Visa for China

Pam36

Do we need a Visa to go On the Millemium cruise 14/1/17 from Hongkong to Shanghai where we wil stay 4 nights. Somebody have expirience whith 144 h free visit? Withouth a Visa?

What is your full itinerary, especially before and after Shanghai?

Do we need a Visa to go On the Millemium cruise 14/1/17 from Hongkong to Shanghai where we wil stay 4 nights. Somebody have expirience whith 144 h free visit? Withouth a Visa?

I see that you are from Belgium. Most of the answers you will receive in this forum will be from US citizens, might not be the same for you. Best that you either check Millenium faq or check your Roll Call or the Shanghai consulate.

• 2 weeks later...
What is your full itinerary, especially before and after Shanghai?

Hi Pam _ do not know if you had an answer as yet.

Please see information and contacts below to assist:

http://sh-immigration.gov.cn/contactus.aspx?mail=1

For any information about the 144 hours transit policy in Shanghai, Jiangsu, and Zhejiang in east China, you are welcome to visit the official website (http://sh-immigration.gov.cn/default.aspx) or official Weibo (micro-blog) of the General Station of Shanghai Immigration Inspection for related information on exit and entry policies, or you can telephone the General Station of Shanghai Immigration Inspection or corresponding immigration inspection stations at the ports of entry where you plan to enter China. The hotline of the General Station of Shanghai Immigration Inspection is 0086-21-51105100

We r from Australia and I called shanghai Immig direct and was told we could get one at the shanghai port of entry (the 144 hr visa). Rgds Michael

Thank you for the reply, my husband phoned to Celebrity cruises

and they say we need the Visa when we board the cruise chip

In Hongkong.Pam

Hi. Pam,

I think your last port before Shanghai is South Korea.

Unless you return from Shanghai to South Korea (for instance you fly home via South Korea) you qualify for the free 144-day visa.

The dispensation includes Belgian nationals as well as most other Europeans, Americans, Canadians, Austraalians & New Zealanders.

http://sh-immigration.gov.cn/listPageEn.aspx?lx=40&id=4414

Plenty of folk have taken advantage of the free 144-hour Shanghai visa since it was introduced nearly a year ago, but for whatever reason Celebrity still insist that their passengers have a full Chinese visa. :confused:

Cruise line head offices are notorious for not knowing visa regulations, and I suggest you ask Celebrity in writing (e-mail) in case the person you spoke to is wrong or not up-to-date.

There may be a valid reason unknown to me why Celebrity don't allow their passengers to take advantage of the free 144-hour visa, and they do have the right to refuse you boarding, so unless you can get different information from them you have to comply with their requirements.

That does seem to be a huge waste of passengers' money, but not as wasteful as being denied boarding the ship. :eek:

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

We have just come back off the Millennium a few weeks back. Our stop in Shanghai was a port of call mid cruise, and because our next port was back in Japan we couldn't take advantage of the 144hr exemption. So to do a tour we need to get a visa. At embarkation in Yokohama, Japan, they were allowing passengers to board without visas, they just weren't allowed off in Shanghai. Has you disembark in Shanghai and are not staying longer than 144 hrs you will not need a visa, as you'll be able to take advantage of the exemption.