PH on SOLSTICE

docmark

We are booked on PH Solstice #1611 for 12 nights,2 couples (4 total),and plan splitting 6 nights each bedroom and sofabed.Appreciate any suggestions regarding sofabed comfort such as mattress topper or extra mattress?or any other suggestion to improve on sofabed.

Also any suggestions on added privacy would be appreciated.

And anything else from those who have been in similar suite. thanks.

We've been in 1611 on three cruises and the sofa bed is very uncomfortable and not very big. You will feel an iron bar in the middle of your back. Not sure what you can do for added privacy because it is what it is.

We have been in 1611 three times (on Eclipse but the same layout) and will be in the same suite on Equinox two weeks today. I really cannot see how you can have any privacy for the people on the sofa bed unless those in the bedroom are happy to remain there or you keep the same hours.

I actually prefer the small guest bathroom to the main bathroom (because I have a dislike of large bathrooms) so that is not an issue.

There is a small wardrobe (closet) off the seating area but it is much smaller than the walk-in closet but, unless you swap clothes when you swap beds, I do not see how that works. The door to the bedroom closes off the closet.

But, there are two bigger problems. The people in the bedroom cannot leave the suite without passing through the main room. The sofa is close to the bedroom door. You could go via the balcony to bypass the sofabed but you would still be passing through the room. and The suite has a very small, open lobby so your butler cannot service the wet-bar area without entering the main room. You can solve the butler issue with the "do not disturb" sign but I cannot see how you can solve the access issue.

Sorry, I cannot be more positive.

I haven't been in the PH but I was in the RS on the Solstice in June. I was the one on the sofa bed. Pre ordered a mattress topper but didn't get one and then they didn't have one on day2. I then was given a whole extra mattress and slept very well. Found it very comfortable with no complaints and I am quite picky about beds and pillows. We are in the PH next summer and I am happily going to ask for an extra mattress at the start with confidence I will be comfortable. Wardrobe space was fine for 1, there has to be a little give and take on the privacy side ( I am with sister and BIL) but we managed fine. Our choice is between 2xS1 and a larger suite with me on the sofa bed and after experiencing both my vote goes to the larger suite.

..... there has to be a little give and take on the privacy side ( I am with sister and BIL) but we managed fine. Our choice is between 2xS1 and a larger suite with me on the sofa bed and after experiencing both my vote goes to the larger suite.

Agree. We frequently cruise with our adult son. Our favourite room is the M PH because both sets of sleepers can enter/exit room and balcony without disturbing each other and the butler can leave coffee and pastries in the pantry for all to raid!

We have frequently cruised in the RS on S class which at least has that second toilet. We all try to offer that 'give and take'...As early risers my husband and I will have shorts and T shirts ready on sea days (no banging of doors) and sneak out to cafe el bachio for an early morning coffee. On port days where we all love to watch the ship dock we will have a mutually agreed wake up time with coffee and pastries delivered and enjoy the balcony.

Rather than just agree to 'swap' rooms I would consider some other factors first...If one couple is older or has any joint issues they would be better in the real bed. Our son has always found the sofa bed comfortable but he is young! It is also nearer the floor than a standard bed, it can be harder to stand up from (extra mattress would help). Second factor to consider is if one couple tends to get up earlier than the other they would be much better in the living area where they can move about, go on the balcony, go for breakfast without worrying about waking the other couple...

All things being equal it may be best to just agree each night a wake up time and arrange coffee to be delivered....Bedroom folks can always watch TV, read for a while....

We have our first S class PH booked this Spring....with our son. Will be following this post with interest! I have no worries we won't have a great time, as Ayton lady says, it is about a bit of give and take and enjoying the room size and perks that come with a bigger suite.

Hope you have a great cruise docmark!

Second factor to consider is if one couple tends to get up earlier than the other they would be much better in the living area where they can move about, go on the balcony, go for breakfast without worrying about waking the other couple...

You can access the balcony without disturbing the others from both the bedroom and the sitting room. So that is not an issue.

All things being equal it may be best to just agree each night a wake up time and arrange coffee to be delivered....Bedroom folks can always watch TV, read for a while....

The problem with watching the TV is that both TVs start with a very loud "Bong Bong" before you can turn down the volume. Each TV switching on can be heard in the other room. This is not so bad in the bedroom as the bed is soooo far from the adjoining wall. However, the sofabed will be much closer.

One other thing I have remembered during the day is that there is nowhere close to a power socket in the main room where you can dry your hair and use a mirror at the same time. Those in that room may want to request a mirror and small table where hair can be dried.

Thanks for all the comments ,really appreciate it

Sounds like we need to ask for extra mattress ahead of time.

None of us are very young...all 4 over 55.

We will handle the morning time "start" without much difficulty;but still will look forward to ANY suggestions about sofabed .

....but still will look forward to ANY suggestions about sofabed .

...Michael's Club has a fine range of brandy and Scotch whiskeys....you can choose two bottles to have in suite.

Seriously, don't over worry yourselves.

After RS and PH enjoyment on many cruises (and several more booked) we can reassure you that you will go to bed floating on a cloud of being indulged beyond your dreams. After a wonderful day you will enjoy a pre dinner drink with pleasant guests in Michael's followed by a wonderful meal in Murano's followed by flowing beverages of your choice back in Michael's....after that a sunbed in the Solarium would do....

Hi Chemmo

Appreciate your "suggestions"!!

