Live and Solo from Anthem of the Seas - 12/9/16

I was on the Anthem in October. One thing you didn't mention was the escape room.

Have you done that? If not, get reservations like now. As a solo, you shouldn't have a problem squeezing in somewhere. Its a lot of fun for an hour or so. If you've done it already, disregard, because its probably the same thing since last time.

Please review your experience with Groundlink for others who are always asking about the cost of Manhattan to Cape Liberty transportation. Hudson Yards is on the west side just below the Lincoln Tunnel with easy access to both the Lincoln and Holland Tunnel. I would expect a quote to be more from Times Square or midtown central.

What is your final cost after the $25 and $15 discounts? What Tolls were charged? The expected tip seems to be 18-20% on the base rate.

Of the car services that I have used in the city, GroundLink is by far my favorite. From my experience, they have the nicest cars and the most professional drivers. I have not used their app much, but it also does a good job with tracking your ride and ETA.

I haven't received an email with my final receipt, but my initial total estimate for the trip from midtown to the port was just under $44. I suspect there may be a toll from the Holland tunnel, but i believe that will come in under $20.

A tip for anyone considering GroundLink (and again, I'm highly recommending the service - especially with the $25 referral with the code "bipua") just note that "Cape Liberty Port" will show up as a regular transportation hub, but that will not direct your driver to the correct portion of the port. Be sure to enter the full address as provided by Royal Caribbean.

I'll try to update with final cost as soon as I get the receipt.

As planned, I arrived to Cape Liberty right at 10:30. There was already some congestion getting to the port so I was able to get to the dropoff point about 15 minutes later at 10:15. My driver was just as excited as I was to see the ship up close, which only kept the energy up as I crept closer to Anthem.

By 10:45 I was unloaded of my belongings and waited about a minute to tag my luggage. The tech geek inside of me was slightly disappointed that Royal is no longer offering the RFID tracking of the luggage anymore but all of my bags were quickly loaded by the porter.

Inside was a bit of a different story. Last year when I boarded Anthem, I was immediately approached by a check-in person with tablet in teal. If there is no wait, this is absolutely a terrific system to get people checked-in. Unfortunately, there were several people already in the terminal so instead of a single person jumping at the opportunity to check me in, i had to navigate several very disorganized lines in order to make my way to a tablet.

After a short, but grueling, wait (get me onboard!) I quickly checked in. The representative checked my security photo previously uploaded, scanned my passport but interestingly enough did not ask me any health-related questions. That seemed a bit odd, but since I have been healthy I was just ready to get right on the ship!

I would have breezed through security if I had not been stuck behind a family not familiar with the fact that metal in your pockets sets off the metal detectors (why isn’t there a pre-check line here!?).

Even though I hit a few pesky lines in the terminal I was onboard the ship by 11:10. Not as fast as last year’s trip, but pretty darn fast. The best part? There was no waiting for anything but humans--I boarded as soon as I got through security!

Once onboard, I made a beeline for two70 Cafe where I had an enjoyable sandwich and salad. Continuing my efficiency, I made my way to the bar in two70 before 11:45!

I enjoyed two70 until rooms were ready promptly at 1:02pm (despite an announcement in the terminal that they would not be ready until 1:30). While I am slightly disappointed that the bed in the room is not next to the balcony, I will certainly prevail. I met my stateroom attendant Dane, who confirmed that there are no longer any mattress toppers--but he will be adding an additional comforter under my sheets tomorrow night (he did offer tonight, but I’m in no rush--I’m drinking at a steady enough pace I’ll fall asleep plenty fast enough).

The muster drill lasted a bit longer than usual, but overall it was painless.

While it was in the mid-30s during sailaway, one thing that did surprise me was that there was no music of DJ at the pool during sail-away. I made it worked and had a few drinks in my massive parka and enjoyed the views as we sailed away from the city at sunset. For those reporting some cruises turning north towards Manhattan to sail by the Statue of Liberty - that did not happen on this voyage.

After sailaway, I grabbed a few slices at Sorentos to hold me off until dinner and made my way to two70 for an espresso martini with Suzie Q, who is making quick progress on becoming my go-to bartender on this cruise!

Spent some time in the cabin now to catch y’all up, but getting ready to shower and find some food. I think I’ll be looking at Michael’s tonight for a burger.

For now-- cheers, friends

Even better: the satisfaction of driving by your office on your way out of town while everyone else works away.

0290c323afc7373aeff06284a97581b5.jpg

🖐

Now it really feels like vacation has started.

LOL...you are wrong for that but I agree...it does feel darn good that your coworkers are working and you're on vacation :cool:

Thanks to those who have commented already, nice to know I'm not just spitting endless rants into the void :)

Heading to Anthem now from midtown Manhattan, hoping to arrive by 10:30 before the traffic congestion starts, as it can get dreadfully slow once that happens.

Getting to the pier:

While it’s certainly easier than commuting to Florida or another Southern port, getting to Cape Liberty from NYC is not as cheap or easy to get to as I would like, but this is probably only a major headache for anyone traveling from Manhattan directly with limited access to a car like myself.

Unfortunately there is no public transportation that is overly turnkey for this trip, and unless you are getting dropped off by a chartered bus or hotel shuttle you will be arriving to the port via your own car (or your aunt’s/daughter’s/dog walkers/cousin’s/etc.) or being driven by a private service. The trip from my apartment in Hudson Yards to Cape Liberty in Bayonne is typically right around a half hour.

