Final questions before boarding with kids

luckyinpa

I have 1 cruise under my belt but I’m traveling with my friend and her kids to Bahamas so I want to make sure I have all the bases covered:

1 all have state issued birth certificates and adult has govt ID.

2. to get off at each port the kids just swipe their room cards like adults do and they just need to swipe their cards to get back on (no birth certificates). Adult must carry ID as well.

3. when we check in at the port, we can have my credit card attached to my room key and my friend can have her CC attached to her room key and we can have the kids have no charging privileges.

4. I will be able to sign into both our accounts on iconcierge on my phone. (I’m in charge of monitoring expenses and she wont have a phone)

5. kids menu is the same including at all the specialty restaurants. But as long as we don’t ‘abuse’ the system, no one will care if they try one of our ‘crazy’ apps that they normally wouldn’t be exposed to. I’m sure the word calamari wont sound good to them anyway.

Am I forgetting anything?

teppanyaki/cagneys/ocean blue are our specialties. what did your kids try :)

We just got off the getaway a few weeks back with our 4 year old.

1. yes all adults must have their state issued ID with them when getting off in port. The only time you'll need to show them is to port security when getting back on the boat. During our last cruise, we only had one port that required this.

2.yes, each person will swipe their ship card. For our four year old we swiped it for her.

3. yes on all accounts.

4. Yes, you should be able to see the billing account for the room using the Iconcierge app or by using the tv in your room. I found the tv to be easiest.

5. Yes, the kids menu is the same in all of the restaurants. They typically want to keep the kiddos happy so a couple of times when our little one was hungry they brought chicken fingers right away and then a pizza when our food came. Yes, they can try any of your apps they just can't order them outright without a second charge in any of the specialty restaurants. In the MDR you can order them anything off the adult and kid menu. We also did this a few times as our little one loves salad. In Teppanyaki they even gave her, her own bowl of fried rice free of charge.

I hope this helps!!

That sounds right. My kids have been eating calamari since they had teeth. I don't know any kid who doesn't love fried calamari. My kids tried escargot cruising, my boys always order extra. All of my kids love habachi, they've been going since preschool (we have one a couple of miles away).

That sounds right. My kids have been eating calamari since they had teeth. I don't know any kid who doesn't love fried calamari. My kids tried escargot cruising, my boys always order extra. All of my kids love habachi, they've been going since preschool (we have one a couple of miles away).

My kid would never touch calamari with a ten foot pole. But I won't either. :)

ty for the info

also other than waiting on board to tell the steward, are any pre cruise email requests to split the beds ever effective?

Even if you are in a suite, sometimes the pre-concierge requests don't happen. I'm assuming no suite as the beds in suites don't split, but just tell the steward how you want them set up.

When I traveled with my grandchildren, all of us needed to show ID and ship's cards when returning to each port area. I would make sure your friend brought the birth certificates with her.

can i assume copies would do? hate to carry originals

1. all have state issued birth certificates and adult has govt ID.

Yes, all have to have at least their birth cert, adults over 16 have to have photo ID as well.

2. to get off at each port the kids just swipe their room cards like adults do and they just need to swipe their cards to get back on (no birth certificates). Adult must carry ID as well.

Yes to this as well, must bring all cards with when you exit and enter all must be scanned. Adults over 16 are asked to have photo ID

3. when we check in at the port, we can have my credit card attached to my room key and my friend can have her CC attached to her room key and we can have the kids have no charging privileges.

I usually do all of this on the website prior to sailing, but perhaps NCL doesn't do this? You can certainly set up the kids with a no$ cash account, your CC for you and their CC for them. My son and I go on cruises and last time he attached his CC to his onboard account, worked out well!

4. I will be able to sign into both our accounts on iconcierge on my phone. (I’m in charge of monitoring expenses and she wont have a phone)

Not sure about this one, don't have a smartphone. However she should be able to sign onto the onboard ship account on the TV and the concierge tv stations around the ship to check her balance. Kinda wish they would include the balance at the bottom of all receipts, but what can you do?

5. kids menu is the same including at all the specialty restaurants. But as long as we don’t ‘abuse’ the system, no one will care if they try one of our ‘crazy’ apps that they normally wouldn’t be exposed to. I’m sure the word calamari wont sound good to them anyway.

