nuts for taking a toddler?

sgeffner

Gonna try this one again:

As Tatka mentioned, we took our DD when she was 15 months old on an Alaska RT from Vancouver in September 2004. It was all of our first cruise. We chose Celebrity based on price and the fact that they offered in-cabin babysitting. Here are some tips that worked for us:

1. Invest in or borrow a Sit-n-Stroll car seat/stroller combo. It is not the most wieldy thing in the world but it is relatively compact and takes up far less room than those SUV type of strollers which IMHO have no place on a cruiseship.

2. Invest in or borrow a Kelty backpack carrier for off ship excursions. A stroller really is not that feasible on any excursion, IMHO. We borrowed a several year old Kelty that had held up to many years of travel. We think anything else is inferior, but that is us. Our daughter went everywhere off the ship in it.

3. If your then 13 month old is walking, consider ditching the crib and bringing a collapsible Bed Rail from Safety First. Our stateroom attendant made up our sofa and we just slid the crib rail underneath the cushions. It looked like this:

sleepingcocoa.jpg

If you have more specific questions I will be happy to answer them, or I will add more when I awaken tomorrow.

My son is 5 and will be doing his 5th cruise with us this March. I have to say that when he was around your childs age that that was the toughest cruise we did. They just don't sit still, so I found myself doing laps around the ship, not really relaxing. They are too young to do the kids program, but you can get in cabin babysitting. We did the stroller, but we all know at that age sometimes they won't sit in it!

Flaggers Idea of the carrier sounds great, and the bed rail idea is also grand. It is true that the portable crib they put in your cabin takes up lots of space and they removed a chair in our cabin to put it in (We were on the Zenith, smaller ship and cabins that yours will be)

We are contimplating taking our baby on the next cruise we have planned in march. She will be 9 months old.

Like many have said, it should be your decision. It is what you feel is right and comfortable. They do have plenty of food and milk, so you will be fine there. Good luck and Enjoy your cruise!

As someone said, this is a personal decision, but we all have our ideas. For me, as a grandma I would have said to my kids; Do not take kids who are not at least old enough for the kids programs. You little one will not remember one thing about the cruise and there is no way you will enjoy yourselves as much. If you have someone who can play baby sitter, go and enjoy some time as a couple. If you do want to take a toddler you would have a better time if you can also take a baby sitter or someone from the family. Remember you will need to bring the stroller, the car seat plus diapers for a week and all the rest of the things babies need, as well as toys and things to keep him happy during long dinners. Of couse you can opt for the buffet each night or hire a baby sitter. Of course you also need to consider the shore excursions and will the ones you want to take fit into his schedule. Now, with that said, I have seen many little ones on cruises and they seem to be holding up well, I have seen just as many or more who would much prefer to be at home. As a TA, if you were to ask me and clients have: my answer would be, no, do not. Have I had clients take the toddlers, sure and I have always left the decision to them unless asked. NMnita

I have 5 kids, and I never took them on a cruise until they were teenagers (hubby and I need adult vacation time) anyway you need to get paper make four columns, write down all good reason on one side and bad things on other side ( taking child or leaving) good reasons like

Time to get together as a couple again or miss child so much we won't enjoy cruise

add up all the negatives and positives see which one wins

that is what we always do to make big decision

hope that helps, in the end you need to examine you and your partners feelings and make best decision for your family

Plumeria

Here are some more thoughts now that I am somewhat awake and alert. I won't try to diminish it for you, it was a lot of work. Any vacation with a child is going to be that way, but there are ways to relax and still be a parent.

We had a table for just the three of us. It worked out well when our daughter fussed and one of us had to take her out on deck as not to disturb others.

Late into the cruise, we discovered the Basketball court which was empty in the evenings but with closed doors it was perfect to let her toddle around and let her chase and bounce basketballs.

We used in-cabin babysitting on two nights. One night when we went to the speciality restaurant and on the second formal night when we had been invited to the Captain's table.

If you can afford it, I highly recommend a balcony. It was great just to vegetate, read or watch the world go by while my daughter slept. However, as a stay at home dad, there were times when I would nap at the same time as my daughter. I am not much into shopping, so that is what my wife did in the afternoons while we snoozed. It was quite the luxury to be able to do this.

We don't feel we missed out on any excursions because of our daughter. We did whale watching with Captain Larry in Juneau, flew with Island Wings to Misty Fjords in Ketchikan and walked to the raptor center in Sitka.

We are parents 24/7. We waited because of nature and our position in life for 9 years to have our daughter. We did all sorts of traveling when it was just us. We do not have the luxury of being able to bring someone with us or leaving her with elderly or working grandparents.

