New to Delray

mrobstad

I'm moving to Delray in a few weeks and have the following questions (Im a solo traveler):

1. What's the cheapest way to get to Miami or FLL? Will drive/park if that's top recommendation;

2. Is there any way you can let cruise lines know you're available at a moments notice?

Thanks!

Meg

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You mean Delray Beach? If so, once you learn your way around, Tri-Rail is an option but not door to door .... while I don't typically recommend Tri-rail for out of towners, locals are familiar enuf with the potential hazards (getting lost) to make it a low cost option even if there are several steps including UBER and or busses and transfers ... dd does it from West Palm now and likes the $ savings as compared to port parking.

So far as 'stand by' with a cruise line, I've been cruising since the 70's and have not heard of such a thing. Best bet is to establish a relationship with a good travel agent .... THEY can watch for bargains and call you.

I also will check the RCL website when ever the mood hits and typically can find low cost cruise fares for cruises leaving within a few weeks. Often the cheap seats ... but low prices. Other lines probably have this too but I hit RCL as I prefer to leave from Canaveral. For other lines here: Disney and bargain do not go in the same thought .... and the other lines that are here don't interest me ....

Edited by Capt_BJ

I just moved from West Palm and my husband has lived in most cities between Coral Gables and Jupiter throughout his life. He's actually a pilot so we travel a lot and use all three airports extensively.

Because of traffic, the cheapest way to go south is actually the TriRail. Depending on your amount of luggage it's doable. You would probably have to get a cab from the station to the cruise terminals, but if you're going to the airports they have free shuttles. The parking is also free at the TriRail stations.

I moved away before Uber was allowed so it might be the next cheapest. I've never cruised out of FLL so I'm not sure how the parking is at the cruise terminals if you were to take your own car but Miami was easy and well lit.

I know some people booked a car service but we typically took our own car.

Re: last minute deals we used a website that tracks cruises 90 days out and would e-mail us with specials. I'm not sure if we're allowed to discuss websites here, but they are available.

I hope this helps.

Thanks everyone. I'm not familiar with TriRail, but I'll definitely research it.

We are allowed to discuss websites, not travel agents. I know cruiseplum.com has a last minute search engine. I used to have a great PCC at NCL, but looking for one at all the majors now.

Thanks everyone. I'm not familiar with TriRail, but I'll definitely research it.

We are allowed to discuss websites, not travel agents. I know cruiseplum.com has a last minute search engine. I used to have a great PCC at NCL, but looking for one at all the majors now.

Again, get in contact with Sharon (royalcruz) as she is a local, a TA, and gets amazing deals.

A website is not going to get you any local, last minute deals.

I have booked a cruise a day before sailing.

Once the morning of the cruise, but that was through the cruise line, while waiting to get off the ship that I have just sailed on.

Delray has a trolly bus that runs up Atlantic Av. from the beach to the Tri-Rail station.

Thanks Blue, for the confidence, but we really aren't allowed to mention agents here.

Mrobstad, welcome to Delray! It's an awesome place to live!

Because Delray is so far north, your best price will probably be driving. At Port Everglades, many cruisers are happy with Park and Go to save about $6 a day, and the official cruise parking costs $15/day. Often the cheapest way to get to/from Port Miami (POM) is to get a ride from a friend to/from FLL and then take a shuttle like SAS to/from Miami from there for $15 pp each way. For POM we just park down there...we've only taken 4 night cruises from there so it's only $80 to park, and the most convenient way....it's not worth using an alternate inconvenient method to save $20 IMO. When we go to MIA to fly for longer vacations, we use a private Towne Car service and that costs about $100 each way from Ft Lauderdale. We live in Ft Lauderdale and lately our plans are to get a friend to take us to Port Everglades and then Uber home.

Thanks Royal! Coming from NY, I'm used to paying big for parking and transport, so even $15 a day is not bad.

I was surprised to see OP got a cruise the day of......my former PCC told me they set the manifest on a Thursday....

Thanks Royal! Coming from NY, I'm used to paying big for parking and transport, so even $15 a day is not bad.

I was surprised to see OP got a cruise the day of......my former PCC told me they set the manifest on a Thursday....

The latest I've ever booked a cruise is the day before. These days many ships are sailing full so last minute deals don't always exist even the month of the cruise. The best deals of the year are usually for the sailings in the first 2 weeks of December and January...for those, look for deals about 6-8 weeks before the sailing or you could miss out. September also has great deals but there aren't as many ships...you can usually book those during the week of the cruise for huge savings, but bear in mind that it's storm season.

Port Everglades costs $15/day and Port Miami costs $20/day. Park N Go at Port Everglades is cheapest if you book at least a month in advance, and if you book it the week of your cruise it's $15/day, so no point using it. They also have low cost parking for FLL. There is an affordable parking service for MIA at the airport Sheraton.