The kids can order off from any menu in the regular dining room and the kids menu for free in specialty dining facilities, however if you are in specialty dining it depends on your wait staff if the kids start eating off your plates I believe they can charge you for it. Maybe ask 1st? Each server is different

also other than waiting on board to tell the steward, are any pre cruise email requests to split the beds ever effective?

On our NCL profiles, my husband and I (same-sex couple) always ask to have the beds combined. We get on the ship and they are always separated. I assume the stewards see two male names on the manifest, so we must want separate beds. We just tell the steward and within a couple of hours it's fixed.

I just wonder why they have that question on the NCL profile page, and then never use the information.

--Michael

On our NCL profiles, my husband and I (same-sex couple) always ask to have the beds combined. We get on the ship and they are always separated. I assume the stewards see two male names on the manifest, so we must want separate beds. We just tell the steward and within a couple of hours it's fixed.

I just wonder why they have that question on the NCL profile page, and then never use the information.

--Michael

If it makes you feel better, I always request them together (heterosexual couple) and they are always apart.

It depends on your server. My 10 yr son loves to try different foods and he will order from the regular menu at the MDR's. When we ate at Le Bistro and he wanted the lamb entree and I was charged for that but the server did not charge for his soup and dessert- she put them on my SDP receipt. However at Cagney's, he ordered an app, ribeye steak for entree and dessert but the waiter said that he would charge it all against my SDP. :)

He loves calamari and when they had the fisherman's basket at O'Sheehan's on Sat night (even though we were eating at Cagney's later that night), we had to get one just so he could have the calamari. He tried the escargot at the MDR one night but did not like that at all! :D

Cruises are fun with tons of food - have your kids try all the varieties it has to offer. Enjoy!

If it makes you feel better, I always request them together (heterosexual couple) and they are always apart.

sounds like my request to have them separated is unnecessary. :)

and hey as long as its done by time to go to bed i dont care how long it would take.

this will be the kids first vacation that wasnt at the beach. i'm nervous as heck about it but my friend said they will love it. i'm glad i just was on BA so i can show them all around and not be totally in the dark.

i also know never to let them use mommys card in the arcade but i loved that multi puck hockey game and want to play that again!

I have 1 cruise under my belt but I’m traveling with my friend and her kids to Bahamas so I want to make sure I have all the bases covered:

1 all have state issued birth certificates and adult has govt ID.

Am I forgetting anything?

teppanyaki/cagneys/ocean blue are our specialties. what did your kids try :)

Does your friend have permission of the other parent to take the children out of the country (or a document of sole custody)?

Please see NCL's requirements for travel without *both* parents traveling, and also the USA regulations.

(These might not be enforced, but that's risky. So make sure you've got all of the proper documentation.)

do you think in FL and GSC just the kids birth certificates would be necessary?

I did not have to provide any documentation for my son for FL or GSC, only adults needed a govt issued ID. Only time I needed to provide my son's passport was in NYC.

Does your friend have permission of the other parent to take the children out of the country (or a document of sole custody)?

Please see NCL's requirements for travel without *both* parents traveling, and also the USA regulations.

(These might not be enforced, but that's risky. So make sure you've got all of the proper documentation.)

no father is on the birth certifcate so hopefully that is enough for them

Traveling with Minors and Young Adults:

Norwegian Cruise Line’s policy dictates that a minor or young adult must be accompanied in the same stateroom (or connecting stateroom) by a passenger 21 years of age or older at the time of boarding.

Minors – an individual under the age of 18 on the day of embarkation/boarding.

Edited by luckyinpa

no father is on the birth certifcate so hopefully that is enough for them

That should work.

(Especially given that it would be a bit difficult to get permission letters from "no one"...)

Good to know there shouldn't be a problem.

Have a great time!

You've really gotten "hooked" quickly. :)

(Same thing happened to DH, once I *finally* got him to try a cruise!)

That should work.

(Especially given that it would be a bit difficult to get permission letters from "no one"...)

Good to know there shouldn't be a problem.

Have a great time!

You've really gotten "hooked" quickly. :)

(Same thing happened to DH, once I *finally* got him to try a cruise!)

im just glad they finally took away free grats because i kept looking at prices but without that deal it just feels not worth it.:D heck i was pricing insides and solos even :eek: but i'd never get GTY with the few stories i've read

The birth certificates need to be state issued with a raised seal. Copies will not be accepted.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

at every port before getting back on the ship? i think ill roll the dice with copies. dont want to carry them in FL GSC or Nassau. then can follow us back to the cabin to see the originals if they want to.