I will leave $1 until final payment so I can qualify for upgrade.

What are some of the booking lessons you have learned?

is it because one cruise is NOT offering discounts The one thats fully paid for might be sold out?

Yep. The one in my signature. Those rooms are really nice. Frontal view as you sail. Floor to ceiling windows. 230 square feet

I'm on my phone so I can't see signatures. If this is the cruise that you were told there are no upgrades available, and the cabin holds as many people as you have, then call them back. While you might not qualify for the upgrades like for the Cyber Monday week (possibly due to it being an excluded category), then you should be able to pay the difference in the going rate minus your current rate.

Times like these it pays to have a PVP.

So I called back and was told by another agent that the reason why no upgrade was offered for the other room is because there are no upgrades for that category. Conflicting information.

On conflicting understanding of what and how you were told.

"I cannot offer you an upgrade on your paid-in-full cruise" may lead you to assume it's because you are paid in full that you aren't eligible.

"I cannot offer you an upgrade on your paid-in-full cruise because there are no upgrades available for that sailing" is a more complete explanation (which you subsequently received).

I did some more thinking and they do have the 6Js, but those are almost always full so that could be why

When they do the Best Available or 2 Category Upgrade Promos there are always restrictions into certain special categories.

For example, and depending on the ship:

Insides: 4A - 4G are standard inside. There would never be an upgrade included into 4S Spa Interiors

Ocean View: 6A - 6C are standard Ocean View.There would never be an upgrade included into 6J Panoramic OV.

Balcony: 8A - 8G are standard Balcony.There would never be an upgrade included into 8M / 8N Aft Extended or a 8P / 8S Spa Balcony or a 9C Aft wrap Balcony.

When they do the Best Available or 2 Category Upgrade Promos there are always restrictions into certain special categories.

For example, and depending on the ship:

Insides: 4A - 4G are standard inside. There would never be an upgrade included into 4S Spa Interiors

Ocean View: 6A - 6C are standard Ocean View.There would never be an upgrade included into 6J Panoramic OV.

Balcony: 8A - 8G are standard Balcony.There would never be an upgrade included into 8M / 8N Aft Extended or a 8P / 8S Spa Balcony or a 9C Aft wrap Balcony.

Yep which brings me to the last part of my statement that got omitted in your quote "Also when looking at the available upgrades like when they do a free 2 category upgrade, I haven't seen those as on option. Maybe because they have been sold out. It's always up to a 6C." Which is what I meant. It seems like the 6Js are a sort of specialty that aren't included and that's why I have only seen up to a 6C.

So thanks for confirming what I was thinking. It has nothing to do with the cruise being paid in full, but rather the restrictions on the category of upgrade.

Edited by firemanbobswife