We still managed to get some alone time in with the in-cabin babysitting and plan on doing more of that on our upcoming cruise in January. We came back totally relaxed. Much more so than another couple I saw in Vancouver waiting to fly home who just had to do everything on and off the ship and were plum tuckered out.

As far as the persons who suggested Disney, well to date they still are not offering Alaskan cruises so that makes little sense.

Also others say she won't remember the trip, well in January of this year when we pulled up to the pier in Galveston and my daughter saw the ship, her first word was "Cruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuise".

Our 8 year old will take her 25th cruise this Jan. and I've have our 13 month old grandson along on a family cruise. My thoughts are this: Since you can't put them in the ships kid club they are too young to go. I agree they won't remember a thing. It will change everything you do from seeing the shows at night to enjoying a meal without interuptions and for certain curtail shore excrusions. Sure they are darling and the ships people know how to manage small toddlers but that's because they have to not that they want to. So you have to ask yourself the same question: Do you have to take them? If you answer yes because there is no one you can trust to leave a small child with then you really have no choice. It becomes a matter of safety for the child. It's also I have found not safe for a toddler on a moving ship. There are way too many areas that are not protected for accidents to happen.

If you do have someone you can leave them with that will not create a burden on that person then the child will be better off and no doubt you will enjoy your cruise much more.

flagger - Perhaps I should clarify my comments: I was trying to ask what was most important to the OP: a cruise to Alaska or a cruise vacation. If Alaska is the answer, then I think she should go as planned. However, if the a cruise vacation is more important, a Disney cruise to the Caribbean may be more advisable since they have children's progamming for toddlers.

I hope that clears up any confusion in my previous post.:)

Don't listen to any anti-child posts - they are not worried about your holiday, they are worried about theirs. :rolleyes:

Is it necessarily bad to worry about my vacation? I love kids and mine were the best behaved, smartest, and prettiest babies ever...if you don't believe it read some of my Christmas newsletters!:D

Here's something else to consider....Norwalk! If a virus does break out on the ship, it could be rough on a small child. And although there is a doctor on board...well.

As far as babysitters go...would you leave your child with a stranger at home? If not then certainly don't leave him/her with a stranger on a ship in international waters.

I am pretty sure the even Disney does not start their kids programs until age 2 and they must be potty trained. Please correct me if I am wrong or they might have changed but that's what I remember after doing Disney 4 times.

You bring up good points about sickness on a ship. A 13month old is not going remember a Disney cruise either unless you show them the photos 10 years later.

Here's information about Disney's Nursery directly from their website:

Flounder's Reef Nursery

"Babysitting Disney-style is a delight for children 12 weeks to 36 months in this "under the sea" soft play area with illustrations of Flounder, Scuttle and Sebastian from "The Little Mermaid." Kids can sleep in the "quiet room" or play in the "activity room" under the watchful eyes of trained Disney caregivers. And parents are given pagers so that they can always be in touch. " $5.00 per hour

They do not need to be potty trained for Flounder's Nursery. (However kids in the next age group, 3-7 years, must be potty trained to go to the club).

I dont think this has anything to do with child lovers or haters, the OP asked a question and there are many views: those who feel as I do, that cruising is better left to older kids are not child haters. I happen to be a mom, a grandma and a neighbor that all the kids love, or at least act like they do> I would do anything for any little one. I teach Sunday school to toddlers and pre schoolers but I still maintain kids under 3 or so are better left at home. For themselves, their parents and yes, the other cruisers. We do live in a world where it is nice to think of others. My kids were angels, ask me about them or when they were kids I would have told you how wonderful they were. Just today I was remembering. My two youngest are 13 months apart: they were hell on wheels now that I think about it. NNNita

You almost had me on the Disney kiddy watch until you put the $5 per hour.

After 2 years of age there is no charge for the kiddy programs. Most all cruise lines will offer babysitting either in a room or in your room for an hourly fee.

Don't listen to any anti-child posts - they are not worried about your holiday, they are worried about theirs. :rolleyes:

I really don't think the OP learned anything from this type of comment...and frankly, who is she to pass judgement on my intention.

Of course being from Toronto she must be right...how could she be anything but.

My Dh and I have traveled with our three children all 19mo apart on several cruises. Some ships like Celebrity they weren't old enough to go to the camps, we had a wonderful time. We are taking them all again on a 12 day cruise in March on Celebrity. The only thing I will suggest is early seating for dinner, and bring things for your child to do during the long dinner to play with. Thats what we have done and we always have people tell us how wonderful our children are during dinner.

The answer is YES and NO. You can't go wrong on this one. Going without your child would be a wonderful time.

Going with your child will be a wonderful time.

Flip a coin !

P.S. I would wait to take him if you have people that you are comfortable with to leave him with.

