Mahogany Beach Snorkel Question

The_Graphic1

We are going to be in Roatan the first part of February with friends. We're going to book the Mahogany Bay Relax on the Beach package with Carnival so we have an inexpensive and easy way to meet up part way through the day on a beach. My wife and I are going to snorkel and thought about booking the Relax on the Beach Plus Snorkel Package. Does anyone know if there is any difference in the two packages other than them supplying snorkel gear? We already have our own gear so if that's the only difference we'll just do the cheaper one and use our own gear, which we prefer to do anyhow.

Also, is there any difference in the relax & kayak package and this one other than them supplying a kayak?

Thanks

Edited by The_Graphic1

I have not used the packages. But I'll say, from past experience at Mahogany Bay, if you are bringing your own snorkeling gear, you don't need a snorkel package. Snorkeling is NOT great at MBCC. There is some sea life toward the small pier near the entrance. But the rest of the cove is soft silty bottom.

For kayaking, you'll need to check how long you can use the kayak in the package. if all day, that might be worth it, might not. They rent them by the 1/2 hour and they care relatively expensive, $20-$30, as I recall. You can only kayak in the small lagoon adjacent to the beach. There are dolphin cages there too. They will not let you paddle into the main cove nor into the ocean. Condition of kayaks may not be best. BIL and I each took out a double, more stable than the singles at the time. We went around the lagoon twice in the 30 minutes and still had time left if we wanted it.

Biggest reason to get a package is to get a clamshell or series of clamshell that line the front of the beach next to the water. These aren't open/ free to anyone. Otherwise, DIY would be a more flexible and maybe less total $ way to go.

Just my opine.

Thanks. This is our first visit to Roatan. The more I'm looking at things the more it looks like Mahogany may not be the best option and we are probably better off heading to West Beach to have better water and better snorkeling.

I agree if easy beach access to boat free reef snorkeling is the goal, West Bay Beach is the answer. The ships offer Tabyana which would give you grand snorkeling steps from your lounger.

Side note ~ West Bay Beach is not to be confused with West End Village. :0)

Edited by Guest 2000