Limited time In PR.. What do we do with kids

SailAwayInAugust

We've spent quite a bit of time in Old San Juan before and after cruises. Love it! There is a local bus/hoho that does a circuit. Go to Castillo de San Cristobal, spend time watching the kite flyers, touring the fort, if you are lucky you can get good photos of ship's arriving & departing... Walk back down the hill past the Cathedral to the shopping streets. Have some mofumbo. (The other fort closer to the main portion of Old San Juan doesn't have the views, is smaller, not really a big deal.) Walk to the Harbor overlooks. Depending on the day you are there, find the local outdoor artists' market and browse their creations. Oh, opposite the cathedral is a small square, interesting statue, directions to a nearby children's museum. And keep an eye out for the many many cats who own the city and are well taken care of. Enjoy!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We've spent quite a bit of time in Old San Juan before and after cruises. Love it! There is a local bus/hoho that does a circuit. Go to Castillo de San Cristobal, spend time watching the kite flyers, touring the fort, if you are lucky you can get good photos of ship's arriving & departing... Walk back down the hill past the Cathedral to the shopping streets. Have some mofumbo. (The other fort closer to the main portion of Old San Juan doesn't have the views, is smaller, not really a big deal.) Walk to the Harbor overlooks. Depending on the day you are there, find the local outdoor artists' market and browse their creations. Oh, opposite the cathedral is a small square, interesting statue, directions to a nearby children's museum. And keep an eye out for the many many cats who own the city and are well taken care of. Enjoy!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If beach or Old san Juan is not your thing, Zipline or go to the Rainforest.

Not looking for a beach day for this particular port. We will be here with 2 kids ( 8 & 5 ) from 12-8pm. Looking for an authentic family friendly experience to make our limited time on the island worthwhile!

Thanks

If you're time is limited, I agree with the two members who recommended the forts. As one of them mentioned, there is kite flying that kids seem to enjoy at Fort El Morro. I have no personal experience, but I've seen other posts where a lot of little souvenir shops in the area sell cheap kites to fly. It's also a lot of fun exploring the forts, not to mention the great views. Fort San Cristobal, the one closest to the ships, has a lot of cool areas (small rooms, tunnels) for kids to explore. Both have cannons and a lot of stuff kids those ages would think is cool. :)

Edited by pghsteelerfan

Links to a couple of Old San Juan galleries from our 2013 trip - these include shots of the two forts, but not the kite flying that I was looking for! Maybe later.

By the way, if you do go to both forts, don't try to walk between them - use the free "trolley" bus. It is further than it looks and your kids will need their energy for running up and down stairs in the forts.

http://photos.stanhalpin.com/p803359790

http://photos.stanhalpin.com/p1027205303