We are parents 24/7. We waited because of nature and our position in life for 9 years to have our daughter. We did all sorts of traveling when it was just us. We do not have the luxury of being able to bring someone with us or leaving her with elderly or working grandparents.

That is probably the most important thing I've read on any child-on-cruise thread.

Everyone needs to remember that everyone's circumstances are different so that labeling people as "Child haters' or "Child- Spoilers' doesn't happen.

In the situation with me and my DH, we got married young and had our kids pretty young, so unlike Flagger, we looked at cruising with them totally differently...meaning we didn't.

We only went on one cruise without them when they were little and had a great time...we waited until they were older to cruise again and took them with us (they were 16/14 then). During the years in between we did what I thought were more kid friendly vacations....of course this was a zillion years ago ;) and cruises seem to be more kid friendly these days...but I still don't think I'd take a toddler....especially at the age where they just become 'mobile' because they never want to sit still. That is definitely the hardest age in my opinion.

The bottom line is, what do you want from this vacation? You certainly aren't going to be able to relax. :p but that doesn't mean you won't have a good time.

I was never left at home as a child so I wouldn't leave my child either. Living on an African farm back then with several Km to the next neighbour leaving me at home was NEVER an option. As a parent on a cruise I just have to be aware that it is not just my vacation & that there are passengers onboard who are taking a vacation from their kids & don't want mine screaming the place down. There are ways to avoid problems with fellow guest and have an enjoyable cruise. for example if you have to leave the restaurant during the meal to go back to the cabin because the little guy is raising hell - have the Matre'd organize dinner is served in your cabin. It is no big deal. Sure a ship is not childproofed so you are going to have to be on your toes - but isn't that part of the fun of being a parent?

Bottom Line it isn't going to be as relaxing as it was when you cruised as a twosome but cruising with your child will have other joys and maybe the first one is a little difficult until you have yourself organized. From then on it just gets better.

P.S. I flew half way around the world with 18 months (and that was more than 30 years ago) and I do remember parts of that flight.......

Thanks for all of your honest and helpful responses. We are definitely taking our son on the cruise. We knew it would be a very different experience than cruising as a couple, but now I have a little better idea what we should expect.

Just a couple of warnings and other tidbits from personal experience.

If your kiddo isn't in "people food" mode yet, you'll want to be very early and very clear about your requirements for specific foods, juices, etc.. Don't feel bashful about this -- they're going to charge you a full adult fare for your little one. You can reach the dining folks about special requirements at 800-242-6374.

Take a small supply of favorite foods with you to get you through until the day after embarkation. Our box of baby food didn't appear until around 10:00am on the first actual day of the cruise.

Don't forget to take such foods with you on shore excursions! Either your schedule or availability are unlikely to make it possible to score a jar of Gerber's out there in the wilds of Costa Rica!

You'll find that the dining staff will often be willing to puree things for you that are already on the menu. If this is the time to start moving to new foods, it's an interesting opportunity. That said, routine is important to little ones, so don't plan a wholesale switch to new foods in the middle of an already very new experience.

Both early and late seating dining times can work for you, but don't forget that your toddler's schedule may be more ingrained. An early meal from the pasta bar to stave off hunger until a late seating can work well.

The outlet over the desk in your cabin will support a baby bottle warmer, no problem. While your room steward will likely help you if needed, it's a real convenience to pull some milk out of the fridge at odd hours and warm it up yourself rather than greeting your steward in your nightwear.

Don't underestimate the number of diapers you'll need, but understand that your itinerary and shore plans may facilitate the purchase of more at various ports at reasonable prices. If you've chosen to buy an airline seat for your infant, they get the full 50# suitcase privs as well. If you're going to do a "lap flight", remember how much space diapers can take up in your own suitcase.

The FV cabins are a great solution to the need for space to burn off a bit of energy. We've taken our grandkiddie on two cruises, one each in FV corner and FV non-corner cabins. Due to the construction of the veranda, the non-corner requires somewhat less supervision. Some of the corners have a bit of less than ideally protected area up near the front of the veranda near the wall to the cabin.

Our GS's first cruise was during the waning days of his crawling phase. He took his first unsupported steps on the Infinity. Understand that if your child isn't fully mobile yet, that represents an entirely different cruise experience than if they've got their sea legs and are setting new records for the 40 yd dash (frankly, an easier one!). The younger ones go where you go, and are likely used to stroller time. A fold-up version of quality construction is the ticket, and stores nicely. Larger wheels are important on shore excursions where pavement (if there is any) may be irregular.

At the point at which they can get up a full head of steam on their feet, but before they have the language skills to fully understand what's allowed and what's not, it's more of a challenge. There's about a 6 ~ 12 month period where it'd be a WHOLE lot easier to take the grandparents along to help. That's how we managed on Cruise #2, and I really DO recommend it.

Archived