[LIVE] From the Serenade of the Seas 2-12 December 2016

Good Morning Everyone

We are not quite "LIVE' yet as I am posting from the Hilton Fort Lauderdale Marina Hotel where I have a nice view of Port Everglades from our 12th floor room.

The Serenade has not arrived yet and I got this shot of the port from our balcony a few minutes ago.

DSCN0225_zps4vldsxoa.jpg

We will be on a 10 night Southern Caribbean Cruise as shown below.

Itinerary%20Map_zpsacaaoz55.jpg

Sailing%20Itinerary_zpshpfshuue.jpg

We drove down yesterday from our home near Bunnell, FL after my Wife, Judith, dropped off her Service Dog, Booty, at the Pet Paradise in Palm Coast, FL. It is just too much trouble to have a Service Dog on the Ship and there are also "issues" taking Booty ashore in foreign ports. So I will assume Booty's duties to protect and take care of Judith during our cruise.

DSCN0195_zpskhjtwmai.jpg

We were on the Serenade in November 2015 and here is a photo of us taken just after we boarded the ship.

DSCN0945_zpsvcompfc3.jpg

The Serenade is scheduled to dock at Terminal 18, where the Allure and Harmony dock. Last year the main RCI parking lot was full but I was able to find a handicapped space in the auxiliary lot pretty close to the terminal. You can see our red Explorer parked just in front of the Serenade in this photo.

DSCN0944_zpsehvpetqv.jpg

Last year as we left the ship, the Porter hauled our luggage directly to the car and we were loaded up, paid the parking fee, and were on our way home in about 10 minutes from the time we walked out of the terminal exit. We are trading money for the higher cost RCI parking for convenience and time. For us, it is the right thing to do!

I am sitting here in our hotel room trying to keep an eye out for the Serenade in the hope that I can get a nice photo of her coming in.

Unfortunately, there is a cargo ship docked directly between where the Serenade will dock and our balcony.

Edited by Trainman-2

IN the past we have stayed at the Embassy Suites in Fort Lauderdale for the night before the cruise. This time we are at the Hilton Fort Lauderdale Marina and it looks like this will become out new "official" hotel for the nights bfore cruises.

The Hilton is less expensive than the Embassy and does not have the free evening cocktail hour or the morning buffet. Also, we are in a regular hotel room instead of a two room suite.

The Hilton has a nice little Bar and Grill next to the pool area where we had burgers for dinner last night.

DSCN0209_zpsjchcv5cx.jpg

The Hilton also has a Water Taxi stop.

DSCN0211_zpss90ja2e8.jpg

There are also yachts everywhere that remind us that we are poor. It is nice walking around checking out how the rich folks live.

DSCN0205_zps5zm9pp5g.jpg

DSCN0202_zpsy2lbat1f.jpg

DSCN0221_zpsdg2gitfh.jpg

DSCN0220_zpsw6mg27fb.jpg

We are going to be in a regular balcony cabin for this trip!

Our friends Kathie (aboat1) and Jack talked us into sailing with them and we were too late to get a handicapped cabin.

We will be cozy, but at sea!

They are coming over from south west Florida in a charter bus which will drop them off right at the terminal.

Bon Voyage! Have a wonderful cruise! Your information made us willing to give Hilton Marina a try. We are staying Hyatt Place in March, so we'll let you know how that goes...reviews overall have been mostly good, but mixed. Sounds like you're going to have a very relaxing cruise on the Serenade!