Our last cruise ,my wife and I were in RS,and enjoyed all you described except the sunbed!! Michael club was wonderful and concierge Anca beyond belief "fantastic"...Both my wife and I are red wine drinkers,and so our suite "allocation " will be wine instead of Scotch/brandy...but I do intend to indulge in some single malts this trip..

With your encouragements, and some luck in "sofabed improvements"hope to reach a comfortable level!!

hope to cross paths with you in some future cruises..

Hi Chemmo

Appreciate your "suggestions"!!

Our last cruise ,my wife and I were in RS,and enjoyed all you described except the sunbed!! Michael club was wonderful and concierge Anca beyond belief "fantastic"...Both my wife and I are red wine drinkers,and so our suite "allocation " will be wine instead of Scotch/brandy...but I do intend to indulge in some single malts this trip..

With your encouragements, and some luck in "sofabed improvements"hope to reach a comfortable level!!

hope to cross paths with you in some future cruises..

I am sure our paths will cross in the future...We have had some amazing suite cruises with X...our best ever being on the Solstice in March this year (RS) where nothing was too much trouble for the staff. They delighted in finding out little things to please us...

As we have all experienced over the years, planning and preparation are good, as is sharing any concerns pre cruise (or hotel stay for that matter..) with those who can sort any issues. However, there is a point at which one 'goes with the flow' and simply relaxes and enjoys...

Happy cruising!

...Michael's Club has a fine range of brandy and Scotch whiskeys....you can choose two bottles to have in suite.

Seriously, don't over worry yourselves.

After RS and PH enjoyment on many cruises (and several more booked) we can reassure you that you will go to bed floating on a cloud of being indulged beyond your dreams. After a wonderful day you will enjoy a pre dinner drink with pleasant guests in Michael's followed by a wonderful meal in Murano's followed by flowing beverages of your choice back in Michael's....after that a sunbed in the Solarium would do....

(Sigh of relief!) I did worry where your suggestions were going when I| started to read ... :eek: I know the PH is large but ...

(Sigh of relief!) I did worry where your suggestions were going when I| started to read ... :eek: I know the PH is large but ...

Nice....So looking forward to our S PH experience, having really enjoyed the S class RS, however, I am almost hoping I don't enjoy it too much!!

Now I do not know if I should wish you a great cruise or not.

Wish us a great cruise, Sue! Life is one long adventure and after our present year we really need that PH touch!

I do honestly think though, we will happily still consider RS on S class whereas on M class it has to be PH!

Sincere thanks again for your reviews which resulted in us trying the S PH!

Y..The problem with watching the TV is that both TVs start with a very loud "Bong Bong" before you can turn down the volume...

That is a pet peeve of mine. We have same brand of tv at home...the bong can be turned off thru the menu...I don't know why they can't do the same thing at hotels or on ship...I suppose it is just something they never thought to do??

Chemmo,I hope you have a great cruise on PH, where are are you going? ours is Australia-New Zeland in February..

Norway....On the Eclipse. We have done a few M class PH cruises and loved them but have struggled to justify the price difference on S class between the RS and PH with the balcony not being massive and knowing how comfortable as three guests we have been in a RS....

We have cruised twice on the Solstice. First cruise was Hawaii to Sydney a few years ago and then in March we met up with cruise friends from that cruise to cruise the South Pacific....We are meeting up with the same group March 2018....Just so nice when you meet up with likeminded cruisers! Hope you have Captain Zisis....my favourite Captain ever!

Obviously we didn't see all NZ has to offer but we loved the 'hole in the rock' cruise from Bay of Islands and our 'Hobbiton' visit. Sydney (what a shame it is half a world away) remains one of our favourite city stays ever and we have been blessed with visiting some amazing cities....

Hope you have an amazing cruise!

Edited by chemmo

We have only stayed in a PH once, but it was a fabulous experience! My husband and I had cruised a handful of times, and we talked some old friends into coming with us to Alaska. On the Mercury. We had 2 outside rooms, all booked. About 2 weeks before the cruise, our TA called and asked if we would like to trade those 2 rooms in, and share the PH with our friends. I could not say yes fast enough! The entire trip was wonderful, from dinner at the Captains table, to meeting and making some wonderful new friends. That was 2002, and we didn't think about waking each other or being caught au natural. I will say th foldout bed was just as bad as any other fold out we ever slept in. But overall Celebrity will always have a soft place in our hearts. We have cruised many times since then and will do a B2B2B on the Eclipse next April/May. I can't wait!

Have a great trip,

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Wish us a great cruise, Sue! Life is one long adventure and after our present year we really need that PH touch!

I do honestly think though, we will happily still consider RS on S class whereas on M class it has to be PH!

Sincere thanks again for your reviews which resulted in us trying the S PH!

Glad to! I hope you, and everyone else planning their PH cruise the very best cruise ever.

[However, in the spirit of full disclosure, we have just tested our resolve on the issue of PH v RS: with the new cruise releases coming up and the dreadful state of the pound we can see the time when the money runs out looming closer. The question we had to ask ourselves is would we change down to a RS again to cruise longer. I brought up the budgets and worked out the saving if we booked a RS. It remained a no-brainer - for us. The difference overall was not enough to convince us to change. Clearly the sums are different for everyone. We have extremely high travel insurance costs. Combined with the other add-ons, for us, the price difference between a RS and PH is not that significant. If we lived in Florida and did not have our complex health issues ...]