[LIVE] From the Serenade of the Seas 2-12 December 2016

I know that these "thingies" have a name but I don't remember it! I heard years ago that they were invented by the guys building the Panama Canal so that they could build some stable break waters.

DSCN0495_zpspcdnnhs4.jpg

Jim, I first encountered these at the Panama Canal in the 70s, but I don't think that was where they were first used. They are called dolos (more than 1... dolosse), the link below says it is a translation from Afrikaans meaning knuckle bones. Since it is on the internet it's gotta be true... right;)?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolos

Jim, I first encountered these at the Panama Canal in the 70s, but I don't think that was where they were first used. They are called dolos (more than 1... dolosse), the link below says it is a translation from Afrikaans meaning knuckle bones. Since it is on the internet it's gotta be true... right;)?

I believe those are used at the St. Maarten pier area too.

I'm following your cruise with great interest having been on her last December and have another booked for next March. Thank you for posting.

I have two questions concerning the rail tour in St Kitts. Did the bus that took you to and from the train have an aisle, and is the bus air conditioned?

Day 5 - Tuesday, December 6, 2016 - Basseterre, St. Kitts"

Today we are going on RCI's "Caribbean Scenic Railway Tour" which costs only $114 per person.

Photos later...

Did you purchase this through the Cruise Planner, or book it onboard? I was interested in doing this, but for this same itinerary for Serenade's 01/13/17 sailing, this excursion is listed at $159 pp. Even a couple of months ago, when some of the excursions were on sale, I don't think it was anywhere near the $114 you paid. $159 pp is too expensive for me to justify, but I would pay $114. It sounds like you got a great deal. I'm enjoying your review. I hope you and your wife continue to have a great time!

Tetrapods

I'm following your cruise with great interest having been on her last December and have another booked for next March. Thank you for posting.

I have two questions concerning the rail tour in St Kitts. Did the bus that took you to and from the train have an aisle, and is the bus air conditioned?

The bus had an Aisle with 2 seats on the right and 1 seat on the left.

They were air conditioned and really nice buses.

Enjoying your live review!

Antigua is a beautiful island. We got a taxi driver at the dock to give us a short two hour tour and really enjoyed it.

Have fun on what's left of your cruise!

Might I inquire how much he/she charged you for you adventure? Thanks.

I shot this photo of the Serenade as she sailed into port Everglades from the Hilton Hotel. We forgot our binoculars and without the lit up blue C&A emblem I couldn't tell what ship it was until in made for the RCI Terminal.

The smoke stack is now lit by flood lights.

DSCN0229_zpsjzo4pden.jpg

I wonder why they're doing that?! Odd. Btw, enjoying your cruise along with you, thanks as always for sharing and posting! Enjoy the rest of your cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Might I inquire how much he/she charged you for you adventure? Thanks.

I realized that we did not do a tour like this in Antigua. Most of the time we do just approach a taxi driver and negotiate a price for a two or three hour tour of an island. Never paid more than $25 or $30 per person and sometimes it is less than that. Some of our best tours were this type. But I was mistaken about Antigua. We actually did a tour with a company-Lawrence of Antigua- and had a wonderful time. Highly recommend his company. You can Google him, he has a website. I contacted him ahead of time to schedule our tour.

The cost of his tours varies depending on the length of time. He will customize a tour for you or you can choose one that he plans.

I realized that we did not do a tour like this in Antigua. Most of the time we do just approach a taxi driver and negotiate a price for a two or three hour tour of an island. Never paid more than $25 or $30 per person and sometimes it is less than that. Some of our best tours were this type. But I was mistaken about Antigua. We actually did a tour with a company-Lawrence of Antigua- and had a wonderful time. Highly recommend his company. You can Google him, he has a website. I contacted him ahead of time to schedule our tour.

The cost of his tours varies depending on the length of time. He will customize a tour for you or you can choose one that he plans.

Got it, thanks.

Did you purchase this through the Cruise Planner' date=' or book it onboard? I was interested in doing this, but for this same itinerary for Serenade's 01/13/17 sailing, this excursion is listed at $159 pp. Even a couple of months ago, when some of the excursions were on sale, I don't think it was anywhere near the $114 you paid. $159 pp is too expensive for me to justify, but I would pay $114. It sounds like you got a great deal. I'm enjoying your review. I hope you and your wife continue to have a great time![/quote']

We booked onboard!

Today was a day of rest!

We read and relaxed and took a good nap. Both of us are "pooped out" from all of the walking.

We did book two (2) new cruises for 2018 and got handicapped (accessible) cabins for both of them.

That's all for tonight folks...

Day 8 - Friday, December 9, 2016 - Philipsburg, St. Maarten

Good Morning Everyone,

We got good news from home yesterday! There was a moving van at our rental house in Palm Coast and our renter is actually moving out. We were worried that she would not and we would have to go through the legal process to evict her.

The house has been sold and we close the week after next.

We are constantly amazed at the size and operation of the privately owned and operated facility where our Grand Daughter, Lyric, has her gymnastics classes!

Yesterday she got a medal for climbing all of the way to the top of the hanging rope.

Lyric-03_zps6cktgamf.jpg

Lyric-02_zpslwbpaxfj.jpg

Lyric-01_zpsmlrbblut.jpg

A question for someone to answer:

When the ship is at sea, every now and then there is a brief "shudder" or "vibration" or a "small bounce" that passes through the ship.

They only last a second or two but we can feel them wherever we are on board.

A question for someone to answer:

When the ship is at sea, every now and then there is a brief "shudder" or "vibration" or a "small bounce" that passes through the ship.

They only last a second or two but we can feel them wherever we are on board.

Speed bump [emoji6]

Seriously though, I have no idea, but I do know what you are referring to!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Day 8 - Friday, December 9, 2016 - Philipsburg, St. Maarten

Good Morning Everyone,

We got good news from home yesterday! There was a moving van at our rental house in Palm Coast and our renter is actually moving out. We were worried that she would not and we would have to go through the legal process to evict her.

The house has been sold and we close the week after next.

Great news Jim [emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Forums