I’m en route via GroundLink. I scored a nice $25 discount by referring myself from my corporate GroundLink account (gotta get crafty), plus an additional $15 off using the Chrome extension, Honey, which automatically searches the web for a variety of coupon codes for whatever site you’re using (highly recommended). While this did make it cheaper than other car services I’ve taken to Cape Liberty (Dial 7 or Carmel), GroundLink is by far the best car service I’ve used in Manhattan so it's a win-win for everybody. Thank you Aaron K. in finance for bring GL to my world. Depending on what final tolls look like, I’m looking at about $50 in a black Suburban door to door.

Side note: if you want to try GroundLink AND get $25 off your first ride (should have lead with the free $25), use my referral code “bipua”. All you have to do is sign up and book a ride for an immediate discount on your first ride!

I’ve already completed my check-in online, including credit card and security photo, so I’m hoping it will be a quick boarding process.

More to come...

Used your referral code to get $25 off. Thank you and enjoy your $25 off as well.

Thank you so much for this review. I am always "persuaded" to manage trips for my family - nine people to Hawaii last year, 13 people on Anthem next July (I used to be a travel agent), so a review like this is very helpful. You already answered a few questions I needed clarification on, so I will definitely continue to follow along!

Really enjoying the review so far.

A few questions when you have a chance:

-How is traditional dining working out on the ship so far? Are the menus the same fleetwide menus or are they at all unique to the Anthem? Did they keep anything from Dynamic dining?

-If you see any officers or management, would you be able to find out the real deal with the tribute bands. Many cruisers like us booked the ship for the unique entertainment and this was a big selling point. Any chance these tribute bands will be on your sailing or any of the remaining December sailings?

-Is the nightclub in music hall every night or do they switch venues?

-How is the live music in general?

-Does the Windjammer have a NY deli? Royal Caribbean posted a detailed video about the detailed offerings mimicking famous new York delis but it never seems to have been implemented.

Thanks!

Hope you are enjoying your cruise.

When you have a chance, is there any chance you can provide insight on the traditional dining menus? Are they at all special to the Anthem and did they use any items from dynamic dining?

We are cruise later in December and are concerned regarding the entertainment and music. Someone else on your cruise reported and confirmed what other have commented on regarding entertainment cuts. Is there any chance you can check with management regarding:

-Cuts to the well-advertised tribute bands on Anthem at Music Hall

-Lack of live music at Music Hall (which was heavily advertised as a venue dedicated to live music). Another cruiser on your sailing said night 1 was a disco and night 2 was Karaoke with no live music at Music Hall

-Lack of a nightclub on night 2 (the current cruiser reported Music Hall was only used for Karaoke on night 2)

-Cut to entertainment such as the comedian

Appreciate any updates. Hope you manage to still enjoy.

Hope you are enjoying your cruise.

When you have a chance, is there any chance you can provide insight on the traditional dining menus? Are they at all special to the Anthem and did they use any items from dynamic dining?

We are cruise later in December and are concerned regarding the entertainment and music. Someone else on your cruise reported and confirmed what other have commented on regarding entertainment cuts. Is there any chance you can check with management regarding:

-Cuts to the well-advertised tribute bands on Anthem at Music Hall

-Lack of live music at Music Hall (which was heavily advertised as a venue dedicated to live music). Another cruiser on your sailing said night 1 was a disco and night 2 was Karaoke with no live music at Music Hall

-Lack of a nightclub on night 2 (the current cruiser reported Music Hall was only used for Karaoke on night 2)

-Cut to entertainment such as the comedian

Appreciate any updates. Hope you manage to still enjoy.

I haven't been in any of the main dining rooms just yet (ate at Michael's night 1 and at Jamie's last night), however I have spoken to people who have shared that they thought it was the same menu that has been rolled out to the rest of the fleet. Different menus by dining room have left with Dynamic Dining so no unique offerings in any of the dining rooms.

I haven't seen any tribute bands listed in the compas, but there has been no shortage of live music. Seems there is always at least one venue with some sort of live music open at any one point in time -- however not in the Music Hall. Night 1 had Karaoke and then DJ afterwards, and then last night was just a DJ most of the night. Unfortunately I read your comment right after I had met the Hotel Director (that was pretty cool), but if I run into him again I'll see if he has anything to share.

We were told that the comedian who was supposed to perform during the opening show had missed the ship, but perhaps that's just what they were telling us.

So far, everything has been great, I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything with any of the cuts, but the week is young.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

is the cruise compass given to you when boarding, or do you have to wait until your room is ready?

You can get a Cruise Compass from the wall shelves near Guest Services. You may get a summary of the cruise at check-in.

Thank you very much for the details. Glad to hear you are enjoying your cruise. Really enjoying the live report.

If you do happen to see the hotel director, activities manager, or cruise director without going out of your way, would definitely be interested in the cuts to the tribute bands and the lack of live music at Music Hall. Really had been looking forward to this for our holiday cruise. Hope you enjoy the rest of the week.

Hope you are enjoying your cruise! I'm loving the live review. How was the weather on the 1st sea day?

Manageable. I'm midway through an update but had to go to dinner so will hopefully post it tomorrow.

I'm sad to report this is the worst weather I've ever had on a cruise. That being said, in no way has it made my trip any less enjoyable.

Day 2 was mild but still not warm enough to be outside without jackets until later at night. Today in Florida it was overcast and rainy all day, but a warm-ish temperature.

Unfortunately the forecast isn't looking incredible the next few days: storms predicted in the Bahamas so it will be interesting to see if we maintain the tender port in Coco Cay.

But if nothing else, this weather has done nothing but prove how wonderful this ship is at cold weather cruising. The pools in the Solarium were empty day 1 and 2 for painting but were full and enjoyable today.

Hope you continue to